sickening penn state football allegations

The biggest problem with the Penn State administration isn't that they allowed Sandusky to retire a year after the 1998 shower incident was investigated and no charges were filed.

Its that they said, collectively, "Oh, good - Jerry is going to concentrate on his charitable work with kids now."

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...at least the creep is officially out of circulation and won't be raping any more little boys. Paterno is dead, but whoever is alive should also be held accountable and promptly be removed from the Penn State program. Protocol for dealing with any future child molesters should be in place on every campus such that the proper authorities are involved from day one.

Exactly, and if you take your last paragraph and put that first (where it fits chronologically), you have the Sandusky resignation occurring just a few years before the 2002 incident that McQueary witnessed. Naturally, Paterno already knew what was going on (even if he didn't understand how serious the ramifications were), and the whole PSU braintrust went with a cover-up plan to avoid a scandal. A braintrust led by Joe "I wish I had done more" Paterno, who thought that leading a pep rally on his front lawn amidst the first waves of the media storm was a good idea. Clearly he was the center of authority and power at PSU, but unfortunately, even in 2002, he was old and most probably operating with outdated sensibilities. Listen to how he attempted to refer to Sandusky's victims in this clip (from about 0:50 to 0:55): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXoXdIJQ7I

This, from an article I read back in November, sums it up well, I think:

(Following a description of Paterno's unprecedented coaching longevity and great stamina despite his age, the author writes)… "In truth, age failed him off the field. Paterno failed to grasp the import of what graduate assistant Mike McQueary said to him in March 2002. Paterno, like many in his generation, failed to grasp that society no longer handled such indecencies behind closed doors. Society once referred to the crimes of which Sandusky is accused as unspeakable. Nothing goes unspoken any longer."

TBH, I think you're reading way too much into one statement, Jim. Seriously. McCleary was pontificating, not offering the facts. Perhaps, in an effort to save his own skin. Big difference.

It has been my duty to report on numerous child abuse cases throughout my career...some which would turn your stomach... and each and every time I say, "I wish I could have done more" to stop it.

Depth of feeling does not equal complicity, my friend.

With all due respect and in acknowledgment to the unspeakable crimes against kids at the hands of Sandusky...it is my humble opinion Joe Paterno has been finally and posthumously vindicated.

How? You think Joe Pa couldn't have known/didn't know that something along these lines was going on -- and going on for a good long time, well before he was senile, if in fact he finally was? Further, do you think that Penn State's perniciously isolated, don't mess with anyone or anything that has or has had to do with Joe Pa culture, without which Sandusky could hardly have flourished, was anything but Joe Pa's creation?

Certainly, there were egregeous mistakes made and down right cover ups...but Paterno was not proved to be part of any of that. The court tesimony proves as much, IMHO.

Further, this abuse at the hands of Sandusky had been going on long before the shower incident McCleary reported. The authorities turned a blind eye and with all due respect, I do not see how all this is on Paterno.

Well...at least the creep is officially out of circulation and won't be raping any more little boys. Paterno is dead, but whoever is alive should also be held accountable and promptly be removed from the Penn State program. Protocol for dealing with any future child molesters should be in place on every campus such that the proper authorities are involved from day one.

Agreed.

Well, put Jon.

Edited by GoodSpeak

If Joe Pa was 100% innocent

Why did he get fired from his job of 50/60 years?

Scapegoat, SS1. Happens all the time in sports and in politics. Besides, I never said he was 100% innocent. All I've been saying is to blame Joe Pa for Sandusky's serial child abuse isn't even 1% of the truth.

TBH, there was a reason then: To make Paterno appear to be the guilty one and to keep the focus off the Penn State authorities who should have carried through when McCleary first reported the incident.

The subsequent charges against them and resignations, I think, prove as much.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Why would anyone conveniently transfer his share of his house to his wife "for for a dollar plus “love and affection.”"? There is no real tax advantage in doing so. It does protect however the house from any civil case, which might result for any reason on the other hand.

Who knew what and when they knew it will eventually come out once any criminal case against those others at Penn St., and/or civil cases start..., and there might be some against Paterno...especially with his estate receiving a $13.4 million pension. Penn St. has only recently released documents to Prosecutors, which show they had a file on Sandusky....as well as the emails.

The best that can be said about McQueary and Paterno is that they did the very least possible legally in 2002. After that, it was Pontius Pilate for both of them. Why Sandusky was still allowed on the campus or what happened? They did not care after that to follow-up with a simple question. In Paterno's case that is even worse.

Edited by Blue Train

There's more than enough blame to spread around.

ALL THOSE INVOLVED! They did a regular Catholic Church move, protect the institution at the expense of kids.

That and offer a cancer stricken sacrificial lamb [Paterno] up to the media fenzy.

Paterno transfers his stuff to somebody else because the sue-happy society we live in would go for the money regardless of who is at fault. That still doesn't prove guilt.

This fish stinks from the head down.

Edited by GoodSpeak

In fact, now that I find it....he might have even waited longer than Monday. He doesn't even remember when in the next week he finally told someone. He only remembers doing it within the week. Even being kind and giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his age....and it was Monday. That's around 48 hours afterwards. Yeah, he definitely did everything he could.

http://sportsbybrooks.com/transcript-joe-paterno-grand-jury-testimony-29933

Edited by Blue Train

Saw a comment on the link

If this was Paterno's grandson would he have waited to report until the following week?

I doubt it

Would you want your kid/grandchild having to depend on anyone who thinks 48 hours to a week afterwards is doing everything they can?

Edited by Blue Train

There's more than enough blame to spread around.

It was an EPIC FAIL by all those involved.

ALL THOSE INVOLVED! They did a regular Catholic Church move, protect the institution at the expense of kids.

886.png

Sandusky is the criminal here.

But not the only one, given the eventual likely prosecution and possible conviction of high-level Penn State administrators involved in the coverup of Sandusky's deeds, that coverup (if real and proved in court) of course being a criminal act. And again, while Joe Pa almost certainly didn't mastermind that coverup, the protection and defense of his longstanding hegemony at Penn State was far from incidental to it. Yes -- these things are not yet proved in courts of law, and yes, there is a hue and cry afoot here, but it's hard to see that some hue and cry is not called for.

Sandusky is the criminal here.

But not the only one, given the eventual likely prosecution and possible conviction of high-level Penn State administrators involved in the coverup of Sandusky's deeds, that coverup (if real and proved in court) of course being a criminal act. And again, while Joe Pa almost certainly didn't mastermind that coverup, the protection and defense of his longstanding hegemony at Penn State was far from incidental to it. Yes -- these things are not yet proved in courts of law, and yes, there is a hue and cry afoot here, but it's hard to see that some hue and cry is not called for.

I think once all the fact is separated from the frenzy, it will be enough to exonerate Paterno. But, that will never satisfy the "what if'ers" of the world.

And so it goes...

Once again....would anyone want their kid/grandchild having to depend on anyone who thinks 48 hours to a week afterwards isn't a problem? There isn't a single thing that can exonerate his waiting 2 days to a week to tell anyone what he knew, or the fact he never bothered to follow up in anyway. The reason he gave is nauseating and helped make it impossible to find the victim, which helped make it possible for Sandusky to continue for who knows how many more years.

If he was involved in a cover-up of the first reported incident in 1999 or after 2002 is a different discussion. Only time will tell with that and it will eventually come out one way or another.

Edited by Blue Train

I have gone back and re-read this thread.

All I have to say....can anyone imagine what would have happened to the Apologist (who is somehow a teacher and thus making him legally required to report such things!) for "Saint" Paterno if he did the exact same thing as "Saint" Paterno?

Keeping in mind he doesn't have even .00000000000000001 (I could add in a whole lot more zeros but everyone gets the point) of the power as "Saint" Paterno @ Penn St.

He's informed of a kid being fondled/sodomized, or anything sexual happened between a minor and adult. He proceeds to not do a single damn thing for 2 days to a week and the reason he gives is because he didn't want to ruin anyone's weekend.

That doesn't even get to Pontius Pilate part.

Edited by Blue Train