Urgent Notification: Imminent Destruction of

AllenLowe

I've always been a fierce opponent of de-hiss in sound restoration (with some very mild exceptions) - the new generation of de-hiss programs, however, are scaring me: they seem to be able, now, to get the hiss out and leave the high end - HOWEVER - they color the sound in a very horrible way (sounds like someone tapping on a milk bottle). I am starting to hear this crap, and more and more it makes me determined to hold onto everything LP that I have with original sound - been perusing Ebay lately and making important scores on old RCAs and VJMs, Brunswicks and even a few MCA/Decca/Ace of Hearts.

Music is the only art form they would treat this way (or maybe not) - but no one would bleach a Rembrandt.

this is really bad stuff. Beware.

jazzbo - listen to the Donald Lambert on Storyville; there also a Timeless swing collection; can't think of the title right off, but Burt Eckoff (I think), a Dutch engineer did it.

just found it:

http://www.amazon.com/Timeless-Historical-Presents-Brusnwick-Orchestra/dp/B000056P4E/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324257243&sr=1-3

Edited by AllenLowe

jazzbo - listen to the Donald Lambert on Storyville; there also a Timeless swing collection; can't think of the title right off, but Burt Eckoff (I think), a Dutch engineer did it.

If you don't have it, you can buy the Lambert from Allen. :unsure:

Ultimately, I go for music vs technology.

If the only version of Potato Head was a "scrubbed" version I'd buy it. I have done this many times and wait/hope for a better version. Over the years I have probably had 6 or 7 versions. None of them did damage to me.

This advice is only for folks looking for music, not engineering.

I've got the Lambert, and some Eckoff. . . and I think I see what you mean. But I'm glad to have the music to listen to.

There are so many things out of our control, what's available new, how "loud" the cds are, how the EQ is, how much and what kind of noise reduction. I try to listen through to the music, and I also admit to having some fun doing all kinds of things like changing digital filters, swapping tubes, moving speakers around, etc. When I don't have much control I try to be flexible.

I'd prefer it if they wake up and realize that the sound is suffering from these practices. Could happen. Sometimes I get to have my druthers. Maybe that will happen again soon. :)

I'm not like Chuck on this stuff - I just can't listen to it when they've done this - if I went to a museum and the paintings were bleached, I'd go home. And there are plenty of ways to find things before they've been messed with (as I mentioned, I have a lot of incredible sounding LPs, including some VJMs that were pressed from near-Masters from Columbia). Hearing this stuff in its pristine form is a revelation. Once these digital de-noisings are done, all ambient sound is gone. There's another layer between listener and musician.

yes, selling the Lambert and holding onto my LPs.

Edited by AllenLowe