Regarding Rodney King Thread

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete C and I are among the relatively few remaining regulars at another jazz message board that kind of imploded gradually over the years due, I believe, to bitter, aggressive bickering that crowded out other topics and made the place unattractive to potential new members. That board tried having a moderator at one point, but it didn't last. If it had been moderated, perhaps the constant stream of ad hominem attacks and childish, nasty sarcasm would have been stopped, and things might have turned out differently. Regardless of the merits of actively reorganizing threads to avoid duplicates, regarding which opinions may legitimately differ, I think the prevention of flame wars is by far the most important task of a message board moderator.

So moderation at Organissimo might prove essential. Already I have the feeling that there is a lot more venom than there used to be. With moderation, ill-tempered threads (such as this one) nonetheless remain civil, because posts that descend into vulgarity and nastiness would be removed.

Big Wheel, I think your criticisms in post #57 make sense. On the other hand, keep in mind that Larry is a volunteer moderator and not necessarily versed in the best practices of website interaction design, nor does he necessarily have the time or energy to be as scrupulously meticulous as a paid professional would have to be. We all need to cut each other some slack here, IMHO.