Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am trying to get started on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", picked up in a charity shop. It's so big, and the first couple of pages are a touch dry, so it may take a while to get going. Maybe one for the holiday in May (I'll read anything while I'm on holiday)

Who knows, it might come in handy if the hotel runs out of toilet paper. :P

I am trying to get started on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", picked up in a charity shop. It's so big, and the first couple of pages are a touch dry, so it may take a while to get going. Maybe one for the holiday in May (I'll read anything while I'm on holiday)

Is that a comment on the book's literary merits, or it's political leanings? Serious question btw.

Is that a comment on the book's literary merits, or it's political leanings? Serious question btw.

Political leanings.

Political leanings.

Thanks. I suppose I'll just have to get on with reading it....

Halfway through "Tortilla Curtain" by T.C. Boyle - pretty devastating, so far. Is he always satiric, does he always write this well?

I haven't read everything but have a few of his novels and most of his short stories. I'd say he is even better in his short stories than novels, so you might want to check some of those out.

I'm nearly done with Taylor's A Game of Hide and Seek. It is well written, but I find the main character (Harriet) to be fairly insipid and yet her love interest not particularly worthy of her attention.

Oops. Here I was admiring "The Tortilla Curtain" until on page 274 the husband-and-wife illiterate vagrants are running for their lives from a horrific forest fire and Boyle writes, "What would he liken it to?" Good grief. When was the last time you were seized with fear and thought, "I need a simile for this"? That line is so artificial and literary that it smells of Creative Writing School. Down with Literature.

716532.jpg

:tup

Just finished this one myself last week. Very easy to read, as was the previous volume about the war in North Africa. I'm now awaiting delivery of the third and final volume about the invasion and liberation of Europe. He's an excellent writer....

'Crusade', his account of The Gulf War is also very good.

I'm on the last few pages of The Day Of The Battle and will start The Guns At Last Light today.

He's a good writer, plenty of detail and anecdotes and a clear narrative type drive that doesn't tire the reader by straying into academia.

crusade.jpg

The question was what to read after spending over a month with Clarissa. The answer turned out to be an old friend, Iris Murdoch, and her The Green Knight, published 1993, and her 25th novel. Murdoch was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 1997, so I expected that this novel might find her seriously off her game. I don't think it does. It has the usual Murdoch strengths and weaknesses, but overall it is quite a good read.

51B%2BRFLyd7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

And since the novel does make use of the Green Knight myth, I decided to read:

sir-gawain.jpg?w=224&h=300

Simon Armitage's modern "Englishing" of the original alliterative poem. I very much enjoyed reading this modern version, but it also has the original Middle English text on the facing page, so one gets the best of both.

51-XoT4hR6L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Largely covers a rock musical era l had little time for but fascinating nonetheless (I knew him mainly through the Fripp association, though have been catching up of late with his own records on Spotify). A chap who seemed to have little if any musical training yet the imagination to conjure up all sorts of unusual things with whatever he could manipulate.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

511OlC4gdvL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Geoff Nicholson: The City Under the Skin

I've read a couple of other Nicholson novels which were ok, but this one wasn't worth the time I spent reading it.

Have you read his Bleeding London? I've been meaning to read that forever (and moved it like 4 times). I think I'll finally get to it this spring.

I'm also taking a bit of break from the serious stuff and am reading Lauren Beukes' Zoo City, which is sort of a future fantasy novel where people who commit terrible crimes are paired up with animal familiars -- and are then ostracized. It is notable mostly for being set in Hillbrow, South Africa. The set-up is hard to swallow, but it moves along quickly.

Looking at a list of his novels, it appears that the only one I've read is A Knot Garden. I enjoyed that one much more than The City Under the Skin. The City Under the Skin has a cartoon-like quality to it which doesn't appeal to me.

I just read The City Under the Skin and agree with Paul's sentiments. I am currently finishing The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner. Can anyone recommend a non-cartoonish, good mystery/thriller from the last five years or so? Thanks.

Edited by sonnyhill

The question was what to read after spending over a month with Clarissa. The answer turned out to be an old friend, Iris Murdoch, and her The Green Knight, published 1993, and her 25th novel. Murdoch was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 1997, so I expected that this novel might find her seriously off her game. I don't think it does. It has the usual Murdoch strengths and weaknesses, but overall it is quite a good read.

51B%2BRFLyd7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

And since the novel does make use of the Green Knight myth, I decided to read:

sir-gawain.jpg?w=224&h=300

Simon Armitage's modern "Englishing" of the original alliterative poem. I very much enjoyed reading this modern version, but it also has the original Middle English text on the facing page, so one gets the best of both.

I saw Armitage read that in a lightly staged production recently. Excellent