Hip-O to release 1951-1960 Howlin' Wolf Chess 4CD-box

It's quite a nice set. I think the sound is very good, right along the lines of the muddy Waters two disc sets, the first from Chess (Universal) the second from Hip-O Select.

That doesn't sound good to me. As I mentioned earlier I don't like the sound on the Muddy Waters sets; to my ears it's too pumped-up and loud, it gives me headaches. Turning the volume down doesn't help, it still doesn't sound good to me.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, it doesn't sound good to you. Sounds good to me, and I've read favorable reviews elsewhere. I feel sad that you don't get to enjoy so many new releases. If that were my situation, I'd look into some system changes. . . . But I understand, you have a great system that makes older cds sound great. . . and it's not easy to afford changes. I just know that the changes I've made to my system over the last few years have really helped me to enjoy the sound of new releases.

Edited by jazzbo

If you have the Chess Box, do you need the Hip-O? Not criticizing, just askin'

They're apples and oragnges actually. One is an overview collection, the other is part one of a series of chronologically complete recordings. I think you have an idea if you want to "have it all" or not. . . .

Okay, it doesn't sound good to you. Sounds good to me, and I've read favorable reviews elsewhere. I feel sad that you don't get to enjoy so many new releases. If that were my situation, I'd look into some system changes. . . . But I understand, you have a great system that makes older cds sound great. . . and it's not easy to afford changes. I just know that the changes I've made to my system over the last few years have really helped me to enjoy the sound of new releases.

So you keep saying.

A few years ago you told me you adapted your system in such a way that it softens the effects of boosted remasters such as RVGs (it tones down boosted highs etc.) I chose another route, as I prefer to listen to CDs as they are (some are excellent, some are OK, and some are bad or even awful.) Perhaps you could respect that and not criticize someone else's system. I could do without your patronizing advice. I almost never agree with your sonic preferences, but I never criticize your taste and your system and whatever you did with it.

just to add, if you know what you are buying, most of this stuff is out on various releases in excellent sound, including plenty of Sun/Memphis stuff (Varese Sarabande did 2 or 3 excellent Sun blues CDs, and a lot of the old Charly stuff, as I mentioned prior, is superb sounding).

Edited by AllenLowe

Sorry Hans, I wasn't criticizing your system and am sorry you take it that way. My advice is no more patronizing than your advice has been in my estimation. (And to be honest I question your use of "never" above). Anyway, I genuinely meant that I felt sad that your choices of new releases are so limited. Have a great weekend.

Edited by jazzbo

Sorry Hans, I wasn't criticizing your system and am sorry you take it that way. My advice is no more patronizing than your advice has been in my estimation. (And to be honest I question your use of "never" above). Anyway, I genuinely meant that I felt sad that your choices of new releases are so limited. Have a great weekend.

I have posted on occasion that I don't agree with your sonic assessments, but I maintain that I never criticize your taste, equipment, etc.

Whatever Hans. I feel that suggesting that adding a bit of sonic flexibility to your system might well help you enjoy newer releases is not attacking you or your system. Certainly weren't meant to be.

I'll just steer clear of your sensitivity when possible.

Edit: 11/26.

(Not meaning to at all challenge or criticize Hans in this addendum. I'd just like to outline how I am able to use the flexibility of my system.)

With my DAC I can select to use NO over-sampling on incoming material, or select a sampling rate of 44.1, 48, 96, 192. I also can choose one of five digital filters:

--Minimum phase apodizing

--Minimum phase soft knee

--Linear phase apodizing

--Liner phase soft knee

--Minimum phase recursive half band symmetrical

Each of the sampling rates have a subtle effect on the sound. Each of the digital filters has a subtle effect on the sound. I seem to always prefer to just use the sampling rate that the incoming material is recorded/authored/whatever with, and there's a "Native" function that just automatically selects that. The digital filters do seem to make tiny changes in frequency balance which helps adjust to the mastering of the digital recordings.

The DAC is also a preamp and I can adjust the output voltage to just over 5V.

My amplifier has a bias selector that allows me a rather neutral bias power on my output tubes and also I can choose a "hotter/warmer" setting. This changes the character of the incoming signal noticeably. I also can choose between a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm setting on the speaker output, and as my speakers are nominally 6 ohms it's very interesting that there are two distinct signatures to the sound using one setting or the other. I also can change input tubes between 6N1P, 6922, 7308, and 6DJ8, output tubes between EL34, 6CA7, KT88, or 6550, and there are three voltage regulation stages to this amp and by changing from 5YG4, 5UG4, 5AR4, and a few other tube types in one stage I can alter the sound, by changing from OA3, OB3,OC3 or OD3 tubes in another stage I can alter the sound, etc.

I also at times have a preamplifier in the chain that I can use either 6N1P, 6N2P, 6922, 7308, or 6DJ8 tubes within, and which has adjustable input and output gain for each channel from 0V to 5V. This really helps to tailor the sound as well. I find that adjusting the gain from the DAC and/or the preamp and the incoming gain on the amplifier (which has its own gain stage with volume control) I can add dynamics to flatter recordings, thicken or thin the sound so to speak, influence the frequency balance. . . . "Riding the gain" as my favorite audio builder terms it is another useful flexible element.

I've found especially over the last year that I don't feel a slave to the mastering on a disc, and can fiddle about through these tube type and brand choices, settings et al to find a comfortable, musical presentation to allow me to relax into the listening. Gives me more options of recordings to buy, less limitations.

Thanks for bearing with me, just wanted to explain a bit.

Edited by jazzbo

The new Howlin' Wolf Box is superb (IMO). It is a great improvement over previous issues of his Chess output.

For those who don't have it, don't neglect to pick up the Modern recordings of Howlin' Wolf made by Ike Turner, which have been released on numerous one disc compilations, most notably as a reissue of "Howlin' Wolf Sings" plus bonus tracks. No duplication with this box.

It is a shame that they didn't include some of the tracks that Howlin' Wolf recorded for Sam Phillips at Sun at the time, but somehow never made it to the Chess archives, particularly the incredible "My Baby Walked Off" and "My Troubles and Me." I hope that the fact that they were left off of this box doesn't mean that they will disappear forever for future listeners.

Edited by John L

The new Howlin' Wolf Box is superb (IMO). It is a great improvement over previous issues of his Chess output.

For those who don't have it, don't neglect to pick up the Modern recordings of Howlin' Wolf made by Ike Turner, which have been released on numerous one disc compilations, most notably as a reissue of "Howlin' Wolf Sings" plus bonus tracks. No duplication with this box.

It is a shame that they didn't include some of the tracks that Howlin' Wolf recorded for Sam Phillips at Sun at the time, but somehow never made it to the Chess archives, particularly the incredible "My Baby Walked Off" and "My Troubles and Me." I hope that the fact that they were left off of this box doesn't mean that they will disappear forever for future listeners.

Available on Bear Family. Plus, there's a

Volume 2.

just as an aside, and I can't cite the tune right now (though I think it was on an old Rounder reissue of some Sun recordings) there does exist a Howlin' Wolf recording on which the piano intro (and the pianist is unidentified) is straight out of the bebop era; I've always guessed that it is probably Phineas Newborn. It's a real shocker. I played it once at a Rutgers talk and people were amazed.

It's quite a nice set. I think the sound is very good, right along the lines of the muddy Waters two disc sets, the first from Chess (Universal) the second from Hip-O Select.

That doesn't sound good to me. As I mentioned earlier I don't like the sound on the Muddy Waters sets; to my ears it's too pumped-up and loud, it gives me headaches. Turning the volume down doesn't help, it still doesn't sound good to me.

To explain further: to my ears the sound on those Muddy Waters sets is "right and in-your-face but lacking warmth and atmosphere", to use the apt description in this thread. Many "modern" remasters sound like that.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...

Really glad the Howlin' Wolf Hip-O Select is out. I hope a second volume is available soon.

Looking at the track list for the new boxset I see that "You'll be Mine" is missing. This is one of my favourite songs by him so that's a bit disappointing. Presumably it was released after 1960 and will be on a Volume 2 if that ever comes out. Does anyone know when it was first released?

Looking at the track list for the new boxset I see that "You'll be Mine" is missing. This is one of my favourite songs by him so that's a bit disappointing. Presumably it was released after 1960 and will be on a Volume 2 if that ever comes out. Does anyone know when it was first released?

"You'll Be Mine" is indeed post-1960. It was recorded in December 1961 and first released on Chess single 1813.

Edited by J.A.W.

"You'll Be Mine" is indeed post-1960. It was recorded in December 1961 and first released on Chess single 1813.

Thanks, Hans. I guess I'll have to get Volume 2 as well...if it ever appears, of course!