Monk Blue Note Genius of Modern Music, CDs vs LPs

Teasing the Korean

This has probably been discussed, but I couldn't find the thread.

I've had later pressings of the LPs, Vol. 1 and 2, and later, had the Blue Note "Best of Monk" CD from the 1990s.

I recently picked up the RVG versions of both Genius Vol. 1 and 2 on CD, for the bonus tracks, RVG remastering and the original 10" cover art.

Does anyone know why the 1948 session with Milt Jackson is omitted? I could have fit. It's especially weird that tracks from those sessions were on the LPs, and a few are even listed on the 10" LP covers used for the CDs, even though they don't appear on the CDs.

I realize that those 6 tracks with Milt are on a Milt Jackson RVG CD, so they are available. Still, I don't think anyone would have minded the duplication between the Monk and Milt albums. Seems strange.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

According to Michael Cuscuna/Michel Ruppli's Blue Note discography the April 7, 1952 session was led by Milt Jackson, that's probably why they reissued it under his name in the RVG series and didn't include it on the Monk RVG CDs.

These session were conceived for issue on 10 inch LPs - they filled these nicely. Probelms arose whenever there was too little or too much music for a 12 incher, so they compiled. The first series of those Blue Note 12 inch LPs is just that. I prefer the 10 inch LPs as basic listening order.

I think the RVGs have the best digital sound I've heard of this material. Get the Milt Jackson ones too. They're great.

yes, the're very great. wizard of the vibes is wonderful. from its cover to the content, which is basically the modern jazz quartet plus lou donaldson before the MJQ. and this is part of my favorite 5000 10" series.

which is basically the modern jazz quartet plus lou donaldson before the MJQ.

oh, yes. i forgot. on the rvg cd there's another session with monk, which in my opinion was added to the cd but didn't appear on the 10" lp. the 10" lps were time limited. very time limited, so i guess the first session was recorded for inclusion in the lp. but not the second one, which, curiosly is previous. but that's my guess. i'll have to read the liner notes...

Actually, the titles were recorded as singles and later compiled as 10 and 12 inch lps and cds.

Understood, but that fact doesn't make the album lineups as experienced any less iconic.

Perhaps the iconic nature depends on one's age though. My father has most of these titles as originally issued on 78s or 10" LPs, and I have them as reissued on CD with the Milt Jackson-led sessions under his own name. Neither of us has ever owned LPs of this material.

Perhaps the iconic nature depends on one's age though. My father has most of these titles as originally issued on 78s or 10" LPs, and I have them as reissued on CD with the Milt Jackson-led sessions under his own name. Neither of us has ever owned LPs of this material.

Some of those Milt Jackson-(allegedly)-led tunes were on the 10" LPs your Dad owned, and were cut from the CDs. Even if that were not the case, we're still talking about a pretty broad swath of the listening audience who purchased these on 12" LP between the 1950s and 1980s. The 3 or 4 tunes could have easily fit on the CDs. The aforementioned listening audience must comprise a significant percentage of the CDs' target audience. They should have been included.

• 3 years later...

ttk, I think the RVGs sound better to be honest, they seem to be from better sources and the mono RVG editions sound really good to me.

That said the new SHM-CD versions from Japan sound better by a bit. Worth checking out.

Thanks, as I thought. I'll stick with these RVGs and then pick up that Milt Jackson for the missing tracks. Along with the Riverside Monk box set and all the Columbia albums, that's probably enough Monk for one lifetime!

ttk, I think the RVGs sound better to be honest, they seem to be from better sources and the mono RVG editions sound really good to me.

That said the new SHM-CD versions from Japan sound better by a bit. Worth checking out.

I just received the Milt Jackson Blue Note SHM-CD and it is clearly mentioned on the rear card that it contains "original remastering by RVG" - does it mean that the well known RVGs have been re-remastered on top for these SHM-CDs? Do the Genius Monk SHM-CDs bear the same credit to RVG? Thanks.

Edited by Alexandros

I just received the Milt Jackson Blue Note SHM-CD and it is clearly mentioned on the rear card that it contains "original remastering by RVG" - does it mean that the well known RVGs have been re-remastered on top for these SHM-CDs? Do the Genius Monk SHM-CDs bear the same credit to RVG? Thanks.

Rudy Van Gelder mastered the 12" LP, hence "original remastering by Rudy Van Gelder."

Edited by erwbol