What cd does this Lucky Thompson song come from?

Jazztropic

Deep Passion was on the first of Lucky's two LPs for ABC, recorded in January 1956. Both LPs are complete on an OOP Impulse CD titled "Tricotism", # 11352.

But if you listen to "Deep Passion" you are really listening to the track "A Lady's Vanity", as both titles (or more) were confused on these albums and subsequent issues.

There is another version with Lucky on an ABC LP by the Oscar Pettiford Orchestra, reissued on the OOP Impulse CD # 11432 which verifies this. So to listen to the real "Deep Passion" on the Lucky album you have to click on "Vanity".

"Deep Passion" is a Thompson original, while "Vanity" is an improvisation on the changes of "Body and Soul".

On the Jasmine LP reissue of the ABC album Lucky Thompson Featuring Oscar Pettiford, there is no mention of a 'Deep Passion' track. It's listed as plain 'Body and Soul'.

Doh! I had that issue for a while and didn't notice. You sure? You still have it?

But as I said the "Deep Passion" on the Pettiford album is a different tune and definitely not based on "Body and Soul".

On the Jasmine LP reissue of the ABC album Lucky Thompson Featuring Oscar Pettiford, there is no mention of a 'Deep Passion' track. It's listed as plain 'Body and Soul'.

Doh! I had that issue for a while and didn't notice. You sure? You still have it?

But as I said the "Deep Passion" on the Pettiford album is a different tune and definitely not based on "Body and Soul".

Yes, I have the Jasmine reissue of volume 1. Never could get a decent original LP of this.

I do have the original ABC LP of volume 2.

• 1 year later...