Johnny O' Neal

fasstrack

Hadn't heard him in over 25 years. Last time was when he blew into the Jazz Cultural Theater. I remember we jammed that night around '85 b/c it was a jam session night and I was in the house band. Johnny sounded great, but back then he was more player than listener. I remember yielding to him and laying out b/c there was no room for a guitar. But did he play 'beaucoup piano' Sometimes you just step aside and let a MF have his night. And O 'Neal was out to show the world what they were missing. He was on fire! He ended around 7 AM singing Soldiers for the Lord-rhythm section collapsing, looking like they had taken a shvitz! Owner Barry Harris and Monty Alexander-also passing through-were standing in back. Monty said 'what are we gonna do with him?' Barry replied 'Tie him down'. So to last night. Smalls. it's Johnny O'Neal! An old-school entertainer! Still plays a gang of piano. But he spelled himself, singing in a winsome baritone. And he warmed the crowd up, owned'em from the 1st tune. 'That's Entertainment!'

Edited by fasstrack

I first heard him with Art Blakey and then Milt Jackson.

I've heard him a few times recently with his own trio and then in a duo with Mulgrew Milller.

Very good pianist and a a fine entertainer, although I wish he would play more and sing a little less.

I know he's living in NYC now.

I first heard him with Art Blakey and then Milt Jackson.
I've heard him a few times recently with his own trio and then in a duo with Mulgrew Milller.
Very good pianist and a a fine entertainer, although I wish he would play more and sing a little less.

I know he's living in NYC now.

Singing by musicians is controversial w/fans. But many of us wish we could sing. I myself am certainly in that category-being into song, songwriting, the ASB. It breaks it up and is charming when we sing IMO.And Johnny has a real talent and smooth voice. He sang When October Goes (Manilow-yes THAT Manilow/Mercer). No one could touch Nancy Lamott's version IMO, but he held his own-and the crowd, including me. Edited by fasstrack