Levon Helm, R.I.P.

Chalupa

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gone too soon. That last album proved he had plenty of fire left.

RIP Levon, and deepest thanks for so much joyous music.

P.S. The other day I was talking to a jazz drummer in his 20s, a serious jazz wonk who plays very well. He listed favorites: Blakey, Philly Joe, Jack D, Matt Wilson, Bill Stewart. And then he surprised me with "And Levon Helm. He does everything right and nothing wrong."

He had a groove like no other. We saw Megafaun and Drive By Truckers last night. Megafaun did "No More Cane" during their set, then came on with Drive By Truckers for "The Weight" as the first song of a six song encore.

I know "The Weight" has been done to death, but we all sang along and it just felt great to celebrate Levon that way.

By the way, Joe Westerlund, drummer for Megafaun, sings and drums wonderfully. I believe he studied at Bennington if that tells you anything about his drumming.

RIP.

P.S. The other day I was talking to a jazz drummer in his 20s, a serious jazz wonk who plays very well. He listed favorites: Blakey, Philly Joe, Jack D, Matt Wilson, Bill Stewart. And then he surprised me with "And Levon Helm. He does everything right and nothing wrong."

that's a pleasure to read. that young person has his head on straight :tup

Edited by thedwork

I'll second that.

Had never seen this

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

If you've not seen this, I couldn't recommend it more. It contains the footage posted above.

BAND.jpg

Interviews with all surviving members + John Simon Elliot Landy, Clapton, Harrison, performances, insights ... the gamut. Watching Robertson, Helm & Simon play back the master tape will make you drool.

If you've not seen this, I couldn't recommend it more. It contains the footage posted above.

BAND.jpg

Interviews with all surviving members + John Simon Elliot Landy, Clapton, Harrison, performances, insights ... the gamut. Watching Robertson, Helm & Simon play back the master tape will make you drool.

Got it, and have drooled accordingly :excited:. What I meant is that I hadn't seen the complete clip (that DVD has only an excerpt).

F

I'll second that.

Had never seen this

F

Nice! From back when they were a BAND - took a few years before it disintegrated.

Great duet with Richard Manuel on Whispering Pines!

I remember Marcus Van Story of the Sun Rhythm section telling us in the kitchen at the Twist and Shout club in Bethesda Maryland that everyone knew him as luh VONN in Arkansas, but the Hawks could not pronounce his name so it morphed into LEE vonn.

According to Levon's This Wheel's on Fire, his name was originally spelled Lavon.

Read about his passing when I was away. He was a wonderful drummer and singer - one of the real ones.

Thanks for everyting you gave, Mr. Helm.

Some of my favorite live Band is on the Dylan/Band Before The Flood album, especially the songs that Levon sings. Many times I've skipped the "shouting" Bob songs for The Band sides. And if you see the late January '83 shows with Danko from Portland or Eugene grab them as they are delightful. Funny banter to go along with very good performances.

Thanks for posting that link. I love the part around the 37:40- 38:12 mark when John Simon and Levon are listening to the playback of "Rockin' Chair" and JS says "I love this part here," and Levon, who is just totally wrapped up in the music replies,"me too." They're like two teenage fans - totally giggling and grooving to the music. So great to see them have that love for something they recorded 30 years previously.

Edit: Also, am I alone in thinking that Rick Danko's singing/voice got better as he got older? His signing on "King Harvest" in the video is absent the forced mannerisms that marked his singing on the original version(and his singing from that era.) His voice also sounds fuller and he has no problems hitting those high notes.

Edited by J.H. Deeley