DVD deck replacement

MartyJazz

I've had an Oppo deck for five years that I really like, primarily purchased originally because it could play Region 2 as well as the Region 1 discs prevalent in the US. Anyway, the deck is apparently "fried" at this point (with an ensconced Netflix DVD that I must figure out how to safely extract).

Assuming the deck is not reparable, I would appreciate any recommendation as to inexpensive brand/models readily obtainable that can play all region DVDs. While I was in a local Costco yesterday, I saw a number of decks, e.g., Samsung, Sony, LG, yet a perusal of all the shipping cartons did not indicate whether any of these decks can read or be programmed to read discs other than Region 1.

As I understand it, many low-cost dvd players can be made "region-free" simply by entering a numerical sequence via the remote control. Codes for specific players can be found online, with some sites offering the codes for free, while others asking for a donation. I suggest you shop for dvd players, then do a search to see if the code for that model is available.

Marty, I wondered about this a year ago. I suggest that you google "region free dvd" and peruse to your heart's content. You may want to start with this Buyers' Guide here:

http://buyersguide.bargainoffers.com/region_free_dvd_guide.shtml

Last year I found a number of Toshibas that fit the bill.

Thanks a lot. Great link with wonderful prices!

Marty, I read last year that what sonnymax says is true. Apparently it doesn't work for all DVD players. I gather that when you buy a region free player, it just means that the retailer has taken a regular player and done the work himself.

Philips dvd players are easy to hack for region-free, and it's easy to find the codes online. I have one of those in addition to my LG blu-ray player, so I only use the Philips for non-Region 1 DVDs. And yes, a retailer who sells a region-free player has just done the hacking. The Philips models also have USB input, so you can play multiple formats from a USB stick too, but I think that's becoming a fairly common feature. Once the region issue is taken care of, the player handles converting PAL signal for display on an NTSC TV.

While I was in a local Costco yesterday, I saw a number of decks, e.g., Samsung, Sony, LG, yet a perusal of all the shipping cartons did not indicate whether any of these decks can read or be programmed to read discs other than Region 1.

They're not allowed to disclose that, as it would contravene the point of regional "protections," which seems pretty archaic and ridiculous a concept. I believe in most cases the players are manufactured region free and the region is then set based on where the units are shipping to.

I believe in most cases the players are manufactured region free and the region is then set based on where the units are shipping to.

That's my understanding as well. A numeric code is entered to make it region 1, region 2, etc. All you're doing is entering the code for "region free".

I've pieced together a couple of concepts the past two days.

When I did my research last year, it all appeared to be somewhat sub-rosa. But when I googled "region free dvd" the other day, I saw an ad for Amazon. I clicked on it, and sure enough Amazon is carrying them.. The least expensive is this Sony for $41.06.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ultra-Compact-Multi-region-Supports-Included/dp/B0080H77PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345010785&sr=8-1&keywords=region-free+dvd

You will note that for $41.90 with free shipping Amazon is fulfilling the item.

The comments for that Sony indicate that it comes with a Spanish language User's Manual, and that Sony will promptly send you one in English upon request.

The US and Canada are Region 1. The UK and Europe are Region 2. Mexico and all of Latin America are Region 4.

Here's my guess: The demand for region free players is not coming from Americans who wish to purchase British discs. It's coming from Mexicans in the US who wish to watch their Region 4 Spanish language discs.

By the way, the link in post #2 says that the region concept was devised so that the wealthy nations could not purchase discs whose prices are lower in poorer countries. That may well be true, but that's not what I've read in the past. What I've read is that movies do not open worldwide at the same time; and the studios do not want the dvd to be available in a market before its theatre run has run its course.

I truly appreciate all the responses I've received for this topic. I hadn't realized how readily available are DVD players that have been pre-programmed to play all regions. In any event, I decided to spring a few more bucks than the minimum that can be spent for such a deck and purchased an LG model that also plays Blu-ray from this site:

http://www.world-import.com/LG_Region_Free_DVD_Players.htm

BTW, I found out that Oppo will repair their DVD decks for a cost of $49 plus their shipping cost to your particular zip code. Add in the initial packaging and shipping from the consumer's end to Oppo, and the cost does add up.

Edited by MartyJazz