Bunk Johnson Question

AllenLowe

there are versions I have heard of Bunk's recordings of Snag It and Franklin Street Blues. It was my impression that there is a Snag it that came out as a Decca (I may be wrong); the discographies I have seen on line are confusing because, though they indicate more than one release, they do not indicate if they are separate versions/sessions.

does anyone know how many versions there are of those 2 tunes, and if there are more than one, can you match them with contemporary CD availability?

thanks

there are versions I have heard of Bunk's recordings of Snag It and Franklin Street Blues. It was my impression that there is a Snag it that came out as a Decca (I may be wrong); the discographies I have seen on line are confusing because, though they indicate more than one release, they do not indicate if they are separate versions/sessions.

does anyone know how many versions there are of those 2 tunes, and if there are more than one, can you match them with contemporary CD availability?

thanks

"Snag It" was recorded for RCA Victor, not Decca. I have a Document CD (The Complete Deccas, Victors and V Discs) that has two takes of "Snag It" (plus a live version issued on V-Disc) and one take of "Franklin Street Blues." Here's a link to a later version of my Document CD.

Bunk also recorded "Snag It" for American Music - one take is on Bunk Johnson 1944/45. See the Jazzology website. Many of his blues in the key of C that he made for AM turned into "Franklin Street," although I don't think any of them are actually called that.

thanks

Bunk Recorded Snag it

May 14, 1945 George Lewis' Home American Music CD12

December 6, 1945 for Victor Document CD 1001

January 6, 1946 V-disc also Document CD 1001

Franklin Street Blues (aka Blues in C)

October 2,1942 Document CD 1010

May 7, 1943 San Francisco American Music CD16

August 4, 1944 American Music CD12

December 19, 1945 Victor Document CD 1001

This is all from the Tom Lord Disco