Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished David Rakoff's "Fraud" and am now partway into his "Half Empty."

For those of you not familiar with Rakoff's work, his first book was a collection of essays, "Don't Get Too Comfortable." His style of satire and general observance is similar, but not the same as that of David Sedaris. Rakoff is a little darker.

I was saddened to learn that not long after I had seen him on "The Daily Show", he died of, I believe cancer. Gone way too soon.

For the last thirty years, I've toted two books of a trilogy everywhere I moved knowing that SOME DAY I'd find the third book and be able to read the whole thing. Last year I finally scored a copy of Mark Adlard's Multiface, so I started the first book Interface last night. Should have read it years ago; it's good stuff.

Edited by Jazzmoose

The Good Earth is a classic worth re-reading. Pearl S. Buck was a famous Sinophile who lived in my part of Pennsylvania for a good part of her later life, at an 1825 built farmhouse in Perkasie that is now an official National Historic Landmark.

461792_461792.jpg

Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (June 26, 1892 – March 6, 1973), also known by her Chinese name Sai Zhenzhu (Chinese: ; pinyin: Sài Zhēnzhū), was an American writer and novelist. As the daughter of missionaries, Buck spent most of her life before 1934 in China. Her novel The Good Earth was the best-selling fiction book in the U.S. in 1931 and 1932 and won thePulitzer Prize in 1932. In 1938 she was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature "for her rich and truly epic descriptions of peasant life in China and for her biographical masterpieces." [1]

After her return to the United States in 1935, she continued her prolific writing career, and became a prominent advocate of the rights of women and minority groups, and wrote widely on Asian cultures, becoming particularly well known for her efforts on behalf of Asian and mixed race adoption.

This is what I'm currently reading:

510joaTmUnL._SY300_.jpg

Twelve Thousand Years: American Indians in Maine [Paperback]

Bruce J. Bourque (Author)

Twelve Thousand Years: American Indians in Maine documents the generations of Native peoples who for twelve millennia have moved through and eventually settled along the rocky coast, rivers, lakes, valleys, and mountains of a region now known as Maine. Arriving first to this area were Paleo-Indian peoples, followed by maritime hunters, more immigrants, then a revival of maritime cultures. Beginning in the sixteenth century, Native peoples in northern New England became tangled in the far-reaching affairs of European explorers and colonists.Twelve Thousand Years reveals how Penobscots, Abenakis, Passamaquoddies, Maliseets, Micmacs, and other Native communities both strategically accommodated and overtly resisted European and American encroachments. Since that time, Native communities in Maine have endured, adapted when necessary, and experienced a political and cultural revitalization in recent decades.

Edited by Jerry_L

I finished the Adlard trilogy, and there's nothing like following depressing English SF with more of the same, so I went with Brian Aldiss for a follow up:

frankenstein-unbound1.jpg

Excellent choice! Brian Aldiss is one of my favorite SF writers :)

Edited by Swinger

Excellent choice! Brian Aldiss is one of my favorite SF writers :)

It wasn't what I expected; it was better. That's always nice.

I don't know why I never went on a serious Aldiss bender. I read Hothouse in my early twenties and loved it. When I decided to revisit SF a few years ago, I read Greybeard and was astounded. Maybe it was the memory of trying to read Barefoot in the Head.

Edited by Jazzmoose

Read through (quickly) Constance Urdang's book of poetry Only the World. I enjoyed it, particularly the first section which was mostly about travel and tourism. I'll probably post a poem from the collection in the Poetry Cosmos thread.

I've just started Sugar Street, the final book in Mahfouz's The Cairo Trilogy. Yea!

After this, I will read The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman [a novel about a struggling newspaper in Rome].