20 years ago yesterday miles left us

alocispepraluger102

I remember exactly where I was. I was jamming with some friends when someone came into the basement and yelled "GUYS, MILES JUST DIED." We all paused for moment, and the bass player started to play the bass riff to "So What." We went on and jammed on that tune for over 2 hours. Yeah he left this world but his music was still here and always will be.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I remember learning of his death the following morning reading USA Today.

This came as a surprise to me because as I recall it was about a month after his stroke. My understanding of strokes was and is that you either die promptly or linger for many months.

i don't believe he died from a stroke.

As you can understand from my avatar, Miles Davis has always been on of my favorite artist. To be more accurate I'll tell you that my love affair with the jazz music has started after listening to Miles & Gil Evans playing Porgy & Bess.

Betsy, you should have been at the Monterey Jazz Festival. an incredible orchestra played Gil's original charts of Porgy and other Miles music. it was simply gorgeous!