Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The author was the engineer, and sometimes also the producer, of a number of very popular rock albums between 1965 and 1974.

Tons of name dropping.  Few stories would be interesting to the reader who was unfamiliar with the musicians or the albums.

Not informative regarding the actions of an engineer or a producer.

71aRvPHZaOL._SL1200_.jpg

18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

It focuses mostly on the music -- but there's also some biographical and sociological aspects too.

Music, like technically aware, or music, like records and stuff?

Hate to keep asking, but this music is substantial enough that a really knowing, insightful book about both the music and the people and the business is something for which I would go all in.

A "fan overview", not so much.

Jim, as far as my own assessment: I don't feel like I've read enough of the book yet to give you a meaningful answer. I'll check back in after I've read more. At that point, I can give an informed thumbs up or down.

That said, it's an ASCAP-Deems Taylor award-winning book, so I think it's safe to assume that it's not simply a "fan overview."

Also, FWIW, George Clinton wrote the foreward and he gives the book his seal of approval. 

Well, George, I'm sure, has his price. LOL.

I'm just weary of music books that surf on the surface or even worse, use a lot of adjectives and not enough nouns. 

One of the best purely analytical expositions of "the one" was in that book about Herbie's Meandishi music. Kinda dry, but accurate and truthful.

I'd hope for that type of truth with a more...soulful? telling.

That, and talk to the players. They're dying off (or are already dead). A lot of people have their generic interview stories, but that's because they keep getting generic interview questions.

Fred Wesley's autobiography is a really good read, actually.