Computer Gurus - Is it important to buy OEM printer ink?

I have an Epson printer. Last night I looked at replacement ink cartridges, and the Epson brand was pretty expensive.

Are the competitors' cartridges good enough in your opinion, or are they likely to screw up and foul my printer?

By the way, I put one set of cartridges on my wish list last night, and now there are two ads for it showing up when I visit Drudge. Talk about Big Brother!

I use an H.P. printer. I'm no computer guru, but I will say that I've had only moderate success with the ink refill services. Sometimes a refilled cartridge works Ok, but other times when I re-install the cartridges the computer doesn't recognize them (though it was fine before the refill, go figure). I then have to buy new replacement cartridges. I tend not to buy originals, but the knock-offs. They have always worked fine.

I've had horrible luck. Wish I could say otherwise.

Same here. I was given a cheap Epson from a friend and did not feel like plunking down the money to replace all 4 cartridges (yes, they do magenta/cyan/yellow/black all in separate cartridges :rolleyes: ) so I bought a knockoff black cartridge in Chinatown from a shop that looked not-completely-dodgy. Unfortunately one or both of the following happened:

-I bought an inferior cartridge and it sucks at printing cleanly

-Epson actually takes steps to recognize and may even deliberately sabotage non-manufacturer cartridges. Most of the time now the printer software gives me a "this is not a proper cartridge" error and refuses to print. The cartridges contain some kind of circuitry that identifies them as legit to the printer/printer software, and I'm kind of surprised that the Chinese factory that made/smuggled out the knockoff hasn't yet figured out how to circumvent it yet.

Edited by Big Wheel

I use a HP Laserjet 2300 at the office and am very, very pleased with the refill cartridges that we use, both with the price, the yield (pages) and the printing quality, including in the case of difficult jobs (example: b/w printouts of high-res pictures such as those on the Shorpy website).

However, you have to shop around and have a bit of luck on your side too. We used to use a different refill brand from another supplier (more or less same price, i.e. same savings vs. genuine OEM items) which were quite OK too for more run-of-the-mill printouts (more text, not so many images) but the printout quality on full-page high-res photos was not up to par as lighter horizontal streaks appeared and the contrast tended to suffer once the cartridge had seen a bit of use. OTOH with the ones we have now been using for some time, no problems whatsoever at all, including with photo printouts from page 1 and almost to the end of the useful life of the cartridge.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I'm not if this is the same State side but here in UK Canon's own carts will cost me around £44 for a set, versus £14 for generic carts from an online supplier in the Jersey tax haven. I have little doubt that the Canon carts combined with Canon paper ( critical) provide really outstanding results but at a cost that cannot be justified for school project and travel documents that the printer needs to churn out on a regular basis. So I use cheap carts such as these on the family Mac but nice Canon ones on my photoprinter.

Edited by Clunky

I guess I should have mentioned what I use my printer for. I use it only rarely, only when I have to. Never to print photos or anything where quality counts. Just to print documents.

My concern is in screwing up the machine.

As I recall, the printer was on sale for $69 when I got it two years ago. It's a Workforce 310. At the price Epson wants for its cartridges, I think it would make more sense to buy a new printer.

I guess I should have mentioned what I use my printer for. I use it only rarely, only when I have to. Never to print photos or anything where quality counts. Just to print documents.

As I recall, the printer was on sale for $69 when I got it two years ago. It's a Workforce 310. At the price Epson wants for its cartridges, I think it would make more sense to buy a new printer.

I have a real problem with landfill that binning a working printer equals. It cannot be good for the environment. I've had a generic cart flood the print head ruining a machine just once but the cost saving still is tilted in favour of the cheapo generics iMO,

Printer companies are really in the business of selling ink, not printers. That is why printers can be had so cheap, their cost is subsidized by ink sales.

I have an Epson NX625 that I picked up at Fry's last year for around $60, which is a ridiculously low price considering its capabilities. The "starter" cartridges it came with didn't last long, and I wound up buying a set of high-capacity Epson cartridges from Amazon for about $70 or so. I'm still using those, so I'm not sure yet how much use I can expect to get out of a set of new cartridges, but most of our printing needs are fairly low-volume. The cost of consumables for consumer-grade inkjet printers can get expensive pretty quickly if you do a lot of high-volume printing.

Well I tell you what.

Thanks to mr jazz's suggestion, I went to Carrot Ink, and looked up what they had for the Epson Workforce 310. Their set of five cartridges (which is what mine holds) costs $32.95. They also sell a single large black cartridge for $39.95.

I forgot to mention that my printer hasn't been perfect. Despite the fact that I have rarely used it, it often has lines with a blank stripe running through the letters.

And then this afternoon I received an email from BJ's saying that they have an HP all-in-one on sale through the 26th for $59.99.

I just can't see spending $33 or $40 for ink when a new unit (which presumably works perfectly) costs less than double that.

So I'll sleep on it, but at this point I think I'll just get the new HP unit.

Thanks again for your advice.

I forgot to mention that my printer hasn't been perfect. Despite the fact that I have rarely used it, it often has lines with a blank stripe running through the letters.

Not using an ink jet printer very often can cause problems too. I'm not sure if that's what's behind the blank striping, but as you can guess the ink nozzles (probably not the right term) can dry with long periods of inactivity.

Youtube must have hundreds of videos of people destroying printers. I consulted it for ideas when it came time to send a malfunctioning HP straight to hell. I used a sledgehammer, and no, I did not film it. And yes, it felt good to do it. Real goooooooooooooood. :)

I have several printers, so I use several kinds of ink cartridges. I find HP to be outrageously overpriced, so my 3 HPs get little use. One of them is a color laser that needs 4 cartridges costing about $180 EACH!

My Samsung monochrome laser printer is fine and not expensive to maintain, and then there is my Kodak all-in-one. I bought the Kodak because their cartridges are quite reasonable—the printhead is in the printer, so the cartridges don't need to contain one. I understand that having to buy cartridges containing new printheads is part of what makes HP ink cartridges so expensive.

I also find that I have far less need for any kind of printer these days, e-mail being the reason.

As for your original question, I learned never ever to buy the kind of replacement cartridges that require you to physically refill. NEVER! The ready-made ones are not all bad, there are certain brands that work just as well for me as the ones supplied by the printer manufacturer. Epson is priced to eliminate the substitute temptation.

Thanks, Chris! I have added a Samsung monochrome laser and a Kodak (all I could find for Kodaks were color) to my camelcamelcamel list.

If I could buy a printer (I suppose from anyone) that would allow me to just use black ink, that would be fine with me. For my purposes, the color ink is a waste of money.

I used re-filled cartridges for about two years on my Epson R220. It eventually got to the point where some of the heads would not clean. Whether that's the re-filled cartridges fault or just age is anyone's guess. It worked well when it worked. For the cost of new cartridges you can literally buy a new printer every time. It's absolutely insane. I have a new Epson now, so new that my local refurbished cartridge store doesn't stock the replacements yet. When it does, I'll be using them, no doubt.

I tried the cheap off-brand cartridges (not re-filled bu also not originally OEM) and they sucked. Bad color, clogging, and they ruined my other Epson after only a few uses. But re-fills of OEM cartridges is a different story, imo.

You can get HP All in one printers for $39.99 to $69.99 at walmart. (they have a wireless one for $49.99 online right now)I usually get the cheapest one, and get a year or so out of it. What's really funny is they put in the HP XL ink, the ones that typically run around $60 for the pair, so it's cheaper to buy the printer than to buy two cartridges! :wacko: Give the "used" printer to Salvation Army, and get a brand new one!

Oh, like Big Wheel said, some printers flat out refuse to work with any refills. Talked to a guy at Cartridge world about that...HP printers just refuse to tell you what your ink levels are when you get your cartridge refilled, so you just run out one day...but they work..

Edited by BERIGAN