LF: Kenny Clarke-Ernie Wilkins Septet, Savoy CD

J.A.W.

I beg to differ, I enjoy the sound of many Savoy recordings. RVG recorded them a bit differently, but there are many with great sound. Just my opinion of course. I love the way the horns czn have a huge, almost supernatural sound and image on some of the Savoy stereo sides (for example some of the Hardin-Coltrane and the Curtis fuller session with Lateef.) I find the Denon cd series of Savoy titles to be very good sounding.

Edited by jazzbo

Well, the horn sound on the Savoys is fine indeed, but the drums are too much in the background, bass drums are inaudible in most cases, the string bass sounds rather muddy without really capturing the individual sounds.

But the most important point is that the music is excellent!

75888.jpg

If you compare the thin sound RVG got from Klook's drum set on this Savoy album or the Prestige sessions with Miles with that on Julius Watkins' first Blue Nite session, you will hear what I am talking about.

I find the Denon cd series of Savoy titles to be very good sounding.

That would be this series (the one with the violet-blue back leaflet with the track listing)? Marked "Nippon Columbia" in my case, though.

18.202.jpg

Edit to confirm that apparently it is (as Mikeweil's post just beat me to it). Too bad we did not jump on these earlier to pass them on later as this series seems to be in demand ... about 10 years ago a lot of these were available cheaply at the "2001" shops here.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Well, the balance between r-section and front line is certainly different on these in comparison to the Prestige, BN, etc. But that seems to be a producer's choice. . . or may be. Anyway to say they are inaudible, muddy etc. . . NOT on my system. That's all I can say. I hear the balance difference, but the recorded quality seems to come out just fine on my system.

I agree the music is great.

Anyway, sorry Hans, didn't mean to steer the thread elsewhere really. Hope someone comes through for you. Unfortunately I only have one copy and won't part with it.

Edited by jazzbo

I find the Denon cd series of Savoy titles to be very good sounding.

That would be this series (the one with the violet-blue back leaflet with the track listing)? Marked "Nippon Columbia" in my case, though.

18.202.jpg

Edit to confirm that apparently it is (as Mikeweil's post just beat me to it). Too bad we did not jump on these earlier to pass them on later as this series seems to be in demand ... about 10 years ago a lot of these were available cheaply at the "2001" shops here.

Steve, Nippon-Colubmia and Denon are/were the same company or closely affiliated; the cds were released by Denon in Japan and the US before the more recent WEA series of cds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_Columbia

I collected these as they came out in the US in the nineties as well as buying some of the Japanese imports that did not see US release. I have nearly all released, having passed over some of the gospel and blues ones. One of the best reissues series on cd ever, imo.

Edited by jazzbo

One of the best reissues series on cd ever, imo.

These CDs faithfully reproduced the sound of the master tapes, in this respect this was one of the best series. But OTOH they didn't care to consult the Savoy discography, thus failed to add bonus material or correct discographical errors. Some of these play for less than 35 minutes - two LPs on one CD would have been appropriate in most cases. Well .... each to his own.

Edited by mikeweil

One of the best reissues series on cd ever, imo.

These CDs faithfully reproduced the sound of the master tapes, in this respect this was one of the best series. But OTOH they didn't care to consult the Savoy discography, thus failed to add bonus material or correct discographical errors. Some of these play for less than 35 minutes - two LPs on one CD would have been appropriate in most cases. Well .... each to his own.

It was a Japanese series, and alternate takes* and "two-fers" were just not part of what they wanted to do. They had the lp artwork well reproduced, they had some of the best digital jazz sound, and they weren't fabulously expensive. They're tops in my book. I'd welcome another series like them done this well.

I think it's really silly to think they didn't consult discographies.

*And really as time goes by I'm less and less interested in having every second of most material.

Edited by jazzbo

Fresh Sound Records (Jazz Track label) CD titled "Telefunken Blues" has the complete Clarke-Wilkins Savoy session. Following is quote from their website:

"This release contains legendary drummer Kenny Clarke’s complete album “Telefunken Blues” as well as his subsequent LP “The Kenny Clarke & Ernie Wilkins Septet” which is coupled here as a bonus. Includes comprehensive 12-page booklet."

Fresh Sound Records (Jazz Track label) CD titled "Telefunken Blues" has the complete Clarke-Wilkins Savoy session. Following is quote from their website:

"This release contains legendary drummer Kenny Clarke’s complete album “Telefunken Blues” as well as his subsequent LP “The Kenny Clarke & Ernie Wilkins Septet” which is coupled here as a bonus. Includes comprehensive 12-page booklet."

Thanks. I know the Fresh Sound release has the complete Clarke-Wilkins date, but I already have Telefunken Blues on a Savoy CD and the Fresh Sound CD is relatively expensive, even in Europe, and I want to avoid Fresh Sound releases as much as possible :)

Edited by J.A.W.

The reissues of the original LPs are great. The reissues of the Arista compilations, not so much. The Don Byas Savoy Jam Party disc omits something like 10 tracks. In that case just do a double CD fer crissakes.

I know, I didn't quite get that, though I'm happy for some of those such as the Modern Piano one, as they bring to cd light some long unseen alternates.

It would have been otherworldly if they would have combined the best of two worlds ... e:G: there was a vocal track by Milt Jackson recorded at the California session for Telefunken Blues - they could have added that to complete the session. The piano (Eddie Costa or Oscar Dennard) credits on the A.K. Salim "Blues Suite" were copied from the original LP liner and are wrong, Dennard isn't mentioned, and Costa plays piano, not vibes - they would have known if they had consulted Bob Porter's Savoy discography. The Arista LPs were discographically accurate, at least. Denon was not consistent, btw, as they went on to do CD issues of some of the Arista reissues ... furthermore, some musically great titles never were on CD. Savoy is a label that still has to be done right, reissue-wise, IMHO.

Well, I certainly respect your opinion. As I see it the whole point of the series as far as the compilers were concerned was to reproduce the lps as they were released. They did a fantastic job of that, and I think in fact that they purposely reproduced mistakes as they were on liner notes. This was I believe what they felt their market (Japanese only at the start of the series) wanted. I confess I love the way they did the Parker and Young lps on cd. It's a fascinating way to listen to the material. And I really like hearing the Cannonball and Fuller and Harden/Coltrane etc. releases the way they were done rather than say the two cd reissues later done in the US. That's just me I guess. I'm all for someone doing a more comprehensive reissue series of Savoy, but I loved the hell out of that one. I move more and more away from being obsessed about completeness and am happier for it. . . this series is a good example, to and for me, of why I can be happy without everything.