The Loaded Gun List

Inspired from an exchange in another thread, I think it would be revealing for posters here to do the following exercise:

You are sitting in your living room with your best friend in the entire world. A large man breaks in your front door, marches into your living room, pulls out a gun, and then asks the following question:

"If you could only save all the recordings of ONE artist in your jazz collection, which artist would you save?"

Taken aback by the shocking crudity of this question, you say, "Of course, that is an impossible question. I could no sooner choose one artist's recordings over another than I could choose one child over..."

Before you are able to get out another word, the man walks over to your best friend, puts the gun to his head, and pulls the trigger. Your friend's brains are splattered all over your carpet, all over your couch, all over the walls.

Now he puts the gun to YOUR head. "Which artist?" he shouts. As you shake with fear and struggle to maintain control over your bodily functions, you give your answer.

What is your answer? If you could only save all the recordings of one artist in your collection, with all your other recordings being taken away from you forever, which body of work would you save first?

I would save the following artists, in the order listed:

1. Miles Davis

2. Sun Ra

3. John Coltrane

4. Ornette Coleman

5. Cecil Taylor

6. Charlie Parker

7. Steve Lacy

8. Thelonious Monk

9. Anthony Braxton

10. Pharoah Sanders

If he denied me any of those ten, I'd tell him to just go ahead and pull the trigger.