What do you do after you're home from the gig?

mikeweil

Always eat, and usually sweets. Jim and I have a post-gig drive home ritual: we listen to classic rock stations and see who can mimic the singers better. He does a great Mick Jagger, while I can cop the guy from Loverboy pretty good. :lol: It's good for laughs and it keeps us awake. Once I get home, a shower and check on the board before bed. I know what you mean about the music staying in your head though, Mike. It's even worse when I'm doing a broadway show or something. Then I might listen to the Coltrane/Hartman album to clear that stuff out.

I'm a writer not a musician, but I have the same kind of problem trying to "come down." It's a strange kind of positive agitation. A lot of artists drink...

I tinker with my CD collection database (not good because I end up wanting to spend money), cook (literally cook, as in food), or you could head straight to the politics forum here on Organissimo, which should take your mind off just about anything ;)

When I did weekend overnights on the radio, it was a real problem "coming down" because I was switching between "regular" hours during the week to staying up all night on the weekends, so I really needed to sleep but was all keyed up from being on the air.

Part of that was, I developed a pretty serious phobia about messing up and having "dead air" such that I would quite often have unpleasant dreams in which the music CD would be winding down and I'd have *nothing* cued up and ready to go. Or, the music would be fading out but the remote start buttons wouldn't work and I'd have the dreaded dead air.

Then I'd wake up and discover that I was frantically manipulating the buttons on the clock radio, trying to get the damn CD to start. :g

The one drawback to my radio career (aside from the pay, hours, and job security).

Edited by Dan Gould

Thanx y'all, you make me feel quite normal. Surfing the web (now I know which page to hit first here), EATING !!!! - can't watch TV, 'cause usually my wife has fallen asleep in front of the telly and wakes up as soon I switch programs. I'm afraid to reduce my waistband I'd have to stop gigging, no money, no food .... :g

...while I can cop the guy from Loverboy pretty good.  :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::g

I just had this mental image of Joe, in full Mike Reno/Loverboy garb: red leather pants, headband, etc.

I don't know Joe -- that image might work for you!!! After all, everybody is indeed "working for the weekend!!" :P;)

Loverboy--the epitome of bandana rock! :rolleyes:

I seem to have a talent for being able to sing like people who's singing I hate. But can I sing like Stevie or Donny Hathaway? No. Oh well, I'll just stick to guitar... :)

This thread brings back an amusing post-gig story that I'd like to share with y'all. One night back in '97 or so I had a bunch of folks come back to my house for some food, hot tubbing, and whatever..... . There were about 10 of us there, a few musicians, and a few girls from the show. I had some Dave's Insanity Private Reserve hot sauce in my fridge, that was so fucking hot that you had to sign a waiver when you bought it. Made from the extract of habanero and scotch bonnet peppers. So, one of these girls (a 25 year old, surgically enhanced Cameron Diaz-looking gal, not at all bright) sees it and says "Hey, I want to try that stuff!" . I told her that she should not do that, but she kept forcing the issue. So she put a tiny little drop on her finger, tried it... and fucking LOST IT. She started looking for something so put in her mouth to contain the heat and ended up licking a bottle of gin that I had in my freezer. :lol: But it gets better. There was this percussion player there who was a complete megalomaniac hip-hopper who called himself "The Masta". He stayed and partied with a few folks after I'd gone in and crashed. I guess he spread a layer of this shit on a piece of toast and took a big old bite of it. Apparently he was up all night shitting red-hot razor blades!!! I used the stuff to cook, and all you needed was like one drop to make a whole batch of chili super hot. :excited:

Our after-the-gig ritual that Joe mentioned was just updated this week:

We always stop at the same gas station in Grand Rapids to gas up and get some munchies for the hour-long trek back to Lansing. Up the street from the gas station is a Checkers fast-food joint that is open late. I've noticed it a few times but we never stopped there: until this past Tuesday!

Oh man, that stuff is GOOD! And CHEAP! Joe's not a fast food kinda guy, but I think I'm going to be pulling through the drive-thru of that baby from now on!

Our after-the-gig ritual that Joe mentioned was just updated this week:

We always stop at the same gas station in Grand Rapids to gas up and get some munchies for the hour-long trek back to Lansing. Up the street from the gas station is a Checkers fast-food joint that is open late. I've noticed it a few times but we never stopped there: until this past Tuesday!

Oh man, that stuff is GOOD! And CHEAP! Joe's not a fast food kinda guy, but I think I'm going to be pulling through the drive-thru of that baby from now on!

We had fun with their motto: "You Gotta Eat!".....so you might as well eat this stuff, since you sho ain't gonna go home and cook nothin'! And you ain't got no job, so you can't afford nothin' better than a 3 dolla hamburger...

:g

So, one of these girls (a 25 year old, surgically enhanced Cameron Diaz-looking gal, not at all bright) sees it and says "Hey, I want to try that stuff!" . I told her that she should not do that, but she kept forcing the issue. So she put a tiny little drop on her finger, tried it... and fucking LOST IT. She started looking for something so put in her mouth to contain the heat and ended up licking a bottle of gin that I had in my freezer. :lol:

So...what happened after she cooled off with the gin? :w

Don't these people know the best way neturalize the hot stuff is milk or cream? :wacko:

After I get home and haul my gear in, I check my email. Since I'm playing my own material, I record it so I review the gig. I used to haul a mixer and a DAT machine. Last Summer I started using DV so I can fall asleep watching myself. :w

After licking the gin, she jumped in the hot tub and showed us all how her plastic surgeon had made one of her breast implants bigger than the other. You could've rested your beer on those muthas!

and THAT's the kind of story I was expecting to hear! :lol:

It's great hanging with musicans. The people I work with can be real dull. I go to biz lunches and they talk about Broadway shows and movies and I don't have too much to add. And their jokes are too damm clean. Damm sensitivity training! :eye::eye:

Lately I go home and ice my arm. It's a bitch getting old!

Actually, I usually watch "Chaplin" shorts. Things from Keystone, Essanay, and Mutual. Always of course with a Bass Ale at hand!

I ice my hands when I work on new material or if I haven't played in a few days. :wacko:

Sometimes I have a drink or two. It helps.