DVD wish list! Films, TV shows, Documentaries

I'll second the vote for a DVD release of Let's Get Lost. Though I've always found the film more a self-portrait (of Weber) than a portrait of Baker, I still love it. Why it couldn't have come out the same time as the recent biography ... I guess we can only speculate.

Has Paris, Texas come out on DVD? I'd like to own that. Love Harry Dean Stanton.

And I wish Straight, No Chaser would have been released with extras. Wasn't that documentary culled from 17 hours of footage? Good gracious!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Complete Get A Life (there's 8 episodes out right now, and they manage to miss all of my favorite episodes...) since there were only 30 episodes, it shouldn't be THAT hard to do.

The Gong Show. Even a two or three hour best of. That was excellent stuff. Sort of an accidental precursor to Jackass...

• 6 years later...

Speaking of nukes, I don't remember the name of that TV movie about terrorists setting off an nuke (in South Carolina, if I remember right) again. Anyone remember that? Sort of made like a TV newscast and all?

It was called Special Bulletin. I watched some of it again a few months ago on YouTube--it may still be there. Definitely made an impression on me when I was a kid (it was broadcast about a year before The Day After, iirc).

EDIT: apparently not on YouTube anymore, but here it is on Google Videos:

Special Bulletin

...and here's the attack scene from THE DAY AFTER

Edited by ghost of miles

... and the first season of the John Larroquette Show.

Happy to know i'm know the only one who digged this series, too bad they took all the edge away after the first year, wished the show would have been done by HBO or Showtime, they never would have made the wreck the network did.

The Larry Sanders Show (complete)---That would be nice.

+1

Edited by Van Basten II

All I want on dvd is the series Parker Lewis Can't Lose and the first season of the John Larroquette Show.

Shout! Factory issued the first season of Parker Lewis on DVD last year, and the second season just came out a couple of weeks ago:

Season One

Season Two

Thanks. Bought & bought!! I loved that show for some reason...:crazy:

"I'll Fly Away".

I loved this series set against the Civil Rights years, with Sam Waterson. It was broadcast here at odd times, scattered across the schedule where there was a gap so I missed a fair bit. I'd buy a box with the full series.

And, related, 'Eyes on the Prize', the documentary series about Civil Rights. Might have made it onto DVD in the States but never seen it here.

"I'll Fly Away".

I loved this series set against the Civil Rights years, with Sam Waterson. It was broadcast here at odd times, scattered across the schedule where there was a gap so I missed a fair bit. I'd buy a box with the full series.

And, related, 'Eyes on the Prize', the documentary series about Civil Rights. Might have made it onto DVD in the States but never seen it here.

Iirc there are music-rights issues with EYES ON THE PRIZE that have hindered its being sold on DVD.

... and the first season of the John Larroquette Show.

Happy to know i'm know the only one who digged this series, too bad they took all the edge away after the first year, wished the show would have been done by HBO or Showtime, they never would have made the wreck the network did.

yeah, they really screwed that show up, a shame....

"I'll Fly Away".

Iirc there are music-rights issues with EYES ON THE PRIZE that have hindered its being sold on DVD.

That's unfortunate. I only saw parts of it when first screened here. I'd find it really useful now as a teach this topic to 16-17 year olds.

L.A. Law. I'd even settle for the two hour premier episode. Ensemble television at its best. Has there ever been a better character than Arnie Becker? I know the series lost a lot of steam in its later years, but the first two or three seasons were, dare I say it, must-see TV. I don't know how they can release all the garbage they throw out these days and still keep this one under wraps.

L.A. Law. I'd even settle for the two hour premier episode. Ensemble television at its best. Has there ever been a better character than Arnie Becker? I know the series lost a lot of steam in its later years, but the first two or three seasons were, dare I say it, must-see TV. I don't know how they can release all the garbage they throw out these days and still keep this one under wraps.

Amazon has a dvd available of the "reunion show." And there may be a product scheduled to appear, there's a page in amazon for the first season and you can sign up to be notified by email.

Frank's Place - great show - only lasted about half a season.

Yeah, my favorite TV show of all time. I taped the full run when they were rerun on BET and am in the process of transferring them to DVD.

Here are the opening credits, with a very familiar gent singing a very familiar song.

The more I read about the show, the more it sounds like it was about 15-20 years ahead of its time...would've been right at home on HBO or some such in the last few years as a cable-network program.

EDIT: music-rights issues again re: DVD release, according to quotes posted at Wikipedia:

Possible DVD Release in the near future

On Oct. 6, 2008; CNN.com/Entertainment Marquee Blog with Showbiz Tonight article: Not Coming to a Store Near You. The reason why Frank's Place is not going to be released on DVD anytime soon, is because of the background music used on the program. In order to release the show on DVD, they would either have to pay a great many musicians a lot of money, or omit the music which would alter the programs impact on the viewer. Until the music licence fee issue is resolved, there will be no DVD release in spite of the numerous requests to do so. [1]

However, on November 11, 2008, it was reported on the web site TV Shows on DVD that plans are underway for an eventual DVD release, although Tim Reid has said that, due to the prohibitive costs of the music rights, a new musical score will be recorded that will "recreate the mood of the music." He adds, "it has to be the mood of the show or I'd rather not do it." [2] No date has been yet given for a release.

Edited by ghost of miles