MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story just gets curiouser and curiouser.....

Melky Cabrera creates fake website in an attempt to avoid PED suspension.

What a dope.

He should get another 50 games for that.

It's certainly curious as you point out, yet when it's all said and done, it's all part of Melky and his handlers going all out to set up things for his upcoming contract negotiations, and the entire thing blew up big time.

Ironically Bay Area Comcast Sports (now vidicated) reporter Andrew Baggarly got wind of the dirty test and reported on it 3 weeks ago and aplologized to Cabrera because he did not get complete official confirmation before he made it public.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201208/melky-cabrera-andrew-baggarly-drug-test-san-francisco-giants-csn-bay-area

Edited by Mike Schwartz

The Astros axed Brad Mills, after less than three years with the team, and promoted AAA manager Tony De Francesco to helm things.

In a way I'm disappointed for Mills, as he never was able to work with any real talent, so he never had a real chance to field a competitive team. At best they were/are a group of AA/AAA caliber players.

I'm not sure anybody will have much success with this team, given its makeup.

Honestly, the Astros (at least at this point) really screwed up, and didn't get anywhere near what they should have for the players they traded away. Glad they traded Michael Bourn, but no way should they have given him up for what they got from the braves. Don't think any of the guys given up by the Phils have made Astros fans forget about Pence(Yet-Jonathan Singleton may be pretty good down the road) Reminds me of the Pirates seemingly forced to give up Xavier Nady and Jason Bay(back when they were well above average outfielders in their late 20's) Don't think the guys they got for them are the reason they are in the W.C. hunt right now....Don't know how the Marlins are able to have a fire sale yet get teams top prospects back, and some teams don't.

I just don't see how Brad Mills can be blamed for this mess. There was huge turnover in staff last year, then everyone else this year...and the Astros were supposed to be competitive with a bunch of raw kids new to the organization? Stoopid.

Always liked the Astros, back to the Jose Cruz Sr, Enos Cabell, Art Howe days...hopefully they get some great draft pick, and will compete soon. Look how quick the Nats turned things around...surely there are a ton Bryce Harper's and Stephen Strasburgs just waiting to be drafted in a year or two! ;)

Tony Gwynn ?

SS, yep! .338 for him, Rod Carew and Wade Boggs both ended up with a career .328 BA.

Come on, someone must know some interesting baseball trivia! Quincy????? :shrug[1]:

Bucs and the Cards going into the top of the 19th(!!) inning.

I wonder if Cardinal announcer Mike Shannon has set a record for most games over 18 innings. For once the Braves or Mets weren't involved too.

I wonder how many times he said, Abner Doubleday, you've done it again! ;) (Probably hasn't said that in a decade or three...)

Tony Gwynn ?

SS, yep! .338 for him, Rod Carew and Wade Boggs both ended up with a career .328 BA.

Come on, someone must know some interesting baseball trivia! Quincy????? :shrug[1]:

I wonder if Cardinal announcer Mike Shannon has set a record for most games over 18 innings. For once the Braves or Mets weren't involved too.

I wonder how many times he said, Abner Doubleday, you've done it again! ;) (Probably hasn't said that in a decade or three...)

Wait a minute... wasn't the question for 1960 - 1969? As usual, I'm confused :blush:

Roger Clemens signing with Houston indy league team

Former Astros great Roger Clemens will pitch again in the Houston area.

Clemens will sign with the Sugar Land Skeeters and pitch on Saturday, according to a source close to the team.

The Skeeters, an independent professional team, are a far cry from the Astros or the Yankees. Clemens, who just turned 50 years old earlier this month, last pitched in 2007 for the Yankees.

Clemens is one of the most accomplished pitchers in Major League Baseball history, but he also has created his share of controversy through the years.

He most recently was cleared of perjury charges that he was accused of lying to Congress about steroid use.

Rest of the article is at the above link...

What hitter has the highest career BA since Ted Williams? Shouldn't be quite as hard...

Ichiro?

Honestly, the Astros (at least at this point) really screwed up, and didn't get anywhere near what they should have for the players they traded away.

In their early days it was just maddening how bad they were at trades! The All Star team was full of players Houston had traded away. Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub, Denis Menke, Jimmy Wynn. Cesar Geronimo. And a bunch more.

Tony Gwynn ?

Wait a minute... wasn't the question for 1960 - 1969? As usual, I'm confused :blush:

We've moved on, answered here ;)

Edited by BERIGAN

Tony Gwynn ?

We've moved on, answered here ;)

Once you hit 50, your attention begins to wonder......

Lincecum came through with a gem to win 4-1.

Cain on the mound tonight...Go Giants!

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

Even in a losing effort like tonight, it's a treat to watch Ian Kinsler, Elvis Andrus ,& Adrian Beltre in the field. A real treat, it is, damn near every game, win or lose. Hardly a game goes by where that leather don't smile.

Beltre is still a factor? He's a great talent, then!