Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

read some Kurt Vonnegut for the first time - Cat's Cradle, now finishing up Slaughterhouse 5. Very good reading! Cat's Cradle was hilarious, has been some time since I read a book that amused me as much!

You're entering a world of great reading, ubu!

I'm currently reading "Welcome to the Monkey House", a collection of his shorter works, in between chapters of "The Great War for Civilization". That book is just too long and intense to read straight through....so the Vonnegut stories are working wonderfuly as intermissions.

Just re-read The Mind Behind the Eye, a rather obscure 1971 science fiction novel by Joseph Green. Didn't really mean to re-read the whole thing, but it's got a high pulp-readability quotient. Once more, I'm amazed at how much Green managed to cram into such a short space.

• 2 weeks later...

My revisit to SF has led me to some books that I always meant to read, but never did. Books that I've been carrying from home to home over the years, but for some reason or other, never got around to reading. Last week was Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake, which was good if not great. Now I'm reading Samuel R. Delany's Babel-17, and I am completely hooked. It's taking a while to get through; I keep going back and rereading parts. (I think I've covered Chapter Four about eight times so far.) Awesome writing. And to think, Dahlgren (which I've carried around for only few less years) awaits!

My revisit to SF has led me to some books that I always meant to read, but never did. Books that I've been carrying from home to home over the years, but for some reason or other, never got around to reading. Last week was Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake, which was good if not great. Now I'm reading Samuel R. Delany's Babel-17, and I am completely hooked. It's taking a while to get through; I keep going back and rereading parts. (I think I've covered Chapter Four about eight times so far.) Awesome writing. And to think, Dahlgren (which I've carried around for only few less years) awaits!

Babel-17 is the only novel of Delany's that I've ever been able to finish! It was back in high school, when I was reading sf almost constantly; I remember liking but not loving it, but don't recall many specifics. I've never been able to get far with Nova or Dhalgren or any of the big ones. Some swear by them though. You might want to give the early stories of Roger Zelazny a try, too.

Believe me, I've read my share of Zelazny. Now there's an interesting writer. Or writers, as it feels at times... :lol: There have been a few times I've thought to myself "wait a minute; this can't be the same guy that wrote such-and-such."

Indeed; some of his early stories ("For A Breath I Tarry," "The Keys To December," etc.) were so good that I could hardly credit some of the hacky novels he cranked out later.

Bouncing back and forth between Stingray Shuffle by Tim Dorsey and Prayer: Does it Really Matter? by Philip Yancey.

I owe my Dorsey obsession to Dave James, who recommended Florida Roadkill sometime back. I haven't had this much fun reading since I was rifling through all of Christopher Moore's books (man, I hope his next book is better than the last one which, literally, sucked).

Edited by Big Al

The Melting Pot and Other Subversive Stories by Lynne Schwartz

Not as good as I had hoped. The one where this down-on-their-luck family crashes the CBS studio in Manhattan and ends up living in "The Jeffersons" stage set was not particularly clever or "subversive." On the other hand "What I Did for Love" is a good bittersweet (70% bitter, 30% sweet) story. The best story in the collection so far.