Stereo-Gems Label - Newark NJ

Dan Gould

Stumbled across a 45 by "The Gene Harris Trio" playing "It Might as Well Be Spring" and "I"m Beginning to See the Light". Pretty sure these titles are not on the two infamous Jubilee "Gene Harris" LPs but I know the Sounds did the Ellington number and I'm pretty sure they recorded It Might as Well Be Spring for BN too.

Its Stereo-Gems 124 to be exact.

So did Stereo-Gems license material from BN? Doesn't really make sense since it seems that BN did pretty well with Three Sounds 45s.

Anyone know? Chuck or Jack?

As always, thanks in advance!

Thanks anyway - I just found the track list for Genie In My Soul which is the second Jubilee release by the "Gene Harris Trio" - neither of these tracks are on it, and neither track is on the earlier Jubilee Our Love is Here to Stay which Janie Harris told me Gene definitively stated was indeed his first recording, when he got out of the army.

So if we eliminate the Jubilee LPs as the potential source, it actually gets more confusing. The Sounds did record "I'm Beginning to See the Light" on the Moods LP but their recording of "It Might as Well be Spring" came out in Japan in the 70s on the Introducing, Volume 2 LP. So I am not even sure that it could be sourced from a BN session in the first place.

So maybe the possibilities are:

1. Gene did a session while the band was under contract to BN but didn't make any effort to hide his identity to stay on Alfred's good side. Doesn't really make sense because I don't think he had the reputation to justify it.

2. It came from a Jubilee session, and might have been recorded by the Caucasian Gene Harris pictured on the back of the second Jubilee LP, but not issued on the LP that was released.

3. The Ellington number was licensed from BN and so was "It Might as Well Be Spring" since the recording was on the session tapes, just not released on the Introducing LP.

I think I may have to snap this up in the blind hope that it really is an unheard Gene Harris session.

Well I did snag this and will be sure to report back. One factor that worked in favor was that the seller offers a money-back guarantee so should it not be demonstrably "the" Gene Harris, I will only be out shipping both ways, about $4.50 probably.

But I've done some more thinking about this mystery and for one thing, there is no "courtesy of Blue Note Records" or for that matter, "courtesy of Jubilee Records" or any licensing statement either so the likelihood of it being licensed seems more and more remote.

For anyone interested, here are the key facts that I may have not laid out clearly.

Jubilee Records put out two LPs by the Gene Harris Trio - Our Love is Here to Stay (1955) and Genie In My Soul (1959). Janie Harris says Gene identified the former as his first recording session, and to the extent that it sounds kinda like OP, it seems like it is him. And I'm not going to doubt what Janie says Gene told her.

Genie In My Soul however is a real odd one. There's a white guy pictured on the back, and a bio is given that is completely different (went to Julliard, plays in Boston). And the piano really doesn't sound like him. Janie seems to think that it is him but has never said that Gene specifically identified the LP as his, and it seems strange that in 1959, with their growing success on Blue Note, that he'd record with a different band for another label. If it actually sounded like Gene I might believe it but I have suspected all along that there was a second Gene Harris who made at least one record.

So ... the question is which Gene Harris recorded this unknown 45? I am really hoping it sounds just like Gene and doesn't match the Blue Note recordings of the tunes, because then I will have rescued a forgotten recording to the delight of discographers everywhere.

:g

And yet his widow says that while relaxing between sets at a club in Japan, the recording came over the sound system and Gene told her "Oh my god, this is the first album I ever recorded, right after I got out of the army" and the owner of the club brought him an LP to sign and it was that very one, with the tinted cover photo of a beach scene.

I agree it doesn't sound like him but you have the man himself saying it was him ... so who to believe?

fwiw these are the other five stereo gems releases i could find

Stereo Gems # 107-110: Lenny Herman (Singin' In The Rain / Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey, Tico-Tico / Misirlou, Say It With Music / Crazy Rhythm, Once in a while/New world theme)

Stereo Gems # 115 7 LEMONS ON THE ROCK - CONFESSIN / ROYAL GARDEN BLUES

Dan:

The link below makes it look as if there might be still another Gene Harris trio 45 on Stereo-Gems. If I interpret the information correctly, it looks as if Stereo-Gems 122 is the Gene Harris trio: By The Waters of Minnetonka/It's Only a Paper Moon.

Another Gene Harris 45 listed here?

Well I got the 45 and while I'm not confident that its "the" Gene Harris, there are spots that make me think it could be him. But I am hardly sure, so ... tell me your opinion, please.

Edited by jazztrain

thank you Dan, and please add what you found jazztrain (as a more or less Gene Harris outsider: this grumbling (doesn't deserve being called singing along) by one of the musicians, presumably the piano player - characteristic of Gene Harris?

some more Stereo Gems (they should have made a concept album out of those):

BLAIR-SMYTHE SOCIETY ORCHESTRA:

STEREO - GEMS 101 Moonlight Becomes You | Stairway To The Stars

STEREO - GEMS 102 Moon Over Miami | Stareyes

STEREO - GEMS 104 Moonlight in Vermont | Stardust

STEREO - GEMS 106 Orchids in the moonlight | How high the moon

edit: indeed this concept album by the Blair Smythe Society Orchestra exists: Moon Music on Janus Records, no idea whether its the same music

link

Edited by Niko

little bit more (still trying to use these other artists to date anything, hasn't worked out yet)

here is the label of another Janus release

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONCERT-STEREO-CARMEN-SUITE-JANUS-FST-1001-LP-/280394360152

and it says

Frank L Kaltman Enterprises Newark NJ

and Kaltman is someone who is a bit less obscure, mainly associated with a label named Folkraft, will keep digging...

this seems relevant, Janus was founded in 1958, Kaltman bought these tapes including Lenny Herman records from a company named Livingston Audio Products, Essex NJ...

Edited by Niko

Niko:

I had also found references to three of the Blair-Smythe Society Orchestra issues.

I also found these two which may may not have been mentioned before (unless I missed them in the thread):

Stereo-Gems 113. 7 Lemons on the Rocks. Tin Roof Blues/Indiana

Stereo-Gems 112. Lenny Herman. Humoresque/Roses of Picardy

thank you Dan, and please add what you found jazztrain (as a more or less Gene Harris outsider: this grumbling (doesn't deserve being called singing along) by one of the musicians, presumably the piano player - characteristic of Gene Harris?

some more Stereo Gems (they should have made a concept album out of those):

BLAIR-SMYTHE SOCIETY ORCHESTRA:

STEREO - GEMS 101 Moonlight Becomes You | Stairway To The Stars

STEREO - GEMS 102 Moon Over Miami | Stareyes

STEREO - GEMS 104 Moonlight in Vermont | Stardust

STEREO - GEMS 106 Orchids in the moonlight | How high the moon

edit: indeed this concept album by the Blair Smythe Society Orchestra exists: Moon Music on Janus Records, no idea whether its the same music

link

Niko:

Here's some information on Livingston Audio Products: Livingston Audio Products

little bit more (still trying to use these other artists to date anything, hasn't worked out yet)

here is the label of another Janus release

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONCERT-STEREO-CARMEN-SUITE-JANUS-FST-1001-LP-/280394360152

and it says

Frank L Kaltman Enterprises Newark NJ

and Kaltman is someone who is a bit less obscure, mainly associated with a label named Folkraft, will keep digging...

this seems relevant, Janus was founded in 1958, Kaltman bought these tapes including Lenny Herman records from a company named Livingston Audio Products, Essex NJ...

Thanks Niko and Jazztrain for your efforts so far. It would be great to narrow down a time-frame if we could find out any release dates on these 45s.

And Niko, I didn't even notice any "grumbling" but I've never known Gene to engage in anything like it. I need to listen much closer to figure out if its the pianist; if it is I would say its proof positive that its not the Gene Harris I care about.

there are some fairly weird sounds in the background between 1:20 and 1:30 on "I'm Beginning to See the Light"... obviously, this is the type of thing you'd try to get rid off over the years - so maybe we can say if it's the real Gene Harris, it must more or less be an early recording?

plus: this whole Kaltman/Stereo... thing seems to have targeted primarily a white audience with white musicians? again doesn't mean anything and I don't have proof but this would make THE Gene Harris a bit unlikely...

what do we know about the other white Gene Harris who allegedly recorded this second Jubilee Gene Harris LP?

Edited by Niko

there are some fairly weird sounds in the background between 1:20 and 1:30 on "I'm Beginning to See the Light"... obviously, this is the type of thing you'd try to get rid off over the years - so maybe we can say if it's the real Gene Harris, it must more or less be an early recording?

Good ears! Its such a weird sound, I'm thinking recording or pressing or playback anomaly.

plus: this whole Kaltman/Stereo... thing seems to have targeted primarily a white audience with white musicians? again doesn't mean anything and I don't have proof but this would make THE Gene Harris a bit unlikely...

I tend to agree with you.

what do we know about the other white Gene Harris who allegedly recorded this second Jubilee Gene Harris LP?

Nothing but what is in the liner notes ... and for whatever reason, the liners to Our Love is Here to Stay, (apparently definitely "the" Gene Harris) has the same details:

Gene Harris is the perfect example of the artist with great feel for Jazz, wonderful beat, and the technical training necessary to execute his ideas. His classical background leaves nothing to be desired having studied at Julliard, Boston School of Music, New York College of Music and with Leo Litwin. He has appeared in concert with the Boston Philharmonic and at Harvard University.

Related to your second point - is it possible Jubilee doctored-up his bio because they wanted to position the record toward a white audience that would be more likely to listen if they thought the leader was a "classically trained" musician?

I haven't searched myself but I've been told by at least one person that they've never found any info online about a white Gene Harris jazz pianist in the 50s. Might be interesting though to try to find out about white pianists enrolled at Julliard during the period.

• 1 year later...

Well I used the Stereo Gems 45 in the current BFT (still available for D/L!) and for the heck of it I searched google for "gene harris stereo gems" and lo and behold it looks like I missed an ebay auction of another 45:

Gene Harris Trio Ballin' The Jack I Love You 45 Jazz Stereo Gems ...
cgi.ebay.com › Music › RecordsCached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Gene Harris Trio Ballin' The Jack / I love You 45 Jazz Stereo Gems 123 3 Sounds in Music, Records | eBay.

Clicking on the cache link I see that it sold in December for $12. Wish you could see who wins an ebay auction, I would love to contact the winner.

I gotta say that Ballin' The Jack sounds more like a tune for Gene Harris to record than "By The Waters of Minnetonka". :g

Edited by Dan Gould