Cannonball's "Somethin' Else

Hardbopjazz

I never bothered to get the RVG remaster of this session. But I noticed today that the 6th track on the remaster is different than what I have on my CD.

My copy has Alison's Uncle as the 6th track, while the RVG has Bangoon as the 6th track. Now I will have to get the RVG so I can have this track. Anyone know why the switch?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I never bothered to get the RVG remaster of this session. But I noticed today that the 6th track on the remaster is different than what I have on my CD.

My copy has Alison's Uncle as the 6th track, while the RVG has Bangoon as the 6th track. Now I will have to get the RVG so I can have this track. Anyone know why the switch?

I believe thay are the same track. When the track was discovered in the vaults, no one knew the title, so they dubbed it "Alison's Uncle". Alison is Nat's daugher, and Cannonball would have been her uncle. Later it was discovered that the real title of the track is "Bangoon".

Could this be the answer?

CD reissues include a bonus track, variously titled "Bangoon" or (originally, and incorrectly) "Alison's Uncle". That song is a Hank Jones composition, more hard bop in orientation than the rest of the record. It features a paradigmatic solo by Blakey (he can be heard humming along during the solo). The title under which the song was originally released, "Alison's Uncle", refers to the fact that the session took place shortly after the wife of Adderley's brother Nat had given birth to a daughter named Alison - thus making Cannonball Adderley "Alison's Uncle".

From Wikipedia

F

I never understood why they didn't ask Hank what the tune was.

A logical question, to be sure. My recollection is that the track was first issued in the early 1980's as a bonus 12" single in Japan, and that's when it was titled. When the session was issued on CD a few years later, the track was added, and nobody thought to investigate.

The whole Alison's Uncle thing was Nat trying for the composer royalties on this tune.

I know it was common practice in the 30s and 40s for the band leader to get writing credits when they had nothing to do with the composing of a song, 'Round Midnight is one such case. Wouldn't Hank Jones have copy-written the tune? I wonder how Nat thought he could get away with this.

The whole Alison's Uncle thing was Nat trying for the composer royalties on this tune.

I know it was common practice in the 30s and 40s for the band leader to get writing credits when they had nothing to do with the composing of a song, 'Round Midnight is one such case. Wouldn't Hank Jones have copy-written the tune? I wonder how Nat thought he could get away with this.

Nat would not have known Hank wrote the tune - he was just laying claim to an "unknown".