MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can hit and was leading the Phils in that category. So we see if he can keep it going with the Giants.

Now, with Hector Sanchez coming off the DL and Sandoval not far behind, things could be looking up!

Reports coming in that Rangers land Dempster.

He's older than Oswalt! But not as broken! Yay!

I think that's a good pick-up for your guys, Jim.

Mostly, I'm glad Texas got him and not the Dodgers ^_^

The main thing now is to just be better and less broken than Oswalt.

Still expecting Yu and Ross to get tired (and plenty of other bumps in the road), but it's a viable deal coming at a good time. Don't see it hurting anything, I'll put it that way. Doing nothing would have.

He can hit and was leading the Phils in that category. So we see if he can keep it going with the Giants.

Pence was NOT leading the Phillies in hitting w/ his .271 avg. The Phillies leading hitter is Carlos Ruiz at .342. Pence has some pop in his bat w/ 17 homers. Maybe it will work out for the Giants. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. He certainly played better last season after his trade to the Phillies. But... there are a lot of holes in his game. A good player but not worth the money he's owed.

Pence was NOT leading the Phillies in hitting w/ his .271 avg. The Phillies leading hitter is Carlos Ruiz at .342. Pence has some pop in his bat w/ 17 homers. Maybe it will work out for the Giants. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. He certainly played better last season after his trade to the Phillies. But... there are a lot of holes in his game. A good player but not worth the money he's owed.

Right-hand power just does not happen at AT&T Park, you have to hit a monster blast to get it out in left field, especially at night, and I can't remember too many being hit out there for this year. So I do not expect big things from Pence in the power department.

Oswalt to the bullpen, Feliz to have TJ surgery

http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/7/31/3207505/oswalt-to-the-bullpen-feliz-to-undergo-tommy-john-surgery#storyjump

Ridin' that newly-resurgent Scott Feldman, baby! Onward!

Glad more than ever to still have those top-level prospects in place and not given away in a panic deal in what is shaping up to be a pretty rough year for our pitchers.

Come back healthy, Neffy & Colby.

Well, Phillies seem to be blowing up the team. I get trading Victorino. But why trade Hunter Pence? I know he gets paid very well, but he's only 29, and plays with a ton of energy. If the Giants get him, it will give them a huge boost. And most importantly, something for Mike Schwartz and Goodspeak to finally agree on! ;)

Back to the Phils though. I'm not seeing ML ready pieces coming back, at least in the spotty info I am seeing. So do they trade Cliff Lee too? Roy? Boy, Cole Hamels must be kicking himself right now.

Trading two outfielders(one of which that will be a FA in two months) is not "blowing up" the team. Why get rid of Pence? Are you serious? He's a good complimentary player that is getting paid star money - $10M this season and he's eligible for arbitration next year(estimates are $13-15) That's a lot of coin for a player that can't field, throws like a girl, strikes out too much, is terrible with RISP, and doesn't know how to run the bases. But hey he's got a TON of energy. The Phillies are getting Schierholtz (who always comes up with a clutch hit vs. the Phillies it seems), the Giants # 2 overall prospect , a young arm, and most importantly they get to dump salary. I like it.

I don't think Lee was ever seriously on the market. That was just Amaro messing with the media's heads. Maybe soemthing will happen in the off season but it all depends upon Halladay's health.

The Phillies don't need to rebuild, just reload. Get a third baseman that can hit for power and field, grab Michael Bourn, and do something about the BP. Big "to do" list but not impossible.

I think you are forgetting your team has had no offense to support Pence this year.

Last 3 years with runners on, .309, with RISP, Pence is hitting .301

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/28687/type/batting3/hunter-pence

Who lead the team in HR's , RBI's and hits? Pence. He shouldn't be a clean-up hitter, but he has had to be this season.

Pence may throw like a girl(then what does Juan Pierre throw like? :excited: ) but that girl usually gets outs with her arm, at least in past years http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2012/01/another_stat_to_measure_outfie.html

It just seams to me the Phils really need offense. If this frees up a bit of money to sign some guys, great...but the offense sucked before the trades...and I am seeing they got guys like a AA catcher. No 3rd basemen? No LF, CF, RF??

Ain't gonna get Michael Bourn , braves can actually afford him since we won't be spending money on Zack Greinke or Asshole Dempster in 2013(Hey, hope he's great with the Rangers, Rangers fans, but still a dick and a half!)

Oswalt to the bullpen, Feliz to have TJ surgery

http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/7/31/3207505/oswalt-to-the-bullpen-feliz-to-undergo-tommy-john-surgery#storyjump

Ridin' that newly-resurgent Scott Feldman, baby! Onward!

Glad more than ever to still have those top-level prospects in place and not given away in a panic deal in what is shaping up to be a pretty rough year for our pitchers.

Come back healthy, Neffy & Colby.

Wow...wow to Feliz needing TJ too(they should have figured this out awhile back, shouldn't they?)I wonder the percentage of pitchers in the Majors that have had TJ surgery? Feels like it would be 20+%

Edited by BERIGAN

The website may have had it wrong, but this is what it said:

"Pence led the Phillies in hits (108), homers, RBIs, runs scored (59), total bases (178) and walks (37)".

source: Pence led Phillies

Right-hand power just does not happen at AT&T Park, you have to hit a monster blast to get it out in left field, especially at night, and I can't remember too many being hit out there for this year. So I do not expect big things from Pence in the power department.

Well, it's 339 down the LF line. Not all that far to go for a HR.

TBH, at night a lot depends on the wind, if there is fog and the pitcher [righty vs righty for example]. Over the years, I've seen a lot of pitches go over the corner wall [hit by the likes of Aubrey Huff and Freddy Sanchez] by guys who aren't power hitters at all. So, I think we wait and see.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Wow...wow to Feliz needing TJ too(they should have figured this out awhile back, shouldn't they?)

It's been a while since he pitched, even in a rehab start...I think they've known for at least a week, figure they kept from announcing it officially until after the trade deadline.

Longest running rivalry in the history of MLB featuring the Giants vs the Dodgers renews again tonight!

Cain on the mound.

GO Giants!

Surely you've heard of the Yankees and Red Sox. Just sayin'.

Giants/Dodgers go back some 112 years....almost 2200 games...longest rivalry & most games played any 2 teams.

Surely you've heard both teams originally came from NYC? Just sayin' :w

Only one of George Brett's home runs could be considered tainted

Buddy said Bonds was a better post season player than Brett

I said at least Brett's got a WS ring

Kinda shut him up after that

Brett did it naturally!

:tup

Brett only hit .337 during the playoffs...10 Hr's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brettge01.shtml#batting_postseason::none

Bonds .247 9 Hr's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml#batting_postseason::none

Brett did it naturally!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brettge01.shtml#batting_postseason::none

Bonds .247 9 Hr's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml#batting_postseason::none

Bonds was a terrible hitter in the post season prior to the 2004 run to the WS, so much so that the .247 was a large inprovement built on that season's playoff run.

Brett did it naturally!

http://www.baseball-...ostseason::none

Bonds .247 9 Hr's

Bonds was a terrible hitter in the post season prior to the 2004 run to the WS, so much so that the .247 was a large inprovement built on that season's playoff run.

The most amazing / interesting Bonds playoff story I heard over the off season was on MLB TV's "Greatest Games" where they were reviewing the Pittsburg vs. Atlanta series, the one with Sid Bream's "speedy dash" to home plate. Andy Van Slyke was one of the in studio guests (center fielder in that game), and he said that before the infamous single that drove in Bream, he kept motioning to Bonds to play closer to the infield, to make the shorter throw possible. Bonds response: He gave Van Slyke the finger.

Watching the reply, it took Sid FOREVER to get to home plate, Bonds probably could have run in with the ball and tagged him out. All those Gold Gloves, and that was the best Bonds could come up with. rolleyes.gif

Edit: To spell Atlanta correctly -- sorry Beri!

Edited by Matthew

Brett did it naturally!

Bonds .247 9 Hr's

The most amazing / interesting Bonds playoff story I heard over the off season was on MLB TV's "Greatest Games" where they were reviewing the Pittsburg vs. Atlanta series, the one with Sid Bream's "speedy dash" to home plate. Andy Van Slyke was one of the in studio guests (center fielder in that game), and he said that before the infamous single that drove in Bream, he kept motioning to Bonds to play closer to the infield, to make the shorter throw possible. Bonds response: He gave Van Slyke the finger.

Watching the reply, it took Sid FOREVER to get to home plate, Bonds probably could have run in with the ball and tagged him out. All those Gold Gloves, and that was the best Bonds could come up with. rolleyes.gif

Edit: To spell Atlanta correctly -- sorry Beri!

Why do you think I usually write, ATL? ;)

Interesting story, thanks for passing it along! Sid was slow for 50 year old. Prince Fielder could get around the diamond twice in the time it would take Sid to do it once. Still not a 100% sure he was safe.

What I admired most about the Rangers - their character, their resiliency, their defiance - has vanished. No idea why, or how, but it is gone.

Uh...guess it's back?

Teams do that, just to mess with your head.(And isn't that one of the greatest gifts of baseball? No way to really get a handle on it, to guess the future?) When the braves are losing, they look like the worst team in baseball. Start of the season, the braves picked up Chad Durbin, who had been released by the Nats. Seemed like a typical move by a team with tight purse strings. Cannot tell you how many times he gave up runs early on. Every outing in April it seemed. Some were unearned, but he was beyond a joke. Seemed to just be killing the team. One braves fan said he would rather see Deanna Durbin on the mound! hitters were batting .378 against him in April. Then .132 in May....now, most inherited runners don't score when he toes the rubber. Never would have guessed.

People thought Michael Bourn was not really into being a brave early on this year, no life in him, it seemed. After a few weeks though, he seemed the most fired up player on the team.

But, when they leave 10 runners on, can't advance guys, and lose 5-1 even though they had 10-12 hits....worst team in baseball!

Edited by BERIGAN