The Complete One Night With Blue Note Preserved

Hardbopjazz

I have the DVD and CD combo of this. Is there another iteration of this? I was talking to someone that told me there is a 4 CD issue of this concert. I've never seen that. What I have is this. Blue Note concert.

Is there a 4 CD release of this concert? If so I need to find somewhere where it is being sold.

Here is what a friend has. I've never seen this, only the DVD or DVD/CD release.

"Town Hall", NYC, February 22, 1985

Disc one

All Star Jazz Messengers

Freddie Hubbard (tp -4,5) Curtis Fuller (tb -4,5)

Johnny Griffin (ts -4,5) Walter Davis Jr. (p) Reggie Workman (b) Art Blakey (d)

1. Note From Dexter Gordon read by Hancock

2. Criss Cross

3. Bud's Bubble

4. I Got Rhythm

5. Moanin'

6. It's Only a Paper Moon

Stanley Jordan (g)

7. Intro Of Stanley Jordan

8. Touch of Blue

9. When You Wish Upon A Star

10. Jumpin' Jack

Bobby Hutcherson Quartet

James Newton (fl -1,2) Bobby Hutcherson (vib)

Herbie Hancock (p -2,3) Ron Carter (b) Tony Williams (d -1,2)

11. Intro of bobby Hutcherson

12. Hat and Beard

13. Little B's Poem

disc two

Bobby Hutcherson Quartet (cont.)

James Newton (fl -1,2) Bobby Hutcherson (vib)

Herbie Hancock (p -2,3) Ron Carter (b) Tony Williams (d -1,2)

1. Bouquet

Herbie Hancock Sextet

Freddie Hubbard (tp) Joe Henderson (ts)

Bobby Hutcherson (vib -2) Herbie Hancock (p) Ron Carter (b) Tony Williams (d)

2. Cantaloupe Island

3. Recorda Me

4. Maiden Voyage (incomplete)

5. Maiden Voyage (incomplete)

Charles Lloyd Quartet

Charles Lloyd (ts, fl) Michel Petrucciani (p)

Cecil McBee (b) Jack DeJohnette (d)

6. Intro to Charles Lloyd

7. The Blessing

8. Tone Poem

9. Lady Day

10. El Encanto

11. How Long

Disc Three

Bennie Wallace Trio

Bennie Wallace (ts) Cecil McBee (b) Jack DeJohnette (d)

1. Broadside

McCoy Tyner (p)

2. Sweet and Lovely

McCoy Tyner - Jackie McLean Quintet

Woody Shaw (tp) Jackie McLean (as)

McCoy Tyner (p) Cecil McBee (b) Jack DeJohnette (d)

3. Appointment in Ghana

4. Passion Dance

5. Blues on the Corner

Cecil Taylor (p)

6. Pontos Cantados: Point1/Klook at the Top of the Staivs / Point2/Question

Disc Four

Kenny Burrell Quartet

Grover Washington Jr. (ts, ss) Kenny Burrell (g)

Reggie Workman (b) Grady Tate (d)

1. Nica's Dream unissued

2. I'm Glad There Is You

3. Summertime

Jimmy Smith - Lou Donaldson Quartet

Lou Donaldson (as) Jimmy Smith (org)

Kenny Burrell (g) Grady Tate (d)

4. Blues Walk

5. Gettin' Sentimental Over You

Jimmy Smith - Stanley Turrentine Quartet

Stanley Turrentine (ts)

Jimmy Smith (org) Kenny Burrell (g) Grady Tate (d)

6. The Jumpin' Blues

7. A Child Is Born

8. Just Squeeze Me

9. Scratch My Back

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Yes, there is a 4 cassette tape and a 4 CD incarnation. At one point I had 2 or 3 of the cassettes. I did track down all 4 CDs used (as they are OOP). Looks like they are all available at Amazon for prices ranging from $5-20 for each volume.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Bluenote-Vol-1/dp/B000008AED/ref=pd_sim_m_2

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Bluenote-Vol-2/dp/B000008AEE/ref=pd_sim_m_1

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Bluenote-Vol-3/dp/B000008AEF/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312855264&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Blue-Note-Vol/dp/B005237UD0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312855300&sr=1-2

Yes, there is a 4 cassette tape and a 4 CD incarnation. At one point I had 2 or 3 of the cassettes. I did track down all 4 CDs used (as they are OOP). Looks like they are all available at Amazon for prices ranging from $5-20 for each volume.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Bluenote-Vol-1/dp/B000008AED/ref=pd_sim_m_2

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Bluenote-Vol-2/dp/B000008AEE/ref=pd_sim_m_1

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Bluenote-Vol-3/dp/B000008AEF/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312855264&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Blue-Note-Vol/dp/B005237UD0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312855300&sr=1-2

Thanks. I check Amazon and didn't come across this.

There was also a 4LP box set. More material on the CDs, though, right?

I think that the CDs duplicated the LPs exactly - no extra tracks. Someone will correct me if my memory is incorrect.

I bought the first two CDs back in the day, and the third one years later - I like them a lot. (Cecil!) For whatever reason, I never bothered to get Volume 4 - something tells me I would seldom or never listen to it.

I bought the first two CDs back in the day, and the third one years later - I like them a lot. (Cecil!) For whatever reason, I never bothered to get Volume 4 - something tells me I would seldom or never listen to it.

Same here, except I got the music when it first came out (on vinyl). Bought the first three LPs and skipped the fourth one!

Edited by brownie

There was a little "tree" with this going on here, a while ago... but in the meantime I snatched the four LPs - single LPs, no box or anything, but I got them all together in very good (mint or whatever them vnylists call it) shape for a good price. Haven't really played them all yet, though...

Same here, except I got the music when it first came out (on vinyl). Bought the first three LPs and skipped the fourth one!

This seems to be the general consensus (that CD4 isn't that interesting), which is probably why it didn't circulate as much and is the most expensive now...

I did buy the LP box on issue...glad that it's not obsolete...would like the DVD someday, maybe...

Just dug out my LPs - the tracklists on the CDs are identical, indeed.

Not sure how the whole thing compares to the four discs mentioned in the first post. But CD and LP releases seem to be 100% same.

This seems to be the general consensus (that CD4 isn't that interesting), which is probably why it didn't circulate as much and is the most expensive now...

Yeah but disc 4 has Jimmy Smith and Lou Donaldson plus some Kenny Burrell.

I do know from reading about this concert, Alfred Lion wanted Hank Mobley to play, but Hank was no longer playing. He was in the audience. I wonder how hard it must have been for him seeing all his colleagues up on stage and he couldn’t be a part of the celebration.

Yeah but disc 4 has Jimmy Smith and Lou Donaldson plus some Kenny Burrell.

I do know from reading about this concert, Alfred Lion wanted Hank Mobley to play, but Hank was no longer playing. He was in the audience. I wonder how hard it must have been for him seeing all his colleagues up on stage and he couldn’t be a part of the celebration.

Not on the vinyl.. it has Charles Lloyd and this guitar player.... Jordan?

What's that "that a friend" has? Inofficial?

Check AMG for the contents of the four albums (CDs - same as on my LPs).

so its only on the japan version of the box set? is that in regards to cd + lp versions? i thought it was a bonus 45 rpm which included this track when you bought the complete LP version. domestic, or intl, i dont know. i have mp3 of it-- its still awesome even though hank doesnt blow. he gets to say a few words, its good. hes all, i thought i was the oldest cat who recorded for blue note, but lou donaldson has me beat, lol