Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I finished the last Harry Potter book. It was all right, but it's not stuff you can read more than once, as I found when reading the penultimate volume for the second time.

Still at least, the grammar is correct.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

E M Forster "Pharos and Pharillon" - a little book of (non-fiction) stories about Alexandria, ancient and modern. It must be twenty years since I read this. Very enjoyable; very dry wit.

I didn't get on too well with the Forster novels I've read, but I love his short stories, particularly the Fantasy and Science Fiction stuff. I expect I'll finish this one later today, so I'll be on to his collected short stories, then.

MG

Been reading the First Volume of Henry David Thoreau's Journal: 1837 - 1844. Very interesting and has some great writing in it. One of my favorite quotes so far:

Nov. 12th 1837

Discipline

I yet lack discernment to distinguish the whole lesson of to-day: but it is not lost - it will come to me at last. My desire is to know what I have lived, that I may know how to live henceforth.

I've just finished Slouching Toward Gomorah by Robert Bork. It examines the moral decline of America in our lifetime. It was written in 1995, but is just as applicable today.

He feels that the sixties accelerated the decline, but that the decline was already on its way even if the sixties had not happened as they did.

He puts particular blame on two elements of the cultural elite - the Supreme Court (and of course all courts in general, including trial courts which are increasingly unable to convict and punish criminals) and the universities, which he says have rejected logic and reason for the goal of equal results.

Anthony Trollope's "Phineas Finn." Highly recommend his "The Eustace Diamonds." The central character, Lizzie Eustace, is one of most amazing and closely observed monsters in fiction. She could eat Becky Sharpe for breakfast.

The Pallisers is a pretty amazing series. For some reason, I read this first and have not (yet) gotten to Barchester Towers and the rest of that series.

Anthony Trollope's "Phineas Finn." Highly recommend his "The Eustace Diamonds." The central character, Lizzie Eustace, is one of most amazing and closely observed monsters in fiction. She could eat Becky Sharpe for breakfast.

The Pallisers is a pretty amazing series. For some reason, I read this first and have not (yet) gotten to Barchester Towers and the rest of that series.

I second the recommendation for "The Eustace Diamonds." "The Way We Live Now" is amazing, too.

Two of the most enjoyable books we've read in my long-running book group.

I need to get back to Trollope soon.