Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always thought Ditko's best was in those late fifties Charlton SF comics. His superhero stuff was okay, but I'll take the Charltons! Um...except Dr. Strange of course. And maybe the Question. And Spiderman wasn't bad. Uh...

He was great in those Timely/Marvel monster and mystery books. Amazing drawing!

"Mother Night" - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Personally, I think that's his most underrated book. The idea of a sympathetic Nazi character (yeah, I know it's more complicated than that) still boggles my mind.

That's good to hear. I'm enjoying it so far. I read another one recently that also seems to be underrated, "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater"

Personally, I think that's his most underrated book. The idea of a sympathetic Nazi character (yeah, I know it's more complicated than that) still boggles my mind.

Well, he's only pretending to be a Nazi...

Yeah, but the whole point of the book (at least as I read it) is that what you pretend to be is often more important than what you are.

Finished the last of Thomas Merton's Journals. Have very mixed emotions about Merton's life after reading all seven volumes, they do not paint Merton is the best of lights, and in fact, showed Merton's failure as a religious. It is very obvious by the journals that Merton was a conflicted person; striving to find God, live as a hermit, but his emotional make-up did not allow him to do that. One of the tragedies of the whole thing is Merton's inability to pull his life together, in fact, in volume five you witness his disintegration over his falling in love with a student nurse -- he was in very bad shape during that time. By the time he gets to his trip to the Far East, even he knows that his time is up at the monastery in Kentucky, and he will wind up somewhere else. Even so, he dies on that trip, and the casket is flown to his monastery, where he is buried. A very difficult life to understand, where he kept on proclaiming how he wanted to be left alone, and yet, he was unable to accomplish what he wanted his life to be. Truthfully, his last couple of years were a mess. Closed the last journal with a tremendous sense of sadness...

Yeah, but the whole point of the book (at least as I read it) is that what you pretend to be is often more important than what you are.

Oh yes indeed. I can still remember that even though the last time I read it was in 9th grade.

For some reason, I've have this desire to read a lot of Faulkner, so I'm starting with The Sound and the Fury. The April Seventh, 1928 chapter is amazing.

Oh, yeah! That chapter is what yanked SF out of my hands and told me that these here 'classics' thingies might be worth checking out.

Edited by Jazzmoose

For some reason, I've have this desire to read a lot of Faulkner, so I'm starting with The Sound and the Fury. The April Seventh, 1928 chapter is amazing.

Oh, yeah! That chapter is what yanked SF out of my hands and told me that these here 'classics' thingies might be worth checking out.

Wow! You can remember the specific thing that did it for you.

I can't remember, but in my case I don't think it was one thing but just sort an increasing tendency toward so-called "mainstream" fiction in 11th and 12th grade. Whereas, if you had tried to get me to go that way in 9th grade I'd have probably replied, "What do I need the mainstream for? I've got Ursula K. LeGuin!"