Monk Blue Note Genius of Modern Music, CDs vs LPs

Teasing the Korean

ttk, I think the RVGs sound better to be honest, they seem to be from better sources and the mono RVG editions sound really good to me.

That said the new SHM-CD versions from Japan sound better by a bit. Worth checking out.

I just received the Milt Jackson Blue Note SHM-CD and it is clearly mentioned on the rear card that it contains "original remastering by RVG" - does it mean that the well known RVGs have been re-remastered on top for these SHM-CDs? Do the Genius Monk SHM-CDs bear the same credit to RVG? Thanks.

Rudy Van Gelder mastered the 12" LP, hence "original remastering by Rudy Van Gelder."

True, but this is not mentioned on other SHM-CDs as well, whose the original LP versions were also remastered by RVG.

ttk, I think the RVGs sound better to be honest, they seem to be from better sources and the mono RVG editions sound really good to me.

That said the new SHM-CD versions from Japan sound better by a bit. Worth checking out.

I just received the Milt Jackson Blue Note SHM-CD and it is clearly mentioned on the rear card that it contains "original remastering by RVG" - does it mean that the well known RVGs have been re-remastered on top for these SHM-CDs? Do the Genius Monk SHM-CDs bear the same credit to RVG? Thanks.

Rudy Van Gelder mastered the 12" LP, hence "original remastering by Rudy Van Gelder."

True, but this is not mentioned on other SHM-CDs as well, whose the original LP versions were also remastered by RVG.

Yes it is, go check your version of Thelonious Monk Trio (UCCO-5227) from the Prestige 7000 series. It gives two remastering credits, one for the 12"LP compilation from the fifties and one 2013 DSD credit.

Another example is Eminent J.J. Johnson Vol.1.

Yes it is, go check your version of Thelonious Monk Trio (UCCO-5227) from the Prestige 7000 series. It gives two remastering credits, one for the 12"LP compilation from the fifties and one 2013 DSD credit.

I get it. Thanks!

But, as another question in general, when it is not mentioned [e.g. Larry Young's Unity] does it mean that the original recording pressed on vinyl back then was not remastered by RVG (inlikely?), or the SHM-CD DSD remaster is not based on the original RVG remastering meaning that Cuscuna used the non-mastered mixed down tape and had it remastered anew for the SHM-CD?

Edited by Alexandros

I get it. Thanks!

But, as another question in general, when it is not mentioned [e.g. Larry Young's Unity] does it mean that the original recording pressed on vinyl back then was not remastered by RVG (inlikely?), or the SHM-CD DSD remaster is not based on the original RVG remastering meaning that Cuscuna used the non-mastered mixed down tape and had it remastered anew for the SHM-CD?

I think it is specifically mentioned for mono 12" LP compilations of material only partially recorded by Van Gelder. The SHM series adheres to the 12"LP track order and artwork. The Japanese are just being thorough.

The Prestige series was mastered by Paul Blackmore, the BN SHMs are based on the Bernie Grundman transfers and tweaked by Japanese hands. Comparing the HD Tracks 24bit/192kHz Monk FLACs with the SHM gives enough ground for this conclusion.

Other examples, Clifford Brown Memorial Album, Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 1, Miles Davis Vol. 1 & 2.

Edited by erwbol

Me too, I couldn't live without the Columbia albums, they're magnificent.

Heartily seconded. I don't think I could live without "Monk's Dream", "Tokyo" and "Big Band and Quartet" albums especially.

My three, or actually it's me four. :) He may have made a few lesser albums for Columbia, but a lot of that catalog is absolutely essential for me.

Edited by John L