Happy Birthday Willie Mays

The Say Hey Kid turns 81 today. One of my greatest childhood heroes, even though at 48 I'm still too young to remember him in his prime. I did see him hit his third to last home run, No. 658, in July 1973 when the Mets played the Reds at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati.

Say Hey!

Edited by Mark Stryker

I did see him hit his third to last home run, No. 558, in July 1973 when the Mets played the Reds at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati.

Let the record show that you meant to say 658.

Oops. A clear typo! Thanks for noticing. I've corrected the original. Also in that game, he made a couple of basket catches out in center. The internet tells me he hit that HR off Ross Grimsley and it was in the top of the 7th.

Has there ever been a player who was more fun to watch? Just seeing that film of him recklessly darting around the bases, arms waving, hat flying off his head...the sheer joy he took in doing something as well as anyone ever has done it. Talk about your five tool player. They broke the mold after they made Willie.

I always counted it one of my great youthful memories that I saw Mays hit a home run in person, and make a min-Vick Wertz catch, all the same game (of course, anyone looked great against the Padres in those days). What a player he must have been in his prime; I'm still trying to forget his World Series hand-off though.