MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cliff Lee's Coming Back To The Rangers rumors are heating back up again...ugh...

The implications if this happens are, it seems to me:

• Plans to stretch Ogando back into the rotation will be tabled. That's a plus. He's not looked whole since his return from the DL, don't want to ruin him.
  • Plans for Feliz are to shut him down for the season. That's a plus, and surgery is not out of the question (or so the gut says). Either way, he's not been right since going out, hasn't been right since coming back to rehab starts, and....let's not break him for good.
  • 4-5 starters to be determined between Feldman, Oswalt, & Lee. Feldman has begun to pitch like it's 2009 again. Oswalt still has that iffy back, and Lee...whazzup with Lee this year, anyway. The numbers don't look good, but the peripherals are,,,not horrible? Que pasa con Senor Cliffadelphia, anyway?

I kinda got a good gut feeling about Feldman finally getting it together and being good for a ride here on out (he's been All That He Could Be for two consecutive games now, and you gotta like what that looks like), and a not so good feeling about Oswalt and his achey-breaky back, so...Lee could fill a need if he's not in fact broken.

But at what cost? Not Profar, no. Not Olt, HELL no (if we don't give Olt for a rental of Prime Greinke, we sure as hell don't give him up for three more years of an On The Downside Cliffadelphia, even if Philly eats some/lots of the buckage). Not if they ask me! :g

Interesting times....ugh.

Lee's numbers are totally misleading. The Phillies defense behind him has been terrible this year. That combined with their anemic offense and their ABYSMAL bull pen has put a lot of pressure on Lee & Halladay, et al. to really step it up which has caused him and the other starters to stay in longer in games then they should and to take more chances. Lee can still pitch - he has close to a 7K/1BB ratio this season. Earlier this season he pitched 10 innings of shut out ball and didn't get a decision. That's gotta screw with your approach to the game.

All that said, If I were the Rangers I would move Ogando back into the rotation and look for BP help. I don't think the Phillies are serious about trading him right now for reasons mentioned in this article. Bottom line - If Texas wants Lee it gonna cost them a lot more than they appear to be willing to part with at the moment.

And just like that, it's allegedly over. No deal.

http://www.lonestarb...ee-have-all-but

All things considered, good!

Re: Michael Young to the Phillies.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

OK.

Could somebody explain to me the Scutaro pick-up by the Giants? A fair to middle-of-the road IFer who has promptly launched into a three game hitting slump does not help the team at all. I mean, I get that renting Hanley Ramirez would have be a disaster, but Scutaro...really?

Grrr :angry:

Hey Goodspeak,

Organissimo does call itself "The best jazz discussion forum on the web!"

When it comes to sports, and most of all baseball, it sure appears that you love to improvise (ie; make stuff up on the fly) !

You asked earlier why your team picked up Scutero:

In case you hadn't noticed your 3rd baseman Pablo Sandoval is out & injured.

He's not one of the major moves that they very well may need, but he's not a BAD move.

"A fair to middle-of-the road IFer who has promptly launched into a three game hitting slump..."

BTW, FYI he's played 2 games and went 1 for 3 in each game.

2 for 6 = .333 in a Giants uniform

I figured you probably missed some of these stats, since they're kind of pesky and bothersome as far as you're concerned; You were probably busy improvising on your personal views of your favorite baseball team.

Here are the current batting averages for every available infielder on the SF Giants.

.150 Huff

.234 Crawford

.237 Belt

.243 Arias

.268 Theriot

.272 Scutero

That's Jazz, Man!! :party:

Edited by Mike Schwartz

1343693981' post='1214370']

FYI Hanley Ramirez is not a rental. He is under contract.

An example of a rental would be last year when SF 'rented' Carlos Beltran whose contract expired at the end of the season, and were unable (or unwilling) to sign, having given up a top pitching prospect to get him.

And we thank the Giants for Zack Wheeler partywhistle.gif

I'm thinking you got an older man with an achy back and a kid who wasn't projected to even be on the roster this year maybe starting to show some big-league wear and I'm wondering how much of the future I'm wanting to wager to stop the bleeding right now...

I don't know. I honestly don't know.

An example of a rental would be last year when SF 'rented' Carlos Beltran whose contract expired at the end of the season, and were unable (or unwilling) to sign, having given up a top pitching prospect to get him.

What's the latest on that kid?

The more I think about it....get Ogando stretched out, fuck Oswalt, and let's see if that's good enough to get it done. May not be, but geez, nobody gets it done every year, and no sense dumping your two biggest prospects for a two month gamble in a year where a lot of things besides Roy Oswalt haven't really been clicking.

In the meantime...

needalotofbooze.gif

HA!

"An example of a rental would be last year when SF 'rented' Carlos Beltran whose contract expired at the end of the season, and were unable (or unwilling) to sign, having given up a top pitching prospect to get him.

Wheeler entered this season as the Mets' No. 1 prospect, and he showed why Thursday night by buzzing 95-97 mph fastballs past some of Harrisburg's best hitters. It's no surprise the Georgia kid was the No. 6 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

“Oh, he's definitely something special,” Binghamton manager Pedro Lopez said of Wheeler, who improved to 6-2 with a 1.66 ERA in his 10th Eastern League start.

“Not only does he have a good fastball, but he's got a good feel for his secondary pitches.”

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/06/prized_pitcher_zack_wheeler_sh.html

What's the latest on that kid?

Utterly pointless observation as it has no bearing on his career, but I'm surprised to see that this 22 year old has yet to commit an error. His total innings equal over 31 complete games (if it helps to visualize 283 IP) and it's not unheard of for a pro to do that, but to have not committed one in A ball?! I've been to quite a few 7 (total) error A ball games, so that kind of blows my mind. Even if he didn't face many bunt attempts I'd think sooner or later a young pitcher would screw up a toss to 1st. Oh, pretty nice looking pitching numbers, and I'm more impressed that humans can be 6'4" and just 185. :lol:

Utterly pointless observation as it has no bearing on his career, but I'm surprised to see that this 22 year old has yet to commit an error. His total innings equal over 31 complete games (if it helps to visualize 283 IP) and it's not unheard of for a pro to do that, but to have not committed one in A ball?! I've been to quite a few 7 (total) error A ball games, so that kind of blows my mind. Even if he didn't face many bunt attempts I'd think sooner or later a young pitcher would screw up a toss to 1st. Oh, pretty nice looking pitching numbers, and I'm more impressed that humans can be 6'4" and just 185. :lol:

Only you could notice something like this! :P Heck, and you made an error just in pointing this out to us! :D

I think it's pretty impressive too...6'4" 185. Probably lying!

Braves made a trade! 2 actually...

The Cubs have traded left-hander Paul Maholm, outfielder Reed Johnson and cash considerations to the Braves in a four-player trade that provides Atlanta with reinforcements for the season's final two months and bolsters Chicago's minor league system. The Cubs obtain right-handers Jaye Chapman and Arodys Vizcaino in the trade, which the teams have announced.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/team-to-acquire-reed-johnson.html

For people that care about such silly stats, Reed is hitting .307. Maholm has a 3.74 ERA but a 4-0 record and 1.23 ERA in July. Dempster can now officially rot... Cubs fans should boo the living shit out of him every chance they get...

Well, Phillies seem to be blowing up the team. I get trading Victorino. But why trade Hunter Pence? I know he gets paid very well, but he's only 29, and plays with a ton of energy. If the Giants get him, it will give them a huge boost. And most importantly, something for Mike Schwartz and Goodspeak to finally agree on! ;)

Back to the Phils though. I'm not seeing ML ready pieces coming back, at least in the spotty info I am seeing. So do they trade Cliff Lee too? Roy? Boy, Cole Hamels must be kicking himself right now.

Well, Phillies seem to be blowing up the team. I get trading Victorino. But why trade Hunter Pence? I know he gets paid very well, but he's only 29, and plays with a ton of energy. If the Giants get him, it will give them a huge boost. And most importantly, something for Mike Schwartz and Goodspeak to finally agree on! ;)

Back to the Phils though. I'm not seeing ML ready pieces coming back, at least in the spotty info I am seeing. So do they trade Cliff Lee too? Roy? Boy, Cole Hamels must be kicking himself right now.

Trading two outfielders(one of which that will be a FA in two months) is not "blowing up" the team. Why get rid of Pence? Are you serious? He's a good complimentary player that is getting paid star money - $10M this season and he's eligible for arbitration next year(estimates are $13-15) That's a lot of coin for a player that can't field, throws like a girl, strikes out too much, is terrible with RISP, and doesn't know how to run the bases. But hey he's got a TON of energy. The Phillies are getting Schierholtz (who always comes up with a clutch hit vs. the Phillies it seems), the Giants # 2 overall prospect , a young arm, and most importantly they get to dump salary. I like it.

I don't think Lee was ever seriously on the market. That was just Amaro messing with the media's heads. Maybe soemthing will happen in the off season but it all depends upon Halladay's health.

The Phillies don't need to rebuild, just reload. Get a third baseman that can hit for power and field, grab Michael Bourn, and do something about the BP. Big "to do" list but not impossible.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

When it's all said & done, Schierholtz is probably a pretty happy guy.

He's produced in spurts, but never had the chance to be a full time guy and get a lot of plate appearances , to prove if he is really is an every day guy at this level.

At least for the rest of this year, he gets to audition for every day play, which he's never received in SF. He's a very good right fielder with a strong and accurate arm.

Phil's traded away 2 starting outfielders and got one back....no big deal.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

When it's all said & done, Schierholtz is probably a pretty happy guy.

He's produced in spurts, but never had the chance to be a full time guy and get a lot of plate appearances , to prove if he is really is an every day guy at this level.

At least for the rest of this year, he gets to audition for every day play, which he's never received in SF. He's a very good right fielder with a strong and accurate arm.

I've always liked Schierholtz, and feel that Bochy never handled him correctly, but uses the typical Bochy method of sitting a player for reasons only he understands (exhibit A: Brandon Belt). Can't say I'm too thrilled with Pence either, his style of play if terrible to watch.

Edit to make sense

Edited by Matthew

I dunno.

I can't really fault Bochy. I mean, Schierholtz has always been spotty at the plate and Belt, well...a great 1Ber who can't hit.

Hunter Pence, however, does and can hit and that is what the Giants need right now out of their line-up.

Edited by GoodSpeak