Andy Rooney has died

i grew up watching 60 Minutes every week when i was a kid and a teenager. i always got a kick out of Rooney's bit and thought the program was great. not so much on either account as i grew older over the last 20 years or so... but kudos to Rooney just the same. RIP.

when i was working in the Borders Bookstore 4-5 years ago in albany, Rooney came into the store. i was luckily working the welcome/info desk at the moment and spotted him immediately. he was in town for some sort of book tour thingie or other. very cool to speak briefly w/ him as he was very pleasant and friendly. after i spoke w/ him and he went on his way about the store i turned in amazement to my fellow co-workers to talk about how cool it was that Rooney was in our store. none of them recognized him or knew who he was. they were all 10-20 years younger than i. it felt odd. in my mind i was thinking to myself, "You don't know who Andy fucking Rooney is?!@#$% What the hell is going on here?" but i guess that's just how it goes...

Edited by thedwork

i grew up watching 60 Minutes every week when i was a kid and a teenager. i always got a kick out of Rooney's bit and thought the program was great. not so much on either account as i grew older over the last 20 years or so... but kudos to Rooney just the same. RIP.

when i was working in the Borders Bookstore 4-5 years ago in albany, Rooney came into the store. i was luckily working the welcome/info desk at the moment and spotted him immediately. he was in town for some sort of book tour thingie or other. very cool to speak briefly w/ him as he was very pleasant and friendly. after i spoke w/ him and he went on his way about the store i turned in amazement to my fellow co-workers to talk about how cool it was that Rooney was in our store. none of them recognized him or knew who he was. they were all 10-20 years younger than i. it felt odd. in my mind i was thinking to myself, "You don't know who Andy fucking Rooney is?!@#$% What the hell is going on here?" but i guess that's just how it goes...

I think people born beyond a certain time, 1975 say, simply never watched "60 Minutes." (I used to have a similar reaction when I bumped into people who claim to never have seen a black & white movie. Old movies used to be shown on free-TV all the time, but at a certain point, in the 80's I think, that just stopped.)

I think people born beyond a certain time, 1975 say, simply never watched "60 Minutes." (I used to have a similar reaction when I bumped into people who claim to never have seen a black & white movie. Old movies used to be shown on free-TV all the time, but at a certain point, in the 80's I think, that just stopped.)

The little I know about 60 minutes was their promos during NFL games on CBS . By the way born in 1970, never connected with this show.

The writing has been on the wall for a little while now. About a year ago he stopped appearing regularly, only showing up about once a month. Now I wonder if perhaps he had a terminal illness, and knew that his time was coming.

I always enjoyed his commentaries, and it goes without saying that a lot of us will miss him.

One of my favorite Andy Rooney commentaries was about exaggerated statements in advertising. One of his examples was how, for years, 60 minutes started the show with "those stories and more, next on 60 Minutes". He said, "what do they mean by 'more'....me?" From then on, whenever Andy Rooney was on the show, the introduction was "those stories and Andy Rooney, next on 60 minutes".