Woody Shaw's deep roots

fasstrack

I've been an admirer since the '70s. Woody was out on the edge from the beginning, (along with others like McCoy Tyner) getting into areas of harmony used more in 20th century 'classical', playing saxophone-influenced trumpet and intervals and scales other trumpet players didn't, keeping up with Dolphy as a very young player, composing meaningful pieces----etc. He was a voice and a strong one.

But he also never forgot to look back. His grounding in what and who came before is evident in this clip of Stormy Weather (undated and no info on page, but I'll look into it). He holds back his own harmonic approach---very developed by then---to bring a performance steeped in blues and bebop harmony, even swing-era phrases. Maybe one or two bars he goes up a half-step from the tonic, and that's about as 'out' as he takes it. Sound to die for, and a solo much more about simple and logical melodic development, swing, and blues than harmony.

Enough analysis, just enjoy it!:

Also check out what he did with Bye Bye Blackbird, bowing to Miles' version playing with Harmon mute, and again reining in his harmony in tribute, perhaps. (I'll post the link shortly).

(Edited for fact-checking).

Edited by fasstrack

Woody was a great musician. Woody was a friend/acquaintance. Woody was a great trumpet player. Woody was not "out on the edge from the beginning". I love Woody.

He was out on the edge in the sense that from his earliest recordings (mid '60s in his earliest 20s) he pulled away from his heroes (mostly Freddie Hubbard, but Lee Morgan too) and took it somewhere else harmonically. Freddie and Lee were both a bit more diatonic. Freddie was a virtouoso and also got things from sax players, especially Trane. But his harmony was still basically pretty 'in' and diatonic. Woody took it a little further for me. He was getting ideas like wider intervals, outside pentatonics, 4ths, certain sequences, from guys like Dolphy who he hung with, Trane, who he admired, and composers like Berg, Bartok, and Kodaly. What he and McCoy, Dolphy, and others were into harmonically was old news in classical music but pretty new to jazz. McCoy was a leader in that direction. But a young trumpet player picking up on that had to have vision, and he added his own things. Unity, from ’65, was definitely a departure, and Woody was pretty damn young on that. It shows where everyone involved were heading: more open chordal structures where they could be more chromatic, go in and out with pentatonics, use Spanish-sounding scales. The Moontrane was a good recap of what he was doing around then. All pretty fresh in mainstream playing around '65. But Unity was also very much in the tradition, my point about Woody. Visionary from early in the game but also grounded and a student of the past.

What the hell, they're all great players. Jazz is way better for Freddie, Lee, Woody having passed through. But just to clarify...

I particularly enjoy Little Red's Fantasy, The Moontrane, and Rosewood.

I forgot to mention Eric Dolphy's Iron Man as an example of young Woody already stretching while learning.

Eric himself is too much! You can see how Woody got interested in intervals as a tool between Dolphy and Trane.

For the more mature period I like Woody III (Columbia). Nice writing and ensembles. Also I really recommend the short-lived Concert Ensemble. They recorded a few times. I used to play Woody's tunes and I think my favorite is Katrina Ballerina. I'm gonna pull that one out again. It's really lyrical and IMO had the best qualities of the kind of tunes guys like Woody and Joe Hen were writing in the '70s.

I think that Woody Shaw combined the pure excitement of Lee Morgan with the fat tone of Freddie Hubbard. I only have dates with him as a sideman, though, which is a major oversight considering how much I enjoy his playing.

He had those things for sure, and those were his two main main on trumpet. But the harmonic aspects of his playing, which came from other sources but weren't being done on trumpet, these were his big contribution to me, right along with that passion and excitement. Emotion is everything, but can't be analyzed (fortunately) like notes, chords, etc.

Also I really recommend the short-lived Concert Ensemble.

The group recorded live in Berlin in 1976 iirc (Berliner Jazztage) is perhaps my very favorite Woody leader-date. Top-drawer arranging, soloing, everything. Shame it's such a pain to find these days (OOP and pricy used), as I think it's perhaps the perfect intro to Woody for the uninitiated.

For late period Woody in very good form and with the added bonus of Joe Henderson also in the front line, Neil Swainson's '49th Parallel' on Concord, recorded in Toronto, is hard to beat. Nicely recorded too.

Thanks for the recommendation, sidewinder. I've just ordered a copy from Amazon.

For late period Woody in very good form and with the added bonus of Joe Henderson also in the front line, Neil Swainson's '49th Parallel' on Concord, recorded in Toronto, is hard to beat. Nicely recorded too.

Thanks for the recommendation, sidewinder. I've just ordered a copy from Amazon.

Splendid - I'm sure that you'll both enjoy it. Ridiculous that it is so obscure !

What's the record on Milestone under Joe Hen's name where the last track is he and Woody playing Invitation live in S.F. (I think)? George Cables is on the live track. It's either Power to The People or Black Narcissus. The cover had Joe posing with, I think, a black Airedale (sp?). Unless I dreamt it :rolleyes:....

What's the record on Milestone under Joe Hen's name where the last track is he and Woody playing Invitation live in S.F. (I think)? George Cables is on the live track. It's either Power to The People or Black Narcissus. The cover had Joe posing with, I think, a black Airedale (sp?). Unless I dreamt it :rolleyes:....

Are you thinking of Henderson's "In Pursuit of Blackness"? Woody plays on 2 tracks.

379934.jpg

Are you thinking of Henderson's "In Pursuit of Blackness"? Woody plays on 2 tracks.

379934.jpg

If one is Invitation I guess I am. I'll look it up. Thanks.

379934.jpg

If one is Invitation I guess I am. I'll look it up. Thanks.

Just googled it. That's the one. Used to own it, too. Now what the hell was the one with Joe and the black pooch on front cover? Black Narcissus, I think. What can I tell you? Age-triggered CRS...

Edited by fasstrack