Now reading...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Every year in Woodstock NY there's an anniversary performance of 4'33' at a museum/art gallery. Kay Larson, a Cage scholar, usually (in my experience) opens with a lecture. Then the celebrated piece, which the musician(s) follow with a "normal" performance.

Edited by T.D.

I enjoyed that book. My upcoming show on the 16th is my 433rd show.
Since I probably cannot have a silent work playing on the radio because
the "dead air" may trigger something technically unwanted (I haven't ever
asked if the station has these controls, but not taking a chance), I've put
together a show that features 433 excerpts from field recordings along 
with the occasional voice of Cage and snippets of music. It's actually a part
of an occasional segment that I have on the show called "electrophonomural."

21 hours ago, T.D. said:

Every year in Woodstock NY there's an anniversary performance of 4'33' at a museum/art gallery. Kay Larson, a Cage scholar, usually (in my experience) opens with a lecture. Then the celebrated piece, which the musician(s) follow with a "normal" performance.

I really enjoyed that book

20 hours ago, rostasi said:

I enjoyed that book. My upcoming show on the 16th is my 433rd show.
Since I probably cannot have a silent work playing on the radio because
the "dead air" may trigger something technically unwanted (I haven't ever
asked if the station has these controls, but not taking a chance), I've put
together a show that features 433 excerpts from field recordings along 
with the occasional voice of Cage and snippets of music. It's actually a part
of an occasional segment that I have on the show called "electrophonomural."

Sounds a fascinating listen

Oh, didn't he ramble

the autobiography of trumpeter Lee Collins, used but in good shape, even including the Flexi-Disc with an additional track from "A Night at the Victory Club"... Thought I'd show my daughter what a used bookstore looks like, allegedly the biggest English-language one on the continent no less, and take the briefest of looks at the row of jazz books... where this one stood, had been looking for it for a while without high expectations or high effort... it's a very enjoyable inside view on a live in early jazz from New Orleans to Chicago in the form of an endless stream of anecdotes

On 10/7/2024 at 4:32 PM, T.D. said:

On 10/8/2024 at 1:53 PM, mjazzg said:

I really enjoyed that book

Sounds a fascinating listen

It's really good. Larson seems to be a Zen practitioner (based on her intro/dedication) and gets far more into the Buddhist aspect than anyone else I've ever read on Cage. And the whole thing is extremely well written.

About 3/4 of the way through.

In the meantime I finished this (more urgent because it was from library):

Funny thing. I browsed a bookstore I hadn't visited in a while and saw Larson/Cage, Threadgill/Edwards and The Notebooks of Sonny Rollins on the same shelf, which triggered a reading binge. Purchased the Cage paperback, got the Threadgill via interlibrary loan. Couldn't bring myself to buy the Rollins notebooks because it's a slim volume with a lot of white space; may need to because the (pretty good) interlibrary loan system doesn't have it. 😕

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Amazon has announced today its new lineup of Kindles.

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/devices/new-kindle-color-scribe-paperwhite-entry

IMHO, it's hard to see the value proposition of a Kindle vs. buying an iPad Mini.  The Mini has a better screen, more advanced technology, it's a full-fledged iPad, very lightweight, and you can load the Kindle app on it and access your Kindle library.

Wrapping up Dawn Powell's The Golden Spur.  I believe this is the last of her "New York" novels.  Quite droll.

Next will be Eric DuPont's Songs for the Cold of Heart.  (Which is much better known as The American Fiancée.)

american-fiancee.jpg?w=678