Tommy Campbell's Vocal Eyes

fasstrack

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the group playing at the Kitano last night-floored would be more accurate. I figured it would be good from the personnel: Tommy Campbell, drums, tunes/arrangements, Harvie S., bass, Helio Alves (never heard of him before), piano, Miles Griffith-my man who I went to see-and Charalenee Wade, vocals. The group was very tight and swinging, the singers blended w/each other and the trio beautifully, good, fun material, and Tommy is a good leader in giving a presentation, including visually. Helio was great in the ensemble and he and Tommy played off each other on his solos. Everybody got nice space and was allowed to shine. I hope the CD does well, but for the above reasons this group is best experienced live. Check www.tommycampbell.com The Kitano is a nice listening room with good sound, a Steinway, and no loud P.A. to drive you nuts. The host, Gino, is a great guy and treated me aces.