Sonny Rollins Live in Europe 1959 - Complete Recordings

Hardbopjazz

I haven't listened to this is a long time, but I recall the playing as good in the studio but nothing earth shaking -- but that "St. Thomas" is from another planet! Always wished everything on the LP was as smoking; according to an online discography (which certainly has some holes since the new collection has stuff not listed), there appears to be just oneother cut ("Paul's Pal") from the same date as "St. Thomas."

The Dragon CD added a some live concert material (from the same day as the broadcast), with Joe Harris on drums . A Moon CD contained some four tunes from 3/8/59, with LaRocca back on drums.

All is dandy.

The Swedish Jazz Discography only lists "St. Thomas" from that location (the famous Stockholm club 'Nalen') on March 2nd, but I think there's more to be found on collector's tapes.

Sonny Rollins ts, Henry Grimes b, Pete la Roca dr.

Live at Nalen, Mar 2, 1959

ST. THOMAS Dra DRLP73 / DRCD229

Swedish Radio, Mar 4, 1959

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU --

STAY AS SWEET AS YOU ARE --

I’VE TOLD EVERY LITTLE STAR --

HOW HIGH THE MOON --

OLEO --

PAUL’S PAL --

Södra Teatern, Mar 4, 1959

Sonny Rollins talking.

SONNY ROLLINS INTERVIEW Dra DRCD229

As before but Joe Harris dr instead of la Roca.

IT DON’T MEAN A THING IF IT AIN’T GOT THAT SWING --

PAUL’S PAL --

LOVE LETTERS --

Also on INGO (It) Nine

This is from Nalen in February 1959: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY9h4VAdNpc

It's from a 20 minute program that also included "Paul's Pal" och "It don't mean a thing".

...this package definitely falls under the category of "grey market", aka "bootleg"...

Not meaning to start a fight, but I definitely disagree with your terms, Jim. A bootleg is not grey market - it's black market. I understand grey market to be legal elsewhere but not in the US, such as a PD.

No argument, just a different understanding of the terms.

My understanding of the term "grey market" has always been bootleg, or if you prefer, "black market", material sold over the counter on a regular-looking label through normal retail outlets. That's why it's grey market" instead of "black market", which was always sold under the counter, not over it.

There was a proliferation of such material in the early 1990's, mostly from Italy, but then Italy changed their laws and all that stuff went away for a while. But it's coming back. In fact, some of the material in this current set was released on such labels, Moon & Royal Jazz to be exact.

What is legal elsewhere but not in the US is a lot of Public Domain releases. This is not that, obviously.

This is from Nalen in February 1959: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sY9h4VAdNpc

It's from a 20 minute program that also included "Paul's Pal" och "It don't mean a thing".

That performance (and that program) duplicates the one on the Dragon CD, listed as from March 4, 1959, but the sound is much clearer on this video! Is this from a Jazz Icons release, or what, exactly?

Have just received the set & am currently listening - sound quality seems fine though have only listened to a small amount

I've just realised that 7 of the 11 titles on Disc 2 are also on the bonus Jazz Icons DVD from series 3 Box

Titles 1-3 (Laren, Holland) & 8-11 (Sodra Teatern - interview included)

That performance (and that program) duplicates the one on the Dragon CD, listed as from March 4, 1959, but the sound is much clearer on this video! Is this from a Jazz Icons release, or what, exactly?

I've no idea where this is lifted; I just found the clip on YouTube.

What's confusing is that the discography (as well as the Dragon CD?) states that this performance took place at "Södra Teatern" at March 4. However, in the video clip it clearly looks like "Nalen".

What is legal elsewhere but not in the US is a lot of Public Domain releases. This is not that, obviously.

Since it was recorded in 1959, more than 50 years ago, I think it is all PD.

Now that, I'm not sure about, if bootlegs ever become Public Domain. That would be like a Statute Of Limitations or Amnesty thing or something.

Not sure about the quality of the YouTube video clip but the March '59 video clips from Stockholm and Holland are indeed included on a Jazz Icons "Bonus" disc which is only available if you purchase the complete Series 3 box set. Obviously, a clever marketing ploy to induce jazz video lovers not to cherry pick, but to go for the complete box when a desired performer is featured on a single disc AND on a separate bonus disc.

The Series 3 box includes separate videos for Rollins (clips from '65 & '68), as well as Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Lionel Hampton, Roland Kirk, Oscar Peterson, and Nina Simone. The bonus disc includes the two '59 clips of Rollins (as mentioned above) and one clip each of Kirk and Simone.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 3 weeks later...