Montreal jazz fest 2011

Because of my computer problems forgot to give you news about the summer Montreal jazz scene

The Suoni per Il Popolo is in its last week and what a week it will be ; The Craig Taborn project Farmers by Nature, The Thing , Atomic etc. If you add up the already terrific show saw the last few weeks, Satoko Fujii in a quartet, David Ware and Jason Sharp solo, Charles Gayle, solo Joëlle Léandre with François Houle and Raymond Strid we're on our way to have one of the finest festival since the debut of the Suoni in its eleven years of existence

http://www.liftticke...lpopolo/2011-06

Regarding the big fest, as it is now more and moree the case a lot of non jazz crap, seriously the headliner is freakin' Peter Frampton playing Frampton comes aloive !!! Outside gigs fare no better with none other than the B 52 coming on the big stage. Once that said, you still hasve interesting acts and make yourself a fine festival but the jazz fan in me is tired to be playing second banana. They are three series worth our attention both series at the Gésu among one called Jazzbeat where we will see David Binney Mark Turner , Geri Allen and Don Byron to name a few.

The other Gesu series is Jazz dans la nuit starring Brad Mehldau in solo, Tigran Hamasyan in a quartet, Anat Cohen and probably my standout show of the festival with Jean-Michel Pilc with his original trio Ari Hoenig and François Moutin .

The invitation series is rather a strong one with three day residencies by Marc Ribot, Dave Holland and Anouar Brahem

http://www.montrealj...default-en.aspx

Edited by Van Basten II

Suoni is over, outstanding year, of the 8 concerts attended 7 of them fall into the good to fantastic category.

If I had to do a podium it would go like this

1 Farmers by Nature

2 Satoko Fujii Ma-Do

3 Atomic

Big jazz fest started yesterday with suprise suprise no jazz among the concerts. Saw Robert Plant's Band of Joy, very enjoyable, Plant has not much of a voice anymore but he showed some energy plus Patty Griffin was as good as you can find as a backup singer. Buddy Miller showed his stuff.

Plant was overshadowed by Prince who decided to do an inpromptu concert for two nights at the Metropolis, unfortunately tickets were out of my price range. Along the lines of 170 $ for a single ticket, heck I bought for 8 gigs at the Suoni for a similar price.

Tonight true jazz starts with David Binney, Marc Ribot's Ceramic dog and Brad Mehldau in solo at the beautiful Gésu venue

Edited by Van Basten II

A rare opportunity to hear Magos Herrera at this festival on July 2.

http://www.magosherrera.com/

Festival Internacional de Jazz de Montreal

Magos Herrera

Saturday July 2, 2011

20:00hrs

Scene/ Stage Rio Tinto Alcan

Line up:

Magos herrera.vocals

Nir felder.guitar

Luis perdomo.piano

Hans glawishnig.bass

Alex kautz.drums

Rogerio Bocatto.percussion

Thanks for tip KH, three solid very different gigs, Binney and his drummer Weiss were at the top of their game and offered a strong performance of contemporary jazz, Ribot's gig was quite loud a bit of punk attoitude, heard the heavies version of Take 5 I've ever heard. Mehldau showed why he is one of the best interprets of modern popular music, Radiohead, Nirvana, Hendrix he incorporates it all in a very classic but worth hearing performance.

He also provided for the quote of the week, as he commented on the subdued sound of the piano, she's an old lady, I have to be soft, I can't tear her asshole as much as I'd like to ...:rofl:

Another trio of gigs yesterday.

Started Diana Krall playing solo, not very good I'm afraid, forget about jazz even as a varity pop music kind of thing it was not really successful, she try to act like it was a casual thing like she was singing in her living room but in a setting with more than 1000 people, forget about it, she played music of het youth 9Nat King Cole, Fats Waller) think I should say music she discovered when she was young and can not say her interpretations were very convincing.even in a kinda lounge singer format.

Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos a hell of a party, a hell of good music that made you want to move your feet.

Mehldau and Redman in a duet, I know they do have their share of detractors here, but I have enjoyed Redman's recent work and Mehldau is a favourite of mine, anyway thought they were terrific, Redman 's has matured a lot just straight smart beautiful music and a heck of a way to close the night.

Tonight Geri Allen playing her project Timeline , Marc Ribot's Caged Funk and Stéphane Belmondo with among others with Krt Lightsay and Billy Hart.

Forgot to update this in the last few days saw Timeline with Geri Allen, fine ensemble but to me the tap dancer was a distraction, don't get me wrong he was amazing buit visually he detracts you from watching the other people on stage and times it was more Maurice Chestnut and his musician at times.

Caged Funk was an intriguing as Ribot Took John Cage's composition and adapted them to his band which included a dj, a B3 player plus another guitarist, not an easy one to digest but that's what made Ribot so compelling , he covers such a wide range of music.

Belmondo was very enjoyable, it was rather straight ahead stuff but Lightsay and Hart made it swing big time, everyone was having a ball.

The Fly project was excellent , it has more of a ECM touch, so if you like your jazz to be outgoing and peope soloing like crazy this may not be your thing, but the three guys played beautiful ensemble work, probably the best gig involving Marc Turner I saw over the years, for those not in the know the other members are Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard also known as the rythym section for Brad Mehldau.

It was followed by Kenny Barron and Dave Holland, it was nice but a bit too clean and after a while thought there was little much to say, never felt any fireworks. Not a memorable gig.

The fireworks were delivered by Tigran Hamasyan and his project Arrata Rebirth, to pastiche Chewy OMG OMG OMG What a great show !. Good thing the guitar that is usually part of the band was not there , he would have tore the roof out . It's not what you can call jazz , although they are elements of it , more impoetantly it's amazing music which incorporates tradittional Armenian songs with a zest of heavy metal and very fine musicianship , do yourself a favour and see them live or buy the CD.

Last night saw Lee Fields and the Expressions, an old pro soul show with the clichés that come with it, rather short clocking at 75 minutes in all including all the time wasting gimmicks that are used for this type of music, expected a bit more.

And ended the evening with Rudresh Mahanthappa's Apex, they are at the start of their tour it kinda showed, fine musicianship, the band includes Bunky Green among others, Matt Mitchell was a revelation on the piano, but collectively it was lacking, this band has yet to gel and make things click, it was more of a jam last night.

Edited by Van Basten II

Saw Marianne Trudel with her septet nice enjopyable MariaSchneideresque music, followed by the project Thimar which involves Anouar Brahem, Dave Holland and John Surman which made for beatiful lyrical music, only negative was that the started late so I ended up not being able to see Jeremy Pelt.