Jimmy Heath on Blue Note Records

Head Man

I'm part-way through Jimmy Heath's autobiography "I Walked With Giants" and he refers to records he made with Donald Byrd for Blue Note in 1963 that "weren't released then because of problems between Donald and Al Lion".

I don't recall ever hearing Jimmy play on a Blue Note release. Does anyone know what recording he's referring to here and whether it was ever released?

Plus, can anyone shed any light on the problems that Jimmy refers to between Donald Byrd and Alfred Lion? I seem to recall reading that Donald Byrd fell out with a lot of his friends at one time and actually gave up playing jazz.

Edited by Head Man

According to Michael Cuscuna/Michel Ruppli's Blue Note discography Jimmy Heath played on these Blue Note sessions (I've only mentioned the original 12" LP releases):

- April 20, 1953 with Miles Davis, issued on Miles Davis Vols.1-2, Blue Note 1501~2

- June 22, 1953 with J.J. Johnson, issued on The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson Vols.1-2, Blue Note 1505~1506

- April 9, 1962 with Freddie Hubbard, issued on Hub Cap, Blue Note (8)4073

- April 11-12, 1963 with Horace Silver, session (seven tracks) rejected

- May 20, 1963 with Donald Byrd, one track unissued in the original 12" LP series, one track rejected

- November 18, 1964 with Donald Byrd, session (two tracks) unissued in the original 12" LP series

- November 17, 1967 with Blue Mitchell, issued on Heads Up!, Blue Note 84272

Edited by J.A.W.