By David Kastin, and not at all bad, but frankly not really good either.

This is a modest biography, best used to learn a bit about the Baroness's lineage, Rothschild family history, and early life in the early chapters. But it has a few more things going for it: there are a few insights into lesser-known musicians and one club (see below).

My main reservation here is that there is little about Nica Rothschild de Koenigswarter's circle of jazz musicians she befriended and patronized that isn't already covered in other books (and that circle is Mr. Kastin's centerpiece). For example there are many pages spent on Nica's relationship with Monk, but this is already covered in Robin G. Kelly's Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original (from which Mr. Kastin quotes liberally, and which is a far better book---IMO one of the best biographies of a jazz musician I've read). But the coverage of Monk and Nica is well-researched and I appreciate the fact that there are now two books went the extra mile on this. The more, the merrier.

There's little about Charlie Parker having died in Nica's apartment not covered hundreds of times, including the lurid press coverage. However the fresh angle here is Nica, not Bird, as biographical subject, and in particular her being dumped on by the (racist) tabloid press---Walter Winchell in the front ranks---in the indirect but unmistakeable style of the day for not only consorting with Parker and other jazzers of note, but being a Rothschild and a Jew.

I'm surprised Mr. Kastin was either unable or unwilling to interview or obtain access to Barry Harris, a Nica devotee still living in her Weehawken home. Maybe something happened to prevent this, but knowing Barry since 1976 I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be thrilled to talk at length about Nica, who he adored, and provide stories and insights. Whatever happened or did not it amounts to a wasted opportunity that would've significantly upped the book's value. There's also only a precious few pages on the Jazz Cultural Theater, Barry's teaching space and a performance venue for some superb musicians from 1982-1987---but, more to the point, a regular Nica hangout and project she helped underwrite (the book does touch briefly on the latter point). Again, more exhaustive coverage would've made this a much worthier addition to the literature. Many people from that scene are around and would've granted interviews. But at least there are those few pages. The JCT has been almost written out of jazz history. I give Mr. Kastin points for at least mentioning it and getting the facts straight.

The book does not contain the most holding prose I've read, in fact it's wooden and workmanlike at times(a little more life sometimes, please. She was a hell of an interesting gal), but I do admire Mr. Kastin's apparent desire to leave no footprint of his own personality in staying out of the way and telling the story. However, strangely, a gossipy tone does sneak in at times, which I found irritating.

Also on the plus side there is a pretty in-depth rendering of the scene at the Five Spot, with a good set-up describing the pre-Monk doings. There are also cameos of musicians not always covered, like Buell Nedlinger.

So all in all a not at all bad, long-overdue, and worthwhile if unremarkable start on the subject of Nica. Let's keep 'em coming.

I just read the book and agree with the review, but it's nice to a little more information after all.

I also got the feeling that the author is not a "bone fide" jazz fan, or that he really know about the music and the history.

By the way, I don't believe that Nica's Weehawken house is there any more. I think it has at least been a tear down.

When I put the address in one of those satellite servers. It didn't look like the same house at all.

At least not from above!

But now that you mentioned it I looked a little harder and see that the heirs still are owners of record and that maybe the satellite showed the wrong house.

As you can see ( I hope) the hose to the north is the one I was referring to, and the one just below or to the south, is much smaller than the other and it looks like it could be Nica's house.

Edited by marcello

I just read the book and agree with the review, but it's nice to a little more information after all.

I also got the feeling that the author is not a "bone fide" jazz fan, or that he really know about the music and the history.

That's the thing, Marcello: He's not a music person, at least not a jazz person. His jazz pages and paragraphs were stiff and mostly retreads. The blurb says he's a 'music historian'. I don't know about music, but his bona fides as a pretty good historian are evident in the first few chapters about the Rothschilds' history and Nica and husband Jules, their wartime French resistance doings. These are very well done, and also the only time his prose lights up. He writes like a historian, a bit dry. But I learned quite a bit about Nica's early life and the Rothschild and Koenigswater clans. Not quite brought to life, but fleshed out pretty well. 'Just the facts, ma'am'.

I recommend taking this out of the library and reading the first 3 chapters.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaCiENv8YGk&feature=related

Here's the entire film, which I post with the greatest reluctance since I believe people should be paid for their good works. Youtube makes it harder and harder.

The lecture ends there, but on the honor system if you enjoy it will some of you purchase rather than download it? I will do the same, that's a pledge. I especiall will since I met Nica and visited the home, experienced at least a little what it was like in the place. I wish I could have actually gotten to know her. Anyway, bless her for all she did for this music and its practitioners.

but on the honor system if you enjoy it will some of you purchase rather than download it?

I watched it when it was broadcast on HBO, DVR-ed it for one more viewing, was glad I did, enjoyable enough, but really have no burning desire to see it again, on YouTube or DVR. I think my moral obligation is complete, no?

but on the honor system if you enjoy it will some of you purchase rather than download it?

I watched it when it was broadcast on HBO, DVR-ed it for one more viewing, was glad I did, enjoyable enough, but really have no burning desire to see it again, on YouTube or DVR. I think my moral obligation is complete, no?

I don't know. I'm not God. All I meant is that we should pay or at least think about it rather than just take. At least our generation can understand that. That's as far as I go with this. (Descends from soapbox)....

I just watched the film, and found it superb and very moving. Not just a talking heads joint. It really captured Nica and her relationship with Monk. The conceit of the great-niece discovering her great-aunt and picking up the pieces to make this after Nica's death works very well, also. Not corny at all. I'm going to give this to someone as a present, maybe someone who doesn't know about jazz, to give a prime example of how special the people can be.

I'd like to think so, I mean, I paid Time-Warner Cable for both HBO & the DVR, so any money that didn't go to where it needs to is between Time-Warner Cable & HBO, which is really cost center vs cost center.

I feel you, dog. But it's still a bad precedent not to pay. Not everyone is a bad guy and it's a sign of respect to pay a lousy $15 or whatever for something we believe in---especially with so little to believe in nowadays. That's all it is.

I guess what I believe in is that I saw it when and how it was legitimately offered throught the terms of my cable agreement, so since I really don't feel any overwhelming urge to see it again, I'm PIF.

Of course, if anybody didn't see it and/or has that overwhelming urge, by all means buy the DVD, don't burn a copy from YouTube, unless you like half-ass video and audio quality, in which case, you'll be getting what you ask for, in more ways than one.

Does anyone kmow if the DVD of this is available for purchase anywhere? Online or better brick-and-mortar in NYC? The HBO website doesn't mention it, Amazon.com only has an audio version, and the dedicated Jazz Baroness site mentions a 2012 release. I think there's gotta be a way to get one now since it's been extant for at least a year. I want to surprise a dear friend I'm seeing Monday with a present.

Tell me here or hit me with a PM--s'il vous plait.

Edited by fasstrack