Bethlehem Reissues

bebopbob

I've noticed that several Bethlehem recordings have been issued twice in the US in the past 10 years or so. Is there any difference in sound quality or music offered between the Bethlehem CDs issued under the WEA Rhino distributed Avenue Jazz issues and the earlier Bethlehem editions issued in the mid 1990s?

To my ears there are not a lot of sonic differences between the earlier and later US cds . . . the later are a little smoother sounding perhaps. The Japanese cds are better sounding---and there are many more of them! Too bad they're as expensive to get as they are and have to basically be ordered from Japan.

Several of the original Bethlehem 10-inchers were reissued a couple of years ago as 12-inch LP by an unidentified US company which did a very good job with the remastering and the reproductions of the original covers (by Burt Goldblatt).

I have the following LPs from the reissue series:

BCP-1010 Vinnie Burke Quartet,

BCP-1017 Stan Levey Plays the Compositions of Bill Holman, Bob Cooper and Jimmy Giuffre,

BCP-1025 Herbie Harper (with Mariano, Giuffre, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this Rhino series is gone for at least one and a half or two years, it seems. The latest ones I have are copyrighted in 2000.

I managed to get lots of these discs maybe a year ago, searching on various online sources. Some really good music! Petty there won't be more to come!

ubu

• 3 years later...