Now reading...

finally checking out the guy in my avatar

Georges Rodenbach- Bruges La Morte

Georges_Rodenbach-.JPG

my suspicion that a guy who looked so much like me had to be talented was right... strongly recommended if you like dark late 19th century stuff...

just placed an order for Cruel Tales by Rodenbachs friend Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roberto Bolano: 2666

Not sure when/if I will get to this. I do have Bolano's The Savage Detectives, and it is "on deck," so to speak.

I just finished Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union (particularly appropriate that it is snowing yet again -- one thing that seems weird is that he talks about cold and snow but it just doesn't seem bone chillingly cold -- maybe it takes place in what should be spring or something). I enjoyed it greatly and yet I felt a little let down by the ending. It was almost as if it morphed from a riff on Hammett/Chandler to a neo-noir like Chinatown, specifically in terms of the scale of the conspiracy. Of course, there are also a handful of pratfalls in the middle, and maybe Chabon is riffing on some of the 1970s detective films here (Long Goodbye) that play the genre for laughs a bit. So maybe he is doing a metacritical riff on the detective genre (a little like Joyce's Ulysses is a riff on all English literature). Well, if I ever run into Chabon, I will ask him.

Right now I am in the middle of Chuck Klosterman's Downtown Owl, which is a novel set in rural North Dakota. I'm feeling he has just a bit too much distance from these characters (maybe a bit too snobby about people who never escaped the small towns like he did) and maybe it would have been a bit stronger if he had written it before moving to NYC. But it's an entertaining read so far.

And then I should be able to start the Bolano.

8th grade seems about right as a definition of the "Golden Age of Science Fiction."

You've got a point...and come to think, that's about when I first read most of the Heinlein juveniles. And the summer vacation after 8th grade is when I first got into Stapledon.

I wonder what it would have been like to have read Watchmen back then.

I pretty much gave up comics before I was 25, seemed rather silly to be reading them. . . but when the graphic novels started coming out I tried a few, namely Ronin, The Black Knight and The Wathmen (I didn't buy the individual issues, waited til these were bound together in a volume.) These three were pretty good. I was 33 though and the only comic I started to collect then was issues of Kitchen Sink's "The Spirit" because I had tried to get copies of Spirit stories since 1965 and don't think I'll ever be too old for The Spirit!

My son gave me this for Xmas in a paperback 3 volume boxed edition. I'm away from home right now and took the first volume

(books 1-30) with me. I'm just getting into it but quite like it so far. Very well translated it seems to me. (ie the English is not in the least stilted-- can't tell that it's a translation-- though I of course can't say how close it is to the original.)

bouncin´ with bartok, the incomplete works of richard twardzik by jack chambers.

(but only a few pages per day when i go to bed and that´s normaly so late that i can read only a little bit before my eyes close automatically.... so it will take a long time to finish this very interesting book)

keep boppin´

marcel

My son gave me this for Xmas in a paperback 3 volume boxed edition. I'm away from home right now and took the first volume

(books 1-30) with me. I'm just getting into it but quite like it so far. Very well translated it seems to me. (ie the English is not in the least stilted-- can't tell that it's a translation-- though I of course can't say how close it is to the original.)

Bolanos translator is quite amazing (IMHO).

Bolanos translator is quite amazing (IMHO).

I've heard lots of good things about Bolano. I'll be getting this.

I'm one chapter away from finishing Team of Rivals, a fascinating portrait of behind the scenes politics during the Lincoln Administration.

On deck:

Non-fiction: Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything

Fiction: Phillip K Dick's Library of America volume Four Novels of the 1960s. I've never read him, IIRC.

I'll also be teaching Night and Jane Eyre as well as English Romantic Poetry, so I'll have my hands full.

Peace,

Blue Trane

Just re-read Charles Drazin's In Search of the Third Man. A good book to read if you've just re-watched The Third Man for the millionth time. The chapter on the differences between the original British cut and the American cut of the film is particularly fascinating, especially if, like Drazin, you've long felt that the American cut is clearly inferior.

I'm on a huge Orson Welles kick right now--reading Simon Callow's THE ROAD TO XANADU, volume 1 of his Welles bio, and just ordered HELLO, AMERICANS (volume 2) as well as Jim Naremore's THE MAGIC WORLD OF ORSON WELLES. (Naremore teaches here at IU; he wrote a very good book on film noir as well, and he's actually in a Night Lights program I did several years ago about jazz and postwar French cinema.)

I'm on a huge Orson Welles kick right now--reading Simon Callow's THE ROAD TO XANADU, volume 1 of his Welles bio, and just ordered HELLO, AMERICANS (volume 2) as well as Jim Naremore's THE MAGIC WORLD OF ORSON WELLES. (Naremore teaches here at IU; he wrote a very good book on film noir as well, and he's actually in a Night Lights program I did several years ago about jazz and postwar French cinema.)

I've read both those Naremore books. He's a solid writer; the title of the Welles book, by the way, was foisted on him by the publisher.

41mcYyfS8IL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've finished The Man In The High Castle and am now re-reading (after what has to be 25+years) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I'm juggling with it 41sumXjIe5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg-a picaresque novel Johnny One-Eye, A Tale of the American Revolution by Jerome Charyn and

4130HWHH8DL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg-my winter science fix-A Short History of Nearly Everything in my continuing struggle to become scientifically literate-yes that was me the Biology teacher caught snoring when the lights went down and the overhead projector snapped on. When I retire from school teaching, I definitely plan to study biology, physics and more history, just for the sheer pleasure found in exercising my curiosity.