Bluegrass musician Wade Mainer has died

J.A.W.

Today would have been Bill Monroe's 100th birthday. He passed in 1996. Lots of tributes to him this week on bluegrass radio in DC. Really a giant of American music, especially bluegrass gospel. Quite a songwriter. I put him up near the top in country music! Don't know why he wasn't one of the first, 1961 inductees in the country music Hall of Fame along with Jimmie Rodgers, Fred Rose, and Hank Williams. (inducted in 1970)

Really enjoyed Wade Mainer with the Morris Brothers. I have a CD he did with his wife Julia that is from his later days but still enjoyable!

Edited by Neal Pomea

Today would have been Bill Monroe's 100th birthday. He passed in 1996. Lots of tributes to him this week on bluegrass radio in DC. Really a giant of American music, especially bluegrass gospel. Quite a songwriter. I put him up near the top in country music! Don't know why he wasn't one of the first, 1961 inductees in the country music Hall of Fame along with Jimmie Rodgers, Fred Rose, and Hank Williams. (inducted in 1970)

Really enjoyed Wade Mainer with the Morris Brothers. I have a CD he did with his wife Julia that is from his later days but still enjoyable!

is the bluegrass station in dc still kicking? i gave it up for dead 5+ years ago.

When I was in Arkansas in the summer of 1962 with a friend who was signing up artists for that winter's U. of Chicago Folk Festival, I met a fiddler, a friend of singer Almeda Riddle:

http://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=609

who was over 100. Don't recall his name, but he said that his grandfather when in his early teens had fought at the Battle of New Orleans at the end of the War of 1812. I worked this out, and saw that this was quite possible. So I shook the hand of a man who shook the hand of a man who fought at the Battle of New Orleans.