MLB 2012 Season

Batshit crazy and perhaps crucial White Sox win tonight after the Tigers lose. Sox blow a five-run lead in the top of the ninth to go down 8-7 and then win 9-8 on a Konerko fly to deep right center that the Mariner right fielder catches and then has it knocked out of his glove in a collision with the center fielder, Dewayne Wise scoring from second. On the previous play, a Dunn deep fly to the wall, caught by the backpedaling left fielder, the normally savvy Wise for some reason drifted halfway to third and just stared instead of waiting on second and tagging up; if he had he could have then walked into third, and then even if Konerko's fly had been caught he still would have scored the winning run. And if Dunn's ball had not been caught, Wise could have scored easily on that play from second. You can put me on a board, yes.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can put me on a board, yes.

Is Hawk one of those things that wears better when you hear him every day than on and of a few days a year over the decades? I tended to enjoy his eccentricities when it was him & Wimpy on WGN a few times a week, but since then...not my guy, I know. Just wondering if it feels different when it is your guy.

Batshit crazy and perhaps crucial White Sox win tonight after the Tigers lose. Sox blow a five-run lead in the top of the ninth to go down 8-7 and then win 9-8 on a Konerko fly to deep right center that the Mariner right fielder catches and then has it knocked out of his glove in a collision with the center fielder, Dewayne Wise scoring from second. On the previous play, a Dunn deep fly to the wall, caught by the backpedaling left fielder, the normally savvy Wise for some reason drifted halfway to third and just stared instead of waiting on second and tagging up; if he had he could have then walked into third, and then even if Konerko's fly had been caught he still would scored the winning run. And if Dunn's ball had not been caught, Wise could have scored easily on that play from second.

Was following the last inning of that game on MLB TV, and after the excitement wore off, I got to thinking like a Tired Old Man and realized that everybody could have saved everybody a lot of energy by just putting the damn game away in the top of the 9th, sparing the drama, and as soon as the game's over, hey, a boring win counts the same as a heart-stopping one.

But these kids with all their energy and stuff, you can't tell 'em nothing, ya' know? :g

Edited by JSngry

That's SI reporting ESPN reporting one of their Boston correspondent's Tweets! No confirmation, no sources, even on background, just WHOOHOO!!!!!

Typical contemporary journalistic (sports and otherwise) circle-jerk, nobody wants to be left out of RIGHT NOW. Accuracy is just something you say when a certain type of car goes by...

I'm with you on that one, Jim.

Gossip for men.

Think it's a bad deal for the Dodgers, just has a bad Karma feel to it, if the players are doing nothing in Boston, I'm not overly confident they'll do any better in LA. I am not a Beckett fan, at all, nor am I big on Crawford, but with the Dodgers walking into a huge tv deal, they have money to burn.

Exactly.

OTOH, that is what worries me most about the deep pockets of the Guggenheim Baseball Group. It looks like they have absolutely no problem with throwing big, giant wads of money around to essentially buy the WS and pay off the mortgage in one year. In addition, it sure seems to me like they are taking a page straight out of the Steinbrenner playbook: Greed meets baseball. The Dodger farm system will pay dearly.

That kind of stuff is bad for MLB regardless of who is doing it.

Edited by GoodSpeak

You can put me on a board, yes.

Is Hawk one of those things that wears better when you hear him every day than on and of a few days a year over the decades? I tended to enjoy his eccentricities when it was him & Wimpy on WGN a few times a week, but since then...not my guy, I know. Just wondering if it feels different when it is your guy.

Batshit crazy and perhaps crucial White Sox win tonight after the Tigers lose. Sox blow a five-run lead in the top of the ninth to go down 8-7 and then win 9-8 on a Konerko fly to deep right center that the Mariner right fielder catches and then has it knocked out of his glove in a collision with the center fielder, Dewayne Wise scoring from second. On the previous play, a Dunn deep fly to the wall, caught by the backpedaling left fielder, the normally savvy Wise for some reason drifted halfway to third and just stared instead of waiting on second and tagging up; if he had he could have then walked into third, and then even if Konerko's fly had been caught he still would scored the winning run. And if Dunn's ball had not been caught, Wise could have scored easily on that play from second.

Was following the last inning of that game on MLB TV, and after the excitement wore off, I got to thinking like a Tired Old Man and realized that everybody could have saved everybody a lot of energy by just putting the damn game away in the top of the 9th, sparing the drama, and as soon as the game's over, hey, a boring win counts the same as a heart-stopping one.

But these kids with all their energy and stuff, you can't tell 'em nothing, ya' know? :g

No, it doesn't feel different when Hawk is your guy. Will never forget when his onetime partner Darrin Jackson told him to drop "a can of corn" because it was old and that he should find another cliche. From that moment, you knew that Jackson was was going to be a onetime partner.

BTW, I didn't notice what was the source of some dispute by the Mariners on the last play of that game. They claimed that Konerko, the batter, passed Kevin Youkilis on the basepath as that crazy final play unfolded -- Yuoukilis probably having stopped to watch whether the ball was going to be caught while Konerko was still chugging along and watching, too -- and if Konerko had passed Youkilis, Konerko would have been out, even if the ball had been dropped, and the whole play would have been dead at that point. Whether in fact he did pass Youkilis I don't know, but if he did, and he could have, that almost certainly happened after the winning run had crossed the plate, at which point the game was over and the the rest was moot. Extra crazy there, and a sign that this game was being played under the sign of The Great Goofus, is that what neither Konerko nor Youkilis did on the basepath had any meaning, unless they themselves did something to screw things up. The game was tied in the bottom of the ninth when Konerko came to bat; the guy (Dewayne Wise) who was or was not going to score the winning run was ahead of both him and Youkilis on the basepath. And both Konerko and Youkilis are more than 10-year veterans. Eeesh.

Is this just a season for weirdness, like last night, or has baseball been changing and I haven't paid attention? Last White Sox game I attended, with two Blue Jays on base a batter hit a ball a yard foul down the 3rd base line. The runner on 3rd saw it and stood on 3rd. But the umpire ruled it a fair ball. The Jay only moved after the umpire screamed at him, and the other Jay almost passed him. Two runs scored and the Sox lost by two. Same game, a rookie White Sox reliever came into the game. A lefty but he didn't even look at the only base runner, on 1st. So the Jay walked over to 2nd. Still the pitcher didn't look at him, so on the next pitch the Jay walked over to 3rd. Since the pitcher still didn't notice him, he walked halfway down the line to home plate. Finally our catcher got our pitcher to notice the runner, so the pitcher threw a wild pitch.

Back to last night. 9th inning when the White Sox desperately needed 2 runs and had 2 on base - what a relief that there was nobody out when Adam Dunn came to bat. Because you knew that Dunn already had his two hits for the week and was going to make a minimum of one out.

darrin survived only 1 year with ed farmer on radio, as well.

guys don't hang around long with darmeo, either.

darrin can be funny and silly, loose as a goose sometimes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jackson has been (since Dec. 2008) and still is Ed Farmer's radio partner.

Back to last night. 9th inning when the White Sox desperately needed 2 runs and had 2 on base - what a relief that there was nobody out when Adam Dunn came to bat. Because you knew that Dunn already had his two hits for the week and was going to make a minimum of one out.

Geez -- Dunn has 38 home runs and 87 RBI. Where would be without him?

darrin survived only 1 year with ed farmer on radio, as well.

guys don't hang around long with darmeo, either.

darrin can be funny and silly, loose as a goose sometimes. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jackson has been (since Dec. 2008) and still is Ed Farmer's radio partner.

apologies--the chaps before darrin lasted only 1 year. chris singleton, and stoney, succeeding the excellent john rooney.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Heard recently that Dunn has a shot to be the first player with over 35 home runs and hit under .200. Don't know if that's true, but it would certainly be something if it happened. He's got the HRs and he's hitting just a tad over .200.

Dave Kingman hit .210 with 35 Hrs in 1986.

Wonder if Dunn will make the HoF if he hits 500 HRs over his career? Wouldn't think so, but stranger things have happened in baseball.

Edited by paul secor

I am so glad I am in full "ignorance of Red Sox baseball is bliss" mode.

Or I was until this afternoon. Considering how often any team has ever decimated its roster by unloading not one, not two, but three All-Stars in an August waiver deal, I am going to ignore what had been a meticulous commitment to not comment on MLB the rest of the season to offer the following:

1. Adrian Gonzalez is gone, but this fucking piece of shit remains?

628x471.jpg

SERIOUSLY? The only player signed for 2013 that could ever possibly scare an opposing pitcher, and he's sent away, while the asshole who was forced on the GM by ownership, ran Youkilis out of town, and makes everything about him instead of the team by running his mouth stays?

2. Beckett is gone ... fine and dandy I was sick of him myself. But wave bye bye to Ortiz too. Why would he come back now? The line up is a fucking joke and will be even more so after his departure.

3. I hear that now, with so much money off the books for 2013, the Sox have the money to sign Ellsbury. First of all, what the fuck are people smoking? Ellsbury will go to free agency as every Boras client does. And he will extract the absolute maximum he can for his client. And anyway, why the fuck would you want to sign him for big bucks? One great year, sandwiched by two awful years derailed by injuries. Which one is the real Ellsbury? Let some other fucking idiot owner pay the money to find out!

4. Or, how about throwing a shitload of money at Hamilton? Yeah commit to a former addict with an injury history for a huge contract that starts in his age 32 season. Isn't that the whole fucking reason they decimated the roster in the first place?

5. It appears they remain committed to the piece of shit pictured above for the rest of his contract and given that the roster will be a fucking joke through 2013, I say this:

See you in the MLB 2014 Season thread. I'm done.

It's a conspiracy to introduce fried chicken to the Dodgers' clubhouse!

Seriously bad move to lose Gonzalez, who was the Red Socks' better hope than Ellsbury.

It would appear that the only reason the Dodgers did this deal was to get Adrian Gonzalez.

But, TBH, I am very glad Loney is gone. He has been a Giants killer for years.

As to the BoSox, I guess they are all about the youth movement now. Hm. Good luck with competing with the Yonkers.

Seriously bad move to lose Gonzalez, who was the Red Socks' better hope than Ellsbury.

It would appear that the only reason the Dodgers did this deal was to get Adrian Gonzalez.

As to the BoSox, I guess they are all about the youth movement now. Hm. Good luck with competing with the Yonkers.

You've got that wrong. The Yankees play a few miles south of Yonkers!

it seems to me that the sox management here is trying to either shift the blame for this debacle to theo or emulate what he is now doing in chitown. i can't finger out which. :shrug[1]:

My bad.

I'll buy a better map ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

the dodgers have announced that play by play man vin scully will return for his 64th year. mr. goodspeak will be delighted to learn that one of the few remaining masters of the language will continue to be heard. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think Vin Scully is the absolute best...he just announces games for the wrong team ^_^