Gil Noble

fasstrack

I only found out right now he died-knew he was sick of course. A great, great man. I never missed Like It Is. Seems like Gil would get the truth some kind of way, and loved people and expected their best. Aside from the important issues he covered when he interviewed Sonny Rollins and Jackie McClean he was talking with old friends. The world lost a good friend. RIP Gil.

I've seen his Sonny Rollins interview show. He was a great talk show host.

RIP Gil

The first show on Charlie Parker won an Emmy, I think. Panelists included Jackie Mac, Hank Jones, Curly Russell (not 100% sure about Curly). The 2nd was about Clint Eastwood's film with Dizzy and Roy Haynes that I remember. Maybe Red Rodney. The other memorable jazz shows: an interview w/Jamil Nasser, where he put down avante-garde players as phony, a roundtable w/Benny Powell and Jimmy Owens about playing or not in then-Apartheid South Africa. I once met Mr. Noble in 1995 at an event for WBAI listeners of Utrice Leid-before the power play that made her a pariah of the Left. Earl Caldwell was there too-and you couldn't meet two greater gentlemen. Noble was much huger than TV showed-at least 6'5".Iwas able to ask Gil Noble when he might have Barry Harris as a guest. He said he'd been trying for a while, then smiled and said 'thanks for the entreaty'.