Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't read it for years, but I recall thinking that Blish's "A Case of Conscience" was very good.

I also read A Case of Conscience a few months ago, but its theological slant wasn't my cup of tea, leaving Cities in Flight as the preferred read.

I read A Case of Conscience years ago and remember liking it. So, finally convinced, I started on the Cities in Flight books (I have the four old Avon paperbacks) today.

Haven't read it for years, but I recall thinking that Blish's "A Case of Conscience" was very good.

I also read A Case of Conscience a few months ago, but its theological slant wasn't my cup of tea, leaving Cities in Flight as the preferred read.

I read A Case of Conscience years ago and remember liking it. So, finally convinced, I started on the Cities in Flight books (I have the four old Avon paperbacks) today.

That's funny. I hated A Case of Conscience, specifically because of the conceit that an entire planet of non-religious reptilian aliens essentially existed solely to "test" the faith of a Catholic priest. Might as well call it St. Anthony in Space. I probably mentioned that I am boycotting G.K. Chesterton for similar reasons.

I also recall that much of it was a bit of a chore to get through, accomplished mainly because I was also a dutiful young SF fan. (That's also the only way I got through Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, which was still, THANK GOD, a trilogy back then.)

Wow. I've read the Foundation Trilogy many times. I guess you're not much on the "hard SF" stuff, eh?

Speaking of which, has anyone here read Hal Clement's A Mission of Gravity? It was a real struggle for me to read, and I have hopes that I'll never get the urge again, but in spite of that, I think it's one of the true classics of the field.

41IPtcp4GdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've just opened it and so far the writing is superb. Based on a true story about the murder of an outlaw/entrepreneur by his neighbors in early 20th Century Florida the author creates a powerful sense of immediacy that I look for-and envy- in the finest writing. It appears to offer a bargain in the transaction between author and audience-I have the sense that I'll be more than compensated for any investment of time and attention on my part.

51SWPWY3QFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is my favorite anthology of 19th Century American poetry-especially as it has introduced me to poets who were previously either totally unknown to me or mere names. There are also poems by authors I thought I "knew" that are now a permanent point of reference such as Whittier's immensely powerful Civil War meditation "What The Birds Said". The Library of America editions of American poetry are unsurpassed in their scope and depth and it will take more than a lifetime of reading to enjoy all the benefits of these pages.

Wishing everyone a blessed New Year.

Peace,

Blue Trane

I also recall that much of it was a bit of a chore to get through, accomplished mainly because I was also a dutiful young SF fan. (That's also the only way I got through Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, which was still, THANK GOD, a trilogy back then.)

Wow. I've read the Foundation Trilogy many times. I guess you're not much on the "hard SF" stuff, eh?

Speaking of which, has anyone here read Hal Clement's A Mission of Gravity? It was a real struggle for me to read, and I have hopes that I'll never get the urge again, but in spite of that, I think it's one of the true classics of the field.

Actually, back when I was a loyal young sf fan (the 1970's) hard sf was probably my favorite. And I didn't really consider the Foundation Trilogy to be all that "hard." ("Psychohistory" sounded pretty squishy to me.)

I also read Clement's Mission of Gravity and loved it, but as I only read it once, and that was in 8th grade, it's hard to say how I'd like it now. Definitely a classic of its kind, though.

Actually, back when I was a loyal young sf fan (the 1970's) hard sf was probably my favorite. And I didn't really consider the Foundation Trilogy to be all that "hard." ("Psychohistory" sounded pretty squishy to me.)

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was thinking more of Blish after reading a bit of the first 'Cities in Flight' book.

That's one I actually have on my shelf; how is it?

guess the two strongest are big sleep and lady in the lake but then if i'd say if you like/dislike one of them you'll like/dislike them all (besides i recall my dad saying he stopped reading this type of novel (the chandlers, then the ross mcdonalds...) because every few hours you've finished one and need another one; and i can only second that, they tend to be pretty fast reading, trying playback won't cost you much time)

That's one I actually have on my shelf; how is it?

It's certainly not his best. Some plot devices I didn't ever think he'd use, Marlowe is more a stereotypical private eye than ever before. . . but it's still Chandler. It still has some magic. But almost any other Chandler novel would be a better choice.

I guess I was thinking more of Blish after reading a bit of the first 'Cities in Flight' book.

Speaking of Blish, I've long prefered his short stuff to his novels. (I know I've said this a lot, but it seems to be true of a lot of writers, particularly in the SF field.)

I also read Clement's Mission of Gravity and loved it, but as I only read it once, and that was in 8th grade, it's hard to say how I'd like it now. Definitely a classic of its kind, though.

8th grade seems about right as a definition of the "Golden Age of Science Fiction."

1423_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

The most recent of the Aurelio Zen series. Like his earlier 'Cosi Fan Tutti' this is more like a comic opera than a chilling thriller. Completely implausible and enormous fun - I'd not be at all surprised to find the plot is taken from an opera somewhere.

Then a detective from Norway - got through 300 pages of this at the weekend, it gripped me so:

512NZ0ZWJQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Anyone know any detective series from Finland or Denmark?