# of u.s. restaurants

As to fast food, you Eastern guys are missing out on one of the best burger chains in the country:

in_n_out_logo-500x333.jpg

They recently came to the DFW area, and I doubt that I will ever try them.

Why?

Because my daughter applied for a position with them. My daughter is bright, sparkly, well-groomed, and fit what they said was their vibe perfectly.

Per her, the interview started out like this:

THEM: Are you a Christian?

HER: I have my beliefs...but...what does that have to do with hamburgers?

THEM: We have a certain culture here, and you might not fit in.

And it went downhill from there.

I'm sure they're good, but none for me, thanks.

With all due respect, could it be the manager/interviewer went off the script on his own?

This is not the Church of Latter Day Bovine...it's a burger business. And if my students who are employed by them are any indication, religion is definitely not a prerequisite.

As to fast food, you Eastern guys are missing out on one of the best burger chains in the country:

in_n_out_logo-500x333.jpg

They recently came to the DFW area, and I doubt that I will ever try them.

Why?

Because my daughter applied for a position with them. My daughter is bright, sparkly, well-groomed, and fit what they said was their vibe perfectly.

Per her, the interview started out like this:

THEM: Are you a Christian?

HER: I have my beliefs...but...what does that have to do with hamburgers?

THEM: We have a certain culture here, and you might not fit in.

And it went downhill from there.

I'm sure they're good, but none for me, thanks.

IIRC, those type of questions are illegal to ask on an interview.

No, they're a privately held company, and are well within their rights to ask whatever they want to ask, just as I am free to not eat wherever I want to not eat.

The funny thing is, my daughter actually is a Christian, albeit a totally Zen-ish one. The apple didn't fall far from the tree on that one.

Privately held or not, asking about a person's religion is still against the law.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, could it be the manager/interviewer went off the script on his own?

Totally possible, very likely probable.

But...there was a Mama's Pizza here in Plano that refused to refund my son's quarter from a crane game machine in their game room that was malfunctioning because "we put an out of order sign on it". The kid was, like, 4 or 5 at the time. We've not gone back to that place since, and won't. Over 25 cents, they've lost literally thousands, many thousands, of dollars worth of business over the last 20 or so years. Not that they miss it, but still...they'll get their money from somebody else, thank you.

Fuck me over, we can probably work that out. Fuck my kids over and don't even try to make it right? Game over. Period.

Privately held or not, asking about a person's religion is still against the law.

Well, then, I should have my daughter sue them then. That'll be easy enough, right?

In the meantime, this is Texas. We got hamburgers, ya' know? Nooooo problem.

But...there was a Mama's Pizza here in Plano that refused to refund my son's quarter from a crane game machine in their game room that was malfunctioning because "we put an out of order sign on it". The kid was, like, 4 or 5 at the time. We've not gone back to that place since, and won't. Over 25 cents, they've lost literally thousands, many thousands, of dollars worth of business over the last 20 or so years. Not that they miss it, but still...they'll get their money from somebody else, thank you.

Fuck me over, we can probably work that out. Fuck my kids over and don't even try to make it right? Game over. Period.

Well, then, I should have my daughter sue them then. That'll be easy enough, right?

To quote some lawyer, "Hell is having a meritorious lawsuit."

Edited by kh1958

:g

I mean, really, it would her word against theirs, and then you'd probably end up looking at proving a pattern and all that, and...she ended up getting a better job that she likes better, and I can cook a damn good burger my ownself, so...fuck N & Out. They don't need me, I don't need them, simple as that.

I get your point.

If my daughter was treated like your daughter was, I wouldn't patronize that particular In-N-Out either. In fact, I never even heard of the owners being religious fanatics. All's I'm saying is that they aren't all like that and the manager who asked that question ought to be canned.

As to a lawsuit...well, good luck with that.

McDonald's food is unfit for consumption. :bad:

I was deperate today...on the road and all.

Forgive me for I have eaten.

In N Out prints bible verse references on the burger/fries/drinks packaging.

Snopes link to In N Out Bible Verses

Again this doesn't bother me one way or the other, it's the food that matters. But if I wanted to work for them, I'd definitely do my homework before interviewing.

I have never seen that...ever.

Maybe it's just a Texas thing...?

I'm going to check this out at our local In-N-Out.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Not likely just a Texas thing...they just got here about six months ago.

I've got no problem with the verses on the wrappers and all that, no matter what belief system is being pimped. Hell, I still pull the Celestial Seasonings boxes out of the pantry sometimes just for a good read. :g

Happy Meal doesn't decompose after 6 months.

What's in that shit anyway? :unsure:

There are many foods that won't decompose in a "timely" manner for various reasons. (Hint hint), remember from childhood history books how sailors preserved food? A neat burger experiment.

I hadn't realized In & Out Burger had expanded into Vegas & Texas. For many years it was stated they stated they wouldn't expand as it was too difficult to find suppliers for their organic beef and other ingredients. The religious part has been there since the beginning, it is not a "Texas thing."

Happy Meal doesn't decompose after 6 months.

What's in that shit anyway? :unsure:

There are many foods that won't decompose in a "timely" manner for various reasons. (Hint hint), remember from childhood history books how sailors preserved food? A neat burger experiment.

I hadn't realized In & Out Burger had expanded into Vegas & Texas. For many years it was stated they stated they wouldn't expand as it was too difficult to find suppliers for their organic beef and other ingredients. The religious part has been there since the beginning, it is not a "Texas thing."

Thank you, Mr. Spielberg! :P

Not likely just a Texas thing...they just got here about six months ago.

I've got no problem with the verses on the wrappers and all that, no matter what belief system is being pimped. Hell, I still pull the Celestial Seasonings boxes out of the pantry sometimes just for a good read. :g

I just got an e-mail back from In-N-Out and they confirm the rumor of those Biblical messages.

They liken it to the "secret" menu some know about and others do not. If the customers see the Biblical messages, cool. If not, that's cool, too. I get the idea they aren't pushing the issue nor do they care to, Just something the family likes to do.

I figure it's a lot like those fortune cookie messages we have seen in Chinese eateries for decades.

In short: No big deal.

I just got an e-mail back from In-N-Out and they confirm the rumor of those Biblical messages.

Funny you didn't trust the Snopes link.

I've seen the messages on the packaging with my own eyes. Not a rumor at all.

I agree it's not that big a deal.

3212155774_ac8c17f9c3_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by Aggie87

He didn't write very clearly but "confirm the rumor" means "yes its true" not "we don't put biblical references on their packages.

Five Guys just moved in to South Florida (sounds like a bad set up for a joke) - I think the fries are OK but generally over-salted, my wife would really prefer it if the burgers could be cooked to order but overall I do give thumbs up to the meat.

They liken it to the "secret" menu some know about and others do not.

About a month before the company went live here, somebody made sure that the "secret menu" business was included in all the print stories that were hitting the presses.

Five Guys opened up here over a year ago, and they're good, but I'm more of a single half-pound patty cooked medium rare (at most!) and served on an artisan-type bun guy, so...I like them, but really...I can get better at home.

I wonder who the coy evangelicals at In -N- Out Burgers are sending your burger money to? Perry? Bachman? people even further to the right? [yup, there are]

At the Moonbattery blog, which is pure red, they list In-N-Out:

" Readers are encouraged to patronize these pure red companies, proud recipients of a 0% rating [towards Democrats] earned by supporting only Republicans:"

• Ace Hardware Corporation
  • Advance Auto Parts, Inc.
  • Best Buy Co., Inc.
  • California Pizza Kitchen, Inc.
  • Cintas Corporation
  • Citgo
  • CSS Industries, Inc.
  • Curves International Inc
  • Dollar General Corporation
  • Dollar Tree Stores, Inc.
  • Domino's Pizza, Inc.
  • Fruit of the Loom
  • In-N-Out Burgers, Inc
  • Kohl's Corporation
  • Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc.
  • Lowe's Companies, Inc.
  • Michaels Stores, Inc.
  • Nordstrom, Inc.
  • PETsMART, Inc.
  • RE/MAX International, Inc.
  • Russell Stover Candies Inc.
  • The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc.
  • WinCo Foods, Inc

Funny you didn't trust the Snopes link.

I've seen the messages on the packaging with my own eyes. Not a rumor at all.

I agree it's not that big a deal.

3212155774_ac8c17f9c3_z.jpg?zz=1

I just prefer to go directly to the source.

No big.

I couldn't care less what the religious or political leanings of a food/restaurant ... or any other company are if they have good product. Re Jim's daughter's experience interviewing at In-N-Out ... there's a joke in there somewhere, and she's probably already made it.

I live next to an Amish neighborhood with some g-r-e-a-t home-style cookin' restaurants. Tasty pies, too! (Strawberry rhubarb anyone??) I'm pretty sure they only hire the faithful (kinda like Hooters only hires the young and well-endowed) but the food's damn good, if I can say that.

Edited by papsrus