Some indie jazz label folks circa 1978

OK.

Gene Perla - PM, Richard Seidel - Schwann catalog, Contemporary, Verve/Universal, John Norris - Coda, Sackville, Bob Koester - Delmark, Bob Porter - Phoenix, Prestige, Savoy, etc, Nils Winther - SteepleChase, Bernie Brightman - Stash, Jass, etc, Bill Smith - Coda, Sackville, me, Marvin Goldberg - Jazz Archive, Susan and Jim Neumann - BeeHive, Bob Cummins - India Navigation.

I neglected to say Paul Bley - IAI and Bernard Stollman - ESP were there but we couldn't find them at photo time. Thanks to my Ann for getting it all together.

The next night I ran into Cecil in the hotel bar. He was in town visiting family.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

OK.

Gene Perla - PM, Richard Seidel - Schwann catalog, Contemporary, Verve/Universal, John Norris - Coda, Sackville, Bob Koester - Delmark, Bob Porter - Phoenix, Prestige, Savoy, etc, Nils Winther - SteepleChase, Bernie Brightman - Stash, Jass, etc, Bill Smith - Coda, Sackville, me, Marvin Goldberg - Jazz Archive, Susan and Jim Neumann - BeeHive, Bob Cummins - India Navigation.

I neglected to say Paul Bley - IAI and Bernard Stollman - ESP were there but we couldn't find them at photo time. Thanks to my Ann for getting it all together.

The next night I ran into Cecil in the hotel bar. He was in town visiting family.

Looks like Bob Koester, Nils Winther, and yourself are the only ones in the picture who are still in the record business. I guess that Bob Porter is still active, but he's not running a label.

Del Shields is credited for the liner notes on Misty.

Bob Porter is credited for the liner notes on the following Groove Holmes LPs:

- Broadway

- Blue Groove

- Groovin' with Jug

- After Hours

- Spicy

Great! Thanks, Chuck.

The name Bob Porter rings a bell to me, and I'm almost certain that he wrote the liner notes to a Groove Holmes Prestige album I got in high school, but I can't remember which one. Maybe Misty?

The name Bob Porter rings a bell to me, and I'm almost certain that he wrote the liner notes to a Groove Holmes Prestige album I got in high school, but I can't remember which one. Maybe Misty?

I believe Porter produced a number of dates for Prestige in the "soul jazz" vein. He's had a radio program on WBGO for years. He looks a lot like Garrison Keillor in that photo.

http://www.wbgo.org/profile/bporter

Edited by Pete C

I see Bernie Brightman in the back row - is he picking pockets?

:lol:

I had no idea who Bernie Brightman was, but your post made me laugh so much I could not resist a quick search. And I see he was responsible for 'Reefer Songs'.

A classic LP in many a young persons jazz journey I suspect. :D

And he never paid royalties - alledgedly :lol:

BTW I wish Bob Porter would post here. I have really enjoyed his recollections on many re-issue liner notes he has written. I remember reading he was going to write a book, but I suppose it never eventuated. I keep meaning to check out his radio show over the net, but keep forgetting.

Edited by freelancer

Del Shields is credited for the liner notes on Misty.

Bob Porter is credited for the liner notes on the following Groove Holmes LPs:

- Broadway

- Blue Groove

- Groovin' with Jug

- After Hours

- Spicy

Great! Thanks, Chuck.

Thanks a lot, jazztrain!

I have or had Blue Groove (if that's the cd with Teddy Edwards), After Hours and Spicy, so maybe I am thinking about After Hours, a PJ date.

I see Bernie Brightman in the back row - is he picking pockets?

:lol:

I had no idea who Bernie Brightman was, but your post made me laugh so much I could not resist a quick search. And I see he was responsible for 'Reefer Songs'.

A classic LP in many a young persons jazz journey I suspect. :D

And he never paid royalties - alledgedly :lol:

BTW I wish Bob Porter would post here. I have really enjoyed his recollections on many re-issue liner notes he has written. I remember reading he was going to write a book, but I suppose it never eventuated. I keep meaning to check out his radio show over the net, but keep forgetting.

I think I met Bob Porter in the mid '70s - maybe earlier. He hated the music I recorded (really hated) and was not an admirer of Von Freeman (he later bragged to me about all the edits he made to the Willis Jackson/Von Freeman date issued on Muse). In spite of this we became friends and probably ate/drank together around 3 times a year for quite a while. I even stayed in his basement for a night or two.

Bob is a great guy who believes Roscoe, Lester, Braxton and more of my friends are a sign of the end of the world.

Bob has a large, resonant voice as you might be able to tell from his radio shows. At one of these indie conventions he saw me across the hotel lobby and shouted "Nessa! After recording all the shit you put out, how could you make the record of the year!! The Warne Marsh is a Mother Fucker!!"

Bob also wrote the notes for my Lucky Thompson release.

I wish we lived closer together so we could have an occasional beer or two.