Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, Philip K. Dick has finally made it to the Library of America. On one hand, I'm pleased, on the other it may be a sign of the Apocalypse.

Oh I see now. . . okay. . . . I never have attached much significance to "LOA". . .!

Right now: PKD Society Newsletter #5, interview with K. D. Jeter. "Voices from the Street" was shipped to me Monday! Whoo hoo! A new previously unpublished PKD mainstream novel!

;)

Wow, Philip K. Dick has finally made it to the Library of America. On one hand, I'm pleased, on the other it may be a sign of the Apocalypse.

;)

Oh I see now. . . okay. . . . I never have attached much significance to "LOA". . .! But PKD would take great solace in it.

Right now: PKD Society Newsletter #5, interview with K. D. Jeter. "Voices from the Street" was shipped to me Monday! Whoo hoo! A new previously unpublished PKD mainstream novel!

Well, not only that, but he was writing so well, if slowly and metinculously (which was very different from his earlier methods). "The Transformation of Timoty Archer" was an excellent, excellent novel, perhaps in some ways, his best, most mature. And who knows what "The Owl in Daylight" might have become. It's a shame. . .but reading about his life (and reading about how he felt those final years about his impending end) I find it hard to imagine he would live.

You know, afer thinking about it for a decade I sent him a letter right at the start of '82, full of my awe and gratitude for his work, and a tale of hunting out each of his books after I bought the very first one ("The Zap Gun") in Addis Ababa in 1967. He replied in a bright breezy letter. . . and in weeks the news was that he had gone. I was just floored! I had never before been quite so moved by the death of someone not a member of my family.

Edited by jazzbo

'La Peinture en Echarpe' by Hubert Damisch, a short and very absorbing study on the perception of photography at its birth and its influence on Eugène Delacroix and the world of painters.

Damish is a very reputed art historian and philosopher who also wrote articles on jazz a long time ago. He also played jazz saxophone in his students days.

Eric Hobsbawm -

The Age of Revolution - 1789 - 1848

The Age of Capital - 1848 - 1875

The Age of Empire - 18775 - 1914

The Age of Uncertainty: the history of the short 20th Century - 1914 - 1990

Haven't read these for about a decade.

MG

I'd like to sink my teeth into those myself...

Right now, Tom Perchard's Lee Morgan bio.

I picked up Umberto Eco's "Baudolino" on a sale rack at Barnes & Noble the other evening, though I haven't read any of his other works. The story looked interesting, and the timeframe it's set in (1200's, Byzantine Empire), struck my curiousity.

Has anyone read this? Is it representative of Eco's other work?

Finished Philip K. Dick's "Voices from the Street." I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel, though I have to say it has disturbing moments (some may not "enjoy" being disturbed in reading, I have to say that I do).

I found myself both identifying with and repelled from Stuart Hadley, the centerpiece character in the novel. This created moments of reading the novel that were surprising and moving. Though the overall tone of the novel is dark, and much of Dick's characteristic humor is not as overtly drawn as in other novels, the subject matter will interest fans of his work, especially fans of his posthumously published "mainstream" novels. (Mainstream? Hardly. That was the problem for publishers!)

My guess is that this was written in the Point Reyes Station period, around "The Man in the High Castle" and "The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike" (maybe this should be titled "The Man who Was So Afraid to Risk" or some similar title!) The writing I feel is a superb example of what Dick was capable of creating with patience and passion. Descriptive passages evoke sudden moods, action sequences race or crawl appropriately with swift shifts that jar and disturb. I am not sure if there was much editorial revision or intervention at play in this manuscript, I suspect perhaps not, and it may well be better for it. It seems to take just the right path and pace to unfold.

Recommended for Philip K. Dick fans. I view it (right at this moment) as one of his best. (Scandalous?)

So. . . wanting to keep the "vibe" going, I started rereading "Lies, Inc." (the British "version" of "The Unteleported Man.")

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to reread the John Varley "Gaea" trilogy, so I just finished "Titan."

However I didn't intend to finish it so fast, and I'm not at home, so I started the other book that I brought as a backup, Jim Thompson's "The Criminal" (another rereading).

Varley's Gaea trilogy is really good. I read it again a while ago and I still loved it.

Yeah Swinger, it's a good series. . .gratuitous sex and all! :)

Actually, I found a book that I couldn't resist and started it last night (while I felt like crap from maybe allergies maybe a bug): "1491 -- New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus" by Charles C. Mann. Wow. Really interesting book!

Eric Hobsbawm -

The Age of Uncertainty: the history of the short 20th Century - 1914 - 1990

Haven't read these for about a decade.

MG

I knew you're a sleeping soviet agent in the forum. :D

Eric Hobsbawm -