Now reading...

Athos : Echoes from the Holy Mountain

The songs of the monks from Mount Athos have been echoing for centuries across the deep waters of the Aegean Sea on the fringes of Greece, heard only by the pilgrims who were able to visit this community, secluded from a traditional conception of time and major world events. "Athos : Echoes from the Holy Mountain" aims to present this living heritage by the means of an artbook in English, Greek and French, inviting contemporary artists and researchers to approach, revisit and discuss its contemporary implications.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been reading the Fletch books in order.  This is #8.  It's much better than the previous three or four.

91f6G53+uFL._SL1500_.jpg

I've read rave reviews about this, and I think it's good, but not that good.  Chock full of items I didn't know about, although few were important.  One interesting thing is that the author feels that some famous old-timers were underappreciated because they played before the days of WAR statistics.  I was struck by the author's belief that it is harder to play against so many other teams than it was in the days of playing against only seven.

51wAj2lO3fL._SL1500_.jpg

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

But isn't Fletch Won the first one chronologically in Fletch's life though not in order of publication? 

Correct!

I assume that "won" is a pun on "one."

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

Why do you think it was harder to play only against seven teams .... ?

I had the pleasure (Quite a thrill!) of meeting Bill Veeck in 1972.  He told me that adding water to a glass of wine does not increase the amount of wine.

Soulpope, the idea is that there is a limited number of quality players, and increasing the number of teams merely calls players who are less than top-quality "major leaguers" without increasing the quality of their play.  So the more teams there are, the more the quality players are dispersed amongst the less-talented.

But - the available talent pool today is exponentially larger today than ever before...

In the end, I think it's apples and oranges, it's almost two different games, then and now. Not even all of the rules have stayed the same...DH, anybody? Does Ohtani get 50/50 this year without it?

As just one of many examples, I am starting to get a little pissed off about whatever hype is spewed about "post-season" records. Totally meaningless comparisons are being made and swallowed whole.

7 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Correct!

I assume that "won" is a pun on "one."

I had the pleasure (Quite a thrill!) of meeting Bill Veeck in 1972.  He told me that adding water to a glass of wine does not increase the amount of wine.

Soulpope, the idea is that there is a limited number of quality players, and increasing the number of teams merely calls players who are less than top-quality "major leaguers" without increasing the quality of their play.  So the more teams there are, the more the quality players are dispersed amongst the less-talented.

Fair enough .... on the other hand with just seven teams hitters could quicker adjust to top pitchers while facing them more often/on regular basis 🧐🤔 .... 

18 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Fair enough .... on the other hand with just seven teams hitters could quicker adjust to top pitchers while facing them more often/on regular basis 🧐🤔 .... 

Perhaps that what he was thinking.  Also, there are that many more hitters for pitchers to learn.

The author did not explain his thinking.  He behaved as if it were obvious.