LF: Kenny Clarke-Ernie Wilkins Septet, Savoy CD

J.A.W.

Glad we got a deal.

It seems there are two basic preferences for reissues:

1 - faithful LP reproduction, i.e. same tracks, palying order, liner notes etc. - the facsimile approach

2 - add bonus material, eventually re-arrange in session order - the completist approach

I'm a fan of the latter, but to each his own.

p.s. but I think reproducing errors from original liners without a correctional note takes it a bit too far.

Edited by mikeweil

Okay. I can enjoy both approaches. I think the non-correction thing isn't that big a deal in this instance, and especially as these were designed to be "as they were" reissues. I've tried not to sweat the small stuff.

Hans, threads drift, evolve, I don't see any harm in that. Glad it served your purpose.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I got the Proper Box but I'm not really happy with it - the sound is slightly better on the Denon discs, a bit more detail in the treble range, and there is so much duplication with other CDs I have ... I still wish there would be better and more complete reissues of the 1950s Savoy material.

Edited by mikeweil

To stir the pot... why would you want errors reproduced on what is NEWLY made CD art? The whole yellow-on-violet art (where all these line-up errors and oddities are to be found) was never on the LPs. Do facsimile even of what was never originally there doesn't seem to make too much sense.