Now reading...

Rick Perlstein's "Nixonland." Very pertinent to our current electoral dustup. Rick is a very knowledgable jazz fan BTW, as well (so he volunteered a few years back)as an admirer of the work of yours truly, so how bad can he be?

Still reading NIXONLAND myself--right now in the midst of the 1972 election.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just started Balzac's "La Comédie Humaine," starting with "Le Père Goriot." I've never read Balzac.

Heavy stuff! Those who had to study it at my school in the 1950s used to call him "balls ache" :(

The only time I ever wanted to read Balzac was whenever I watched The 400 Blows. I found it easier to just quit watching that movie... :g

Back to Cordainer Smith for a moment, a strange thing happened today. I walked into one of the used book stores in La Grande (city motto: "if you don't like used books and coffee, don't bother coming by") today and found the previously mentioned Best of and Quest of the Three Worlds. Now I don't know whether to start reading or hold out until I find Instrumentality of Mankind and Norstrilia so I can be ready with the whole shebang... :lol:

Back to Cordainer Smith for a moment, a strange thing happened today. I walked into one of the used book stores in La Grande (city motto: "if you don't like used books and coffee, don't bother coming by") today and found the previously mentioned Best of and Quest of the Three Worlds. Now I don't know whether to start reading or hold out until I find Instrumentality of Mankind and Norstrilia so I can be ready with the whole shebang... :lol:

Just get the "Best of-" and start there. If you like it then you can buy the others any time. If not, you can stop there.

Just finished a collection of all the Jirel of Joirey stories by C. L. Moore, called Black God's Kiss, published by the nice new Planet Stories press.

Now reading a nice overview collection of essays called "Ancient Egyptian Civilization" edited by Brenda Stalcup for Greenhaven Press.

"Midnight's Children" - Salman Rushdie

I'm about a quarter of the way through it and still not too sure what I think about it. Has anyone else read any Rushdie novels?

I've read nearly all the early ones -- Midnight's Children, Shame, Satanic Verses, Haroun, and the Moor's Last Sigh. I really did like MC and Shame. Satanic Verses was a bit of a chore, and I read it mostly because I was supporting Rushdie against fundamentalists. Don't know what I would think now. Haven't read him in ages, though I think his newest looks kind of entertaining.

Just get the "Best of-" and start there. If you like it then you can buy the others any time. If not, you can stop there.

Was a big, big fan of Cordwainer Smith when I was younger. I'd probably still like the core stories, but I haven't thought about reading him for a while.

Just finished a boatload of books on China, the most interesting are Concrete Dragon by Capanella and China's Urban Transition by Freidman.

After reading 6 or so academic books for various reviews hope to read a few fiction books. Am halfway through To Say Nothing of the Dog, which is a time travel romp by Connie Willis.

Will probably next try to read Murakami's After Dark and Jesse Ball's Samedi the Deafness.

Was a big, big fan of Cordwainer Smith when I was younger. I'd probably still like the core stories, but I haven't thought about reading him for a while.

Well, to be honest, from what I've read so far, I think 'younger' could be a key...